Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling a mobile phone in Aus

Calling a mobile phone in Aus

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling a mobile phone in Aus

Trying not to sound a thicky here (not very good with mobiles!) I have to ring a mobile number in Oz from the UK - the number begins with 04...
do I:

a) just ring the number
b) add the Oz code
c) add the Oz code and drop the 0
d) any other suggestions?????

Any help appreciated.......

Thanks

Jaqui:scared:
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling a mobile phone in Aus

Originally posted by jscott
Trying not to sound a thicky here (not very good with mobiles!) I have to ring a mobile number in Oz from the UK - the number begins with 04...
do I:

a) just ring the number
b) add the Oz code
c) add the Oz code and drop the 0
d) any other suggestions?????

Any help appreciated.......

Thanks

Jaqui:scared:
From England dial 00 61 4xx xxxxxx

ie take the 0 off the beginning of the mobile number, so that would be option c)
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling a mobile phone in Aus

Originally posted by Nara
From England dial 00 61 4xx xxxxxx

ie take the 0 off the beginning of the mobile number, so that would be option c)
This is correct as long as the mobile you are ringing is an Oz mobile. If it is a UK mobile that somebody has in Oz, just ring the UK mobile number, ie option a)

Sorry to be pedantic...
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

So when you say 00 61 4xxxxx from england im sure you mean all of uk?

If so great to know as i may need to give this info if i need to be contact in oz in an emergency to my mobile.

does anyone know how much it costs to phone a mobile from uk to oz just so i have an idea, i am with vodaphone but they say it depends on how and what the people on other end are calling with.

Any one know any ideas to get cheap calls to mobiles that i can tell the folks back home.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brian.w
So when you say 00 61 4xxxxx from england im sure you mean all of uk?

***** Yes, all of the UK as long as it is an Oz mobile (ie contains an Oz SIM card) - otherwise see above.

If so great to know as i may need to give this info if i need to be contact in oz in an emergency to my mobile.

does anyone know how much it costs to phone a mobile from uk to oz just so i have an idea, i am with vodaphone but they say it depends on how and what the people on other end are calling with.

***** As an example - my wife occasionally uses her Orange UK mobile phone in Oz. A 1 minute call back to a mobile in the UK cost her 77p. Your folks back home might be better off getting a phone card from, say, the UK post office.

Any one know any ideas to get cheap calls to mobiles that i can tell the folks back home.

***** Unfortunately, I can't help on that one. But, if you use a phone card, calls from Oz to UK between non-mobile phones are very cheap (~3p/minute). Perhaps your folks could call you on a mobile and then you call them back on a normal (ie 'fixed-line') phone?

Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cost from the UK is erratic cos it does depend on the service provider here. SMS messages are cheaper!!!

Anywhere in the UK to an Oz mobile is 0061 4xx xxx

If you are ringing someone in Oz who has a UK mobile number, just ring the number as normal.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:36 am
Just Joined

jscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone - have rung and got through!

Jaqui