Calling to UK from Aus using SKYPE

Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:02 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling to UK from Aus using SKYPE

buy one of these things

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-Skype-VoI...QQcmdZViewItem

It basically connects to the USB port on the computer and the main house phone, when someone rings you on skye (or you ring out) you can use the normal house phone. (if you want to phone someone on skype you basically press *, which tells the device to use the computer and not the telstra line)
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:45 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you looked at http://www.skypephone.com.au/products/dualphone.php for "The world’s first cordless 2-in-1 Skype™ Internet telephone"

and Yes, you can get USB extension cables, about $40 for 5 metres !

Yeh! Spotted that on their website. I keep waiting for a catch. Can this be real? Has anyone used something like this?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 20th 2005, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
Is anyone using SKYPE to call home to UK (for those that do not know SKYPE it allows you to talk to people free over your computer).

I installed the software this weekend and called my family. It was excellent very clear and better then the normal phone (although a bit strange to hear voices coming out of my computer speakers).

How is it over longer distance? Is there time delay?

Also I was going to get a couple of webcams so I can see my family when I am talking to them. Has anyone used webcam with SKYPE?

(Since it is free, I think this is the best way to keep in contact when I move to Aus in Feb.)
Thanks for all the comments. Pleased no delay.

Note: their is beta release of skpe that has webcam function.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Hi

Can someone help please?

We've been using Skype with my parents back in the UK and it's been ok. Sometimes feedback etc but ok for a conversation.

We're now trying to introduce webcams into the equasion but it's not working ! We've both got MSN but everytime we try and connect up it seems to freeze at my parents end. We're selecting 'start a video conversation' but should it just be 'send my webcam' as we're using skype aswell? And if it is 'send my webcam' do they have to do this aswell?

It would be so much easier if we could do this all with Skype. What does a beta version mean of the new video stuff? has anyone used this?

We're trying to get this working so we can see each other on Christmas Day.

Thanks
Judy
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:52 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Hi

Can someone help please?

We've been using Skype with my parents back in the UK and it's been ok. Sometimes feedback etc but ok for a conversation.

We're now trying to introduce webcams into the equasion but it's not working ! We've both got MSN but everytime we try and connect up it seems to freeze at my parents end. We're selecting 'start a video conversation' but should it just be 'send my webcam' as we're using skype aswell? And if it is 'send my webcam' do they have to do this aswell?

It would be so much easier if we could do this all with Skype. What does a beta version mean of the new video stuff? has anyone used this?

We're trying to get this working so we can see each other on Christmas Day.

Thanks
Judy
Why not just use the video and audio with MSN messenger?
It's is probable that the msn audio conflicts with Skype when trying to get your microphone feed.
If you use 'send my webcam' it will prompt them to accept at their end. If they are signed in to messenger and have a web cam and accept your invite then both ends should see each other.

If Skype are offerring a Beta version, this means it isn't fully tested, i.e. they are still working on the final package but it works in principle.

HTH.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:38 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I'm using this device and its working like a treat.

Originally Posted by Stitch
Yeh! Spotted that on their website. I keep waiting for a catch. Can this be real? Has anyone used something like this?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gedge
Why not just use the video and audio with MSN messenger?
It's is probable that the msn audio conflicts with Skype when trying to get your microphone feed.
If you use 'send my webcam' it will prompt them to accept at their end. If they are signed in to messenger and have a web cam and accept your invite then both ends should see each other.

If Skype are offerring a Beta version, this means it isn't fully tested, i.e. they are still working on the final package but it works in principle.

HTH.
MSN Messenger requires so many ports opened for the audio signal, and these are not always the same ports as MSN used previously. If you are on broadband, this can have real issues with some modem/routers. Newer modem/routers have a way around this (called uPnP), but setting it up properly is still a tad geeky.

Skype on the other hand just uses the same port as your computer uses to access web pages, so broadband modems/routers will not have any trouble in handling it

The MSN video signal is on just one port, and so is easy to sort out.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:22 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Goto vskype.com to download the plugin to use a webcam through Skype. This is what we do and it's very good. I think the plugin is named Festoon but can be downloaded for free from the web address above. It's easy to setup and gives you webcam functionality from within Skype.

For everyone whos got a bluetooth headset with there mobile get yourselves a cheap USB Bluetooth dongle I purchased mine for £11, plug it into your USB ports then you have bluetooth connectivity to your PC. This is all very simple to setup then you can use your bluetooth mobile headset as a speaker and microphone for Skype. It's great this is what I do and it enables me to walk around the whole house hands free whilst talking for free on Skype. Much better and cheaper than a Skype phone.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:55 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought but I had to get mum to reinstall the webcam when she went up from dial up to broadband. Maybe try the same thing both ends. MSN Messenger has a troubleshooting utility that may be worth a try.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 9:18 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooohh! liked the blue tooth one as I have both will have to try that one out.

I have tended to use yahoo as the web cam and in the past have found the logitech usb mic to be the best mic to use with pc speakers. If you have a check around your sound setup you may be able to use echo and noise supression to keep background stuff down and echo from the other end.

Web cam tends to get on my nerves after a while as I keep wondering what funny faces I'm pulling ... :scared: that others can see but is good for keeping in touch with rel's still.

When we had Aussie dial up skype ran in slow motion made you sound simple but now we have broadband it's back to normal... .