Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cambridgeshire meet up - new thread

Cambridgeshire meet up - new thread

Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

hawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nice
Default Re: Cambridgeshire meet up - new thread

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Hawkwind,

Good luck with the IELTS test, I sat mine in November 07 and got an overall grade of 9.0. I gave it the respect it deserves and actually studied a fair bit for it. I used the Barrons revision book which you can buy from Amazon for about £10 plus delivery. It has loads of sample test papers and a CD to practice the listening exam as well. Any questions on the test, give me a shout.

We applied for a 176 back in November (hoping to have a CO by April) and would love to meet up with you guys if it's anywhere near us - we live in Newport Pagnell and would be happy to drive for upto about an hour.

Cheers,

Colin & Toni
Colin & Toni,

I got my test date through today from IELTS. I'm sitting the tests on the 8th of March. Strangely enough, I've also purchased the Barron's book. I'm just wading through it now, so I know what to expect. With the test being in Cambridge, I'm sure they will be after word perfect English in the speaking test, rather than the oo-ar country style. (I grew up in Norfolk )

Must remember not to use slang expressions in the exam!!!

As long as I get 7.0 in all of the tests I'll be happy.

I'm sure there will be more information about a meet up soon. It would be good to meet others in the same situation. I'm in Stevenage myself.

All the best,

Rick (aka Hawkwind)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Good luck with the test Rick - same as you, I didn't care what I ended up with in terms of a grade, as long as it was 7.0 or above.

Speaking was fine actually, don't remember having to mind my p's and q's, it was just a normal chat about a normal subject.

Great to hear you've got the Barrons book, a friend of mine on BE used the official IELTS materials first time round and failed, I sent her my book and she passed 2nd time...

Yeah, Stevenage isn't too far away from us is it. What's your story, what job do you do, is it just you / family, where you heading, etc.?

Colin
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

hawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nicehawkwind is just really nice

Good luck with the test Rick - same as you, I didn't care what I ended up with in terms of a grade, as long as it was 7.0 or above.

Speaking was fine actually, don't remember having to mind my p's and q's, it was just a normal chat about a normal subject.

Great to hear you've got the Barrons book, a friend of mine on BE used the official IELTS materials first time round and failed, I sent her my book and she passed 2nd time...

Yeah, Stevenage isn't too far away from us is it. What's your story, what job do you do, is it just you / family, where you heading, etc.?

Colin
Well, briefly, I'm an IT consultant. I'm looking to work over in Oz on a Skilled Independent Visa. Probably start out in Sydney as most of the work appears to be there at the moment. However I'd go wherever the work is really.

I've not got a family to move out with me, so no problems there really. Even my parents have said "go for it!!"

Well, I'd never know if I don't try

Rick
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

coops1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
Just signed up to this forum, looks like some great info and help to be had here.

My wife and I live in Brandon, a get together sounds good to us.

We would be looking to obtaining a visa through via my wife. She is a CIMA qualified Accountant. She is 43 next birthday, so it's a case of, "lets get moving with this".
I am 49 and work in the computer industry, (Sun Microsystems), mainly hardware, but should be good for a junior Systems admin role, so I'm sure there will be plenty for me to do when we get out there.
We rather fancy Perth, and are planning a visit October time.

Anyway that will do for a brief introduction from us.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Ian & Sandra
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Hi all,

Sorry i've not been on in ages - I am just recovering from a bad case of the flu. Does anyone have any suggested times/dates/locations fora meet up?

x
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by natalieml
Hi all,

Sorry i've not been on in ages - I am just recovering from a bad case of the flu. Does anyone have any suggested times/dates/locations fora meet up?

x
Hope you've fully recovered now, Natalie... I hate getting ill, I just get bored not being able to do much.

Dunno how everyone is for a meet up just after Easter? Thats about the only weekend I have free, myself, as I've got that lovely IELTs test to look forward to on March 8th...... (Managed to find another book with 6 sets of practice tests in it - Published by Longmans - 'IELTS Practice Tests 2 plus', I think it's called...)

I guess Cambridge is a good starting point as a suggestion for a place, although I am not to sure what people think of that (where everyone is, etc), so I'll just chuck that idea in...... Anyone know any good places around Cambridge? Think a nice pub with a garden might be an idea. Any suggestions? (I think there might be a couple around Teversham if I remember from when my Gran lived there - was a while ago tho.)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Rick
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Hope you've fully recovered now, Natalie... I hate getting ill, I just get bored not being able to do much.

Dunno how everyone is for a meet up just after Easter? Thats about the only weekend I have free, myself, as I've got that lovely IELTs test to look forward to on March 8th...... (Managed to find another book with 6 sets of practice tests in it - Published by Longmans - 'IELTS Practice Tests 2 plus', I think it's called...)

I guess Cambridge is a good starting point as a suggestion for a place, although I am not to sure what people think of that (where everyone is, etc), so I'll just chuck that idea in...... Anyone know any good places around Cambridge? Think a nice pub with a garden might be an idea. Any suggestions? (I think there might be a couple around Teversham if I remember from when my Gran lived there - was a while ago tho.)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Rick
Hi Rick / Natalie,

We would be up for a meet - anywhere between here (Milton Keynes) and Cambridge would be fine for us. Venue would need to be somewhere suitable for us to bring two young children (aged 4 and 2).

A bit busy after easter, but let us know what dates you have in mind and we'll see if we can make it.

Cheers,

Colin & Toni
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Hi Rick / Natalie,

We would be up for a meet - anywhere between here (Milton Keynes) and Cambridge would be fine for us. Venue would need to be somewhere suitable for us to bring two young children (aged 4 and 2).

A bit busy after easter, but let us know what dates you have in mind and we'll see if we can make it.

Cheers,

Colin & Toni
Ditto us. Have a 2 year old too. In Oz until 20th April tho so that may count us out

Adi
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, All. Just happened upon this thread and a 'local' meet sounds like a great idea! My names Tracey, I'm a nurse living with my husband and 8 yr old son in Saham Toney, Norfolk. We are looking to get over to Brisbane next Feb/March time and it would be lovely to make some friends before we get there. It would be particularly good for my son to meet some other kids his own age that are going because he is very apprehensive to say the least! I work shifts so obviously it would depend on these if we could make it, but given enough notice I could request the time off. Look forward to meeting you soon,

Tracey.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Just found it too, we are in Cambridgeshire near Holbech/Spalding area - have the visa but haven't sold. Two adults, 4 dogs and no kids
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

ok then, everyone list the dates that you are free / busy for April and I will see if any of them match up
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by natalieml
ok then, everyone list the dates that you are free / busy for April and I will see if any of them match up
Hi,

We could make the following:

Sat 5th
Sun 6th
Sat 12th
Sun 13th
Sat 26th
Sun 26th

As mentioned before, we live in Newport Pagnell so would prefer somewhere this side of Cambridge.

Cheers,

Colin & Toni
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Natalie,

The following are good for me at the moment.....

Sat 12th
Sun 13th
Sat 19th
Sun 20th
Sat 26th
Sun 27th

Rick
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, quick update as the dates are getting booked up, the best weekend for us at the moment is the 26th/27th April.

Cheers,

Colin and Toni
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rick,

Good luck with the IELTS test tomorrow, hope it goes well.

Cheers

Colin and Toni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.