Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling any Podiatrists

Calling any Podiatrists

Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

johnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to all
Default Calling any Podiatrists

HI

We have submitted a 136 visa application based on my husbands job - podiatrist/podiatric surgeon and would love to hear from any other corn-cutters out there on their thoughts re the profession in Oz and opportunities.
We are aiming for Queensland, probably Gold or Sunshine Coast
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:04 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling any Podiatrists

I know a podiatrist who has his own practice and who is looking for someone to come and work with him - location is Victoria though.

If you'd like details please send me a PM or an email.

Best regards.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hiya!!

Guess what, you are not alone......

I am a podiatrist attempting to get a skilled visa. Can i ask how far you are down the road of migration? Is your OH inprivate practice or NHS?

How has the skills assessment gone for you and what area are you going to?

I am married with 4 kids and intend to go to the Melbourne area, depending on the wife's choice of house etc.Apparently there are a fair amount of jobs out there .

Regards,

Crocodileseamus
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:40 pm
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnpod
HI

We have submitted a 136 visa application based on my husbands job - podiatrist/podiatric surgeon and would love to hear from any other corn-cutters out there on their thoughts re the profession in Oz and opportunities.
We are aiming for Queensland, probably Gold or Sunshine Coast
My OH is a podiatrist here on the Sunshine Coast. We came over on her 136 about 18 months ago - she'd already got a job in the private sector cause we'd been out for an interview about 6 months previously.

Work loads seem OK but the pay isnt what you'd get in the UK - unless you start up your own practice. Not much public sector work up here.

Seems the work is the same as the UK although OH did mention that she was seeing a lot more sports injuries and some of those were in the over 80s!!! Nothing she'd seen before in the UK LOL.

If you want to know anything else just let me know and i'll ask here
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

johnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to all
Red face Re: Calling any Podiatrists

HI JCE

Thanks for the info on you OH. We looeked at the sushine coast but thought there would be more scope on the gold coast. OH is also a surgeon and hoping to get into surgery once we get out there. He has contacted a couple of agencies and also keeping an eye on the pod society webs site for vacancies. Can you ask your OH how long it took for her state resgistration to come through - we have his skills assesment and our visa is at last stage of processing so we need to get a move on with this final stage. Jobs seem to be advertised at between 60 and 80 Au$ would you say this is about right?

Thanks

Ali
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Corocodileseamus

We are well on with our visa application - 136 skilled. We sent of the visa early March, had a reply early April and were issued a case officer and requested to complete our Meds/PCC late May - Xrays and PCC's done, meds next week. John is mainly NHS and is also a surgeon so does some PP's - mainly biomechanics and day surgery but has experience of private work as used to do 1 day a week in a Private Clinic run by a group of GP's We are heading for GoldCoast/Brisbane - again seem to be quite a few jobs, John has registered with an agency and is also keeping an eye out for jobs on the ausi pod soc site. In an earlier thread an agent Alen Collet mentioned a mate in Victoria who is looking for someone to join his practice so it might be worth you getting in touch with him!

I work in med sales so need a job as well but 1st need to settle the kids, our eldest(14) DOES NOT WANT TO GO and is being very vocal about how she hates us and how unfare we are etc etc.

Good luck with the visa, we just need to get our state registration now as every state does it differently and you need to register where you intend to work - what a pain (more cost)

Let me know how things are going for you

Ali
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi Ali,

First of all good luck with the visa etc, and thanks for the heads up on Allan Collet - I'll give him a shout.

We have 4 kids, a 7 yr old with aspergers, twins at 5 and a 6 month old!Its a case of move before the kids can form an opinion!!!!

I have a busy private practice and hope to do the same in Oz but it is difficult to get feedback on pay rates etc. Oh well, amybe I'll just play it as I find it.

In terms of the APodC, how long did it take for the skills assesment and was it all done by post?

Crocodileseamus
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:40 am
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

news from the OH;

She thinks state registration took a couple of weeks to come through as that was the time between arriving and starting work - but make sure you have all the info they want so you can fax it to them as soon as you get here.

As for surgery - its very very new here and there is only one podiatric surgeon in Queensland as most is still done by orthopeadic surgeons. Seems there is a bit of controversy as to who should be doing it.

That salary quoted is about the standard for Qld - salaries up here are lower than NSW and major cities - and that seems to be across all jobs/professions. You need to check if that includes Super and all the other benefits (leave and holiday loading) cause if it does then what you take home will be less.

Originally Posted by johnpod
HI JCE

Thanks for the info on you OH. We looeked at the sushine coast but thought there would be more scope on the gold coast. OH is also a surgeon and hoping to get into surgery once we get out there. He has contacted a couple of agencies and also keeping an eye on the pod society webs site for vacancies. Can you ask your OH how long it took for her state resgistration to come through - we have his skills assesment and our visa is at last stage of processing so we need to get a move on with this final stage. Jobs seem to be advertised at between 60 and 80 Au$ would you say this is about right?

Thanks

Ali
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:42 am
jce
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Hi Ali,

In terms of the APodC, how long did it take for the skills assesment and was it all done by post?

Crocodileseamus
took about 4 weeks and was all done by post - just complete the form and send all the info they want. I seem to recall that they actually wanted my OH's marks on her degree modules rather than just the end mark
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

hi crocodileseamus

Re OH ApodC application all was done by post, cost about Au$600 and took 2-3 months. We had to get all his certificates etc copied and then certified as true copies (used a consultant friend to do this). The certificate we now have is valid for good as far as I know. Just need the regional one now but apparantly this only takes a couple of weeks so may get this done once we get over there.

The other places to look for jobs or practices for sale are the APodC web site or allied health - we have been in touch with the latter and are very helpfull. Can put you in touch with various potential employers adn some jobs come with a car or offer of short term accomodation, they will even offer to help with Visa but this seems to tie you to thejob for up to 2 years.

Good luck with it all, let us know how things are progressing

Ali
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:24 pm
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=jce;4883418]news from the OH;

As for surgery - its very very new here and there is only one podiatric surgeon in Queensland as most is still done by orthopeadic surgeons. Seems there is a bit of controversy as to who should be doing it.

Well I have learnt something new - I didn't realise there was a difference- I thought podiatrists were surgeons aswell. That explains why I didn't have a wedge resection for and IGTN when I went to see a sunny coast podiatrist. I had psyched myself up for the ring block as well!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:20 am
jce
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=allison;4894603]
Originally Posted by jce
news from the OH;

Well I have learnt something new - I didn't realise there was a difference- I thought podiatrists were surgeons aswell. That explains why I didn't have a wedge resection for and IGTN when I went to see a sunny coast podiatrist. I had psyched myself up for the ring block as well!
all IGTN are what is done as normal by podiatrists - surgery refers to bone surgery ie bunions and straightening toes and that sort of thing - apparently.

BTW - which sunny coast podiatrist did you go and see? Just out of curiosity as my OH practices in Buderim
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:26 am
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=jce;4894893]
Originally Posted by allison

all IGTN are what is done as normal by podiatrists - surgery refers to bone surgery ie bunions and straightening toes and that sort of thing - apparently.

BTW - which sunny coast podiatrist did you go and see? Just out of curiosity as my OH practices in Buderim
Kawana podiatrist - on nicklin way - next to kawana waters hotel. I saw a guy called luke. He sorted me out although I had self prescribed some antibiotics aswell. In fact I was shocked at the fee. Thought I would have been charged a couple of hundred dollars but only charged 46.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ali,

Just got off the phone with Alan Collett's office who have been more than helpful.We have now realised that we have to do the STNI 137 visa state nominated which is no great difference, due to not being in practice for 3 of the last 4 years.
Waiting for BSc result, then APodC application, THEN visa application!!

How are you getting on?

Crocodileseamus
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Croc

We have had all our meds and xrays done, they get sent off Friday, PCC has been applied for 40 days is up on 7th July so just playing waitning game now. We are on a 136 MODL visa which at the moment seem to be the ones getting processed the quickest. Couple of possible jobs on the allied health and Oz pod Soc sites so hopefull JOhn will get a job no problem. OUr house is sold STC - solicitors are well on with this, signed contracts yesterday, surveyor comming tomorrow and agents say our buyers are looking to complete easrly to mid August so now need to find a short term rental for here. All being well we are aiming to head over in Dec, find a house to rent, schools for girls and confirm job for John - the local state registration is quite quick so may leave that to do when we get there. We had no prob with points as John has worked pretty much full time for NHS and private for last 20 years.

Hope it all works though as so far has cost us well over £2k and not there yet.

Good luck with yours - keep in touch

Ali