Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling windows XP experts.. pls help!

Calling windows XP experts.. pls help!

Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:36 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling windows XP experts.. pls help!

Sorry, nothing to do with Australia but I know there are loads of IT bods on here & plus this is one of the 2 forums I go on.. don't think they'd appreciate it in the immigration forum.

Well, I am really stuck.... my PC has recently been fixed and when i have got it back task manager is not working right.

When you try to open it either by right clicking on then task bar or doing ctrl-alt-del it doesn't open but you can see the little green box in the bar by the clock...... unfortunately it won't let you close it or open it or anything..... only thing you can do is reboot....

Any ideas???

Claire
x
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Calling windows XP experts.. pls help!

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Sorry, nothing to do with Australia but I know there are loads of IT bods on here & plus this is one of the 2 forums I go on.. don't think they'd appreciate it in the immigration forum.

Well, I am really stuck.... my PC has recently been fixed and when i have got it back task manager is not working right.

When you try to open it either by right clicking on then task bar or doing ctrl-alt-del it doesn't open but you can see the little green box in the bar by the clock...... unfortunately it won't let you close it or open it or anything..... only thing you can do is reboot....

Any ideas???

Claire
x
Try this:

Click on START
RUN
Type "taskmgr.exe" in the box (without the quotes)
Task Manager *should* then appear
You then have the option of closing it by clicking on the cross in the top right-hand corner (as usual)

Hope that helps. If not, come back to me and I'll investigate further

Cheers

BD
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:20 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
Try this:

Click on START
RUN
Task Manager *should* then appear
You then have the option of closing it by clicking on the cross in the top right-hand corner (as usual)

Hope that helps. If not, come back to me and I'll investigate further

Cheers

BD
Nope it has opened but is just sat in the bar by the closk. hover over it & it says windows task manager but it won't allow you to maximise it, etc....
I just tried to save a screen shot for you but my pc locked up.....

should i be worried...? i just looked in the event viewer, & there are LOADS of errors - the one for the screen shot i was trying to do says
"Hanging application mspaint.exe, version 5.1.2600.1106, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000."
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:53 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Calling windows XP experts.. pls help!

Try this:

Click on START
RUN
Dont need the ".exe" (without the quotes) either.

Sent you a PM.

R.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:02 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas???

Claire
x
Do you have anti-virus running? There is an old backdoor trojan that modifies TASKMGR.EXE and could give the symptoms you've described.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:13 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by wmoore
Do you have anti-virus running? There is an old backdoor trojan that modifies TASKMGR.EXE and could give the symptoms you've described.
yes i have panda titanium anti virus running
is there any way i can check for this trojan?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

yes i have panda titanium anti virus running
is there any way i can check for this trojan?
Update the anti-virus and tell it to do a full system scan. Sorry, can't be more precise than that as I've never used it!!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

When it's running, does it show up on the taskbar?

Hold down alt and press tab while it's running and you can highlight it, what happens when you do that?

Last resort, have you tried a system restore to a time when you know it was working?
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:08 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
When it's running, does it show up on the taskbar?

Hold down alt and press tab while it's running and you can highlight it, what happens when you do that?

Last resort, have you tried a system restore to a time when you know it was working?
Yes it shows on the taskbar & yes done restore twice now..... ;o(
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it shows on the taskbar & yes done restore twice now..... ;o(
Go to www.trendmicro.com and do an online virus check, also install Spybot and Adaware (find them on Google). If none of that works download Hijack This (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html). Read the instructions first then clear out any crud that is on the PC

This should fix any problems you have
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Is it maybe that the window is hidden? i.e, somebody may have moved it off screen, if that's the case there should be a wee tiny bit left of it on screen, enough to grab it and drag it back if you know what i mean. That's the only way i can replicate your problem.

Here's something else to try. Change the screen resolution to the lowest setting and see if it appears> If the window is hidden this should bring it back.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Just so that we have some background. You mentioned that your PC has just come back from being fixed. Can you tell us was wrong with it and what did they do to fix it?
Stu (joho's husband)
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:21 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
Just so that we have some background. You mentioned that your PC has just come back from being fixed. Can you tell us was wrong with it and what did they do to fix it?
Stu (joho's husband)
Was thinking the same thing, maybe just typical Windows installation problem.

However, have a look at http://scan.sygate.com/ there are a number of online scanners there that will check to see if there are possible trojans running on your system.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/195501 is a highly recommended anti trojan programme (a lot of anti virus progs won't pick up some trojans) and is fully functional and free for 30 days.

As mentioned above, hijackthis is a good programme to see exactly what is running on your machine and both Spybot and Adaware are a must. (Spybot will run in the background and let you know of any registry changes theat occur.

Hope you get it sorted soon
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joho
Stu (joho's husband)
Yeah, my thoughts too.

'Fixed' implies that something may have been amiss prior to this.

If you could let us know what they 'fixed' and how they 'fixed' whatever needed fixing we might be able to delve deeper

Just out of interest, did you use PC World?

Cheers

BD

PS Isn't it good to have your own free online support service? Just wish there were a few Apple Mac/OS X gurus around
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 1:46 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Just wish there were a few Apple Mac/OS X gurus around
What here? or just generally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.