British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   calling the uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/calling-uk-913640/)

Tane Jun 6th 2018 12:33 am

calling the uk

Hi all,

Just wanting to get your ideas on the best way to call the uk? A friend recommended phonecards did a google search and came across <<<SNIP>>> looks ok but I called and it's such a pain to enter in the access number, then the pin then the number I want to call hopefully there are other options. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

GarryP Jun 6th 2018 12:50 am

Re: calling the uk

Those 'phonecard' cons are just not worth it, particularly for the UK. For instance I can call a UK mobile for less money than it costs to call a standard Oz number. That's before you look at messaging services which allow voice and video calls for free.

Tane Jun 6th 2018 2:55 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12511199)
Those 'phonecard' cons are just not worth it, particularly for the UK. For instance I can call a UK mobile for less money than it costs to call a standard Oz number. That's before you look at messaging services which allow voice and video calls for free.

Thanks Gary, yes I agree, by messaging services do you mean things like Skype? Are you just using your mobile to call the uk then?

Swerv-o Jun 6th 2018 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Tane (Post 12511193)
Hi all,

Just wanting to get your ideas on the best way to call the uk? A friend recommended phonecards did a google search and came across <<<SNIP>>> looks ok but I called and it's such a pain to enter in the access number, then the pin then the number I want to call hopefully there are other options. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Sign up with Amaysim and get free calls to UK mobile and landline numbers, along with a raft of other destinations. Simple.

S

Tane Jun 6th 2018 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12511227)
Sign up with Amaysim and get free calls to UK mobile and landline numbers, along with a raft of other destinations. Simple.

S

Checked them out, they look like a solid option and you get data as well. Thank!

Amazulu Jun 6th 2018 8:33 am

S

Telstra offering that too on some plans

Amazulu Jun 6th 2018 8:34 am

Hi all,

Skype to international landlines and mobiles - about 1c a minute I think

Phonecards are a thing of the past - a pain to use anyway

Stuck in Auckland Jun 9th 2018 1:32 am

Hi all,

Start using Whatsapp and stop wasting money

Beoz Jun 9th 2018 5:22 am

Whatsapp always.

paulry Jun 10th 2018 3:25 am

S

+1

Amaysim have some great calls and data deals. I use them plus Whatsapp plus Skype (I used to pay Skype 10 quid a month, but they don't get a penny/cent off me anymore because they kept un-supporting their expensive phones).