British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Caloundra - Any information???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/caloundra-any-information-614201/)

wannabwarma Jun 11th 2009 4:24 am

Caloundra - Any information????

Hi folks

We are a family who are currently freezing our 'bits' off in Victoria.....I'm thinking it's about time we moved to a better climate - luckily the OH agrees:cool:

Having done a fair bit of research on the net - I'm thinking Caloundra looks like it could be for us....?

We have 3 young boys - 7, 5 and 3 - so schooling will be a big consideration.

We are sociable and want to live in a community with plenty going on - not being too far away from the action!

So - can anyone offer any insights into

- Good/Bad schools - do you need to live in the right catchment areas??
- Good/Bad housing areas - any areas to stay away from??
- Employment opportunities in the area/surrounding areas??

Any information - at all - would be great, personal opinions, warts and all please!

Many thanks,

The Ards :)

kim69 Jun 11th 2009 9:53 am

Re: Caloundra - Any information????

hi coloundra nice area depends wot type of house your wanting as to were you settle new estates with your average 600sqm block try pelican waters/belivista/little mountain there is also a older part of little mountain with bigger blocks 2000sqm these are located on the racecourse side of road..older estates are to be found in goldenbeach some parts of this appear run down but its a lovely area with some nce houses been built were theyve bought a wreck n knocked down n rebuilt.shelley beach/moffatt beach nice but can be expensive.
couldnt really comment on schools as our children go to school in diffrnt area but i feel most schoools would be better on coast than wot was available in england hope this helps a bit :):):)

helena39 Jun 11th 2009 10:19 am

Hi, we are moving to Caloundra June 30th. We loved it when we visited in April. The town is lovely, lots of shops cafes etc. Lots of beaches to choose from. It is also very close to lots of other towns/shopping centers. We are heading to the newer part of Little Mountain. The schools seem to be great. Have heard great reports from guys who already live in Caloundra. We have Lauren 9 and Daniel 6 and will be going to Meridan State School.
Best of luck! :thumbsup:
Helena

wannabwarma Jun 11th 2009 11:29 am

Thanks for that folks - just the kind of info I'm after.

Kim - I think (in ideal world) and older area/house would be what I'm (I mean we're!!!) after.....so I'll do a bit of research on Little Mountain/Golden Beach areas.....

Helena - How far from the (Caloundra) town centre is Little Mountain - does it have it's own few shops???? How come you guys found/settled on this area in particular (I'm a nosey-noggin at heart :unsure: So tell me to get stuffed if you like!)

The colder the days get down here in Vic the more I dream of a better climate....Maybe I can even get the OH to shed some money out for a visit up there sooner rather than later :fingerscrossed:

helena39 Jun 11th 2009 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by wannabwarma (Post 7655319)

Kim - I think (in ideal world) and older area/house would be what I'm (I mean we're!!!) after.....so I'll do a bit of research on Little Mountain/Golden Beach areas.....

Helena - How far from the (Caloundra) town centre is Little Mountain - does it have it's own few shops???? How come you guys found/settled on this area in particular (I'm a nosey-noggin at heart :unsure: So tell me to get stuffed if you like!)

The colder the days get down here in Vic the more I dream of a better climate....Maybe I can even get the OH to shed some money out for a visit up there sooner rather than later :fingerscrossed:

Hiye,

We orginially choose there 2 years ago (can't remember why!!) House prices started to get high there so we looked at other places. Then the prices came down a lot and when we visited in April we fell in love with the place. There is a thread on people living in Caloundra. There are a big gang that want to make friends :thumbsup: Little mountain has it's own shops and Caloundra town is only about 5 mins drive as far as I know.
Helena

kim69 Jun 15th 2009 10:20 am

Originally Posted by wannabwarma (Post 7655319)

hi we dont actually live little mountain we live 5mins away in glenview but are often in coloundra for beach n takin dogs for walk.when we first got here we setlled in chancellor park thats nice area about 10 mins from coloundra or mooloolaba..you asked how we found this area well here it is we were just driving around the coast a few days after landing in brisbane and got to a road sign left to sippy downs or right to buderim we sed left or right turned left then put a offer in on house a hour later haha strange but true we done bugger all research but everythimgs worked out great....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

wannabwarma Jun 16th 2009 2:38 am

:D

Hahahaha - that's a fantastic story - I'm facinated how people end up to be where they are (house location, job, partner etc)....I'm a firm believer in fate, and if it's meant to be.......it's meant to be.

We've been in Aus for nearly 2 yrs now, and have ended up in a lovely part of Vic, and the OH has landed a good job, but having said that - it's not what we came over for - we're a good 30-40 mins from the sea, the weather is not the best, and we can't help but thinking ONE MORE MOVE and we'll have it perfect....

So next step (me thinks) is a recce up to QLD - good excuse for a break away too - and we'll finally see if it's all it's cracked up to be! :confused: