Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling pregnant ladies Mandurah/Rockingham/Perth

Calling pregnant ladies Mandurah/Rockingham/Perth

Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling pregnant ladies Mandurah/Rockingham/Perth

To any pregnant ladies between Perth SOR and Mandurah, who wouldn't mind helping out a student midwife.....

My daughter Jessica is a student midwife in her second year at uni, and as part of her degree she is required to follow the pregnancies and births of 30 women. That means attending (where possible) antenatal check-ups, ultrasounds, the birth and 6-week check-up. She ends up being a friendly face that the mum and partner get to know throughout the pregnancy and might be the only face they recognise in the delivery room! Her level of involvement can be as much or as little as you like i.e. some mums are happy to have the student in the room just observing, others are happy to let her get more involved hands-on - it's entirely up to the woman.

Also being a Pom, she will understand any cultural differences you may be facing. Apart from her doing her midwifery degree, she is also a qualified St John first aider and cadet leader, and a qualified lifeguard (might come in useful for water births! ) Over the next few weeks, she is working at Rockingham Hospital in the Maternity wards as part of her practical placement experience. Over the past two years she has delivered many babies already as well as seeing c-sections and helping new mums with their bubs. She recently received a commendation from the chief of staff at King Edward hospital for her calm actions helping to deliver twins when everyone else was being evacuated during the recent fire.

If you are less than 32 weeks pregnant and would be willing to have a student involved in your pregnancy/birth experience, please send me a PM so I can put you in touch with her. We have leaflet with more info that I can post if you like. Jessica has a student ID number (Curtin University) if you would like to check things out beforehand, and has Police and Working with Children certificates. She needs experience in all types of pregnancy/birth, so it doesn't matter if this is your first or fifth baby, normal birth or c-section. She has a car and is willing to travel anywhere between Mandurah and Perth SOR hospitals/antenatal clinics. All patient information will be treated with the strictest confidentiality. Not all GPs/obstetricians are willing to have students present, sometimes the woman's partner objects too, so make sure you check this out beforehand.

Last edited by Jacqui; Aug 13th 2010 at 8:30 am.