Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all those who live in south west region of w.a

Calling all those who live in south west region of w.a

Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Clare S is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Calling all those who live in south west region of w.a

Am planning 2 emigrate here from n.ireland would love to know about good areas to live. Looking at bunbury or between there and bussleton.

have two young sons, husband landscape gardener, i am a nurse, would communte up 2 20-30 mins to work. After nice friendly community, like the outdoor both husband and i mountain bike and he also road cycles.

Applying for independent visa, just sat IELTS y.day, i know visa are osphoned at present but im sure nurse will still be wanted??

Keen for any advice and help. thanks
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all those who live in south west region of w.a

Nurses are always wanted... even with the health cuts that WA health keep telling us aren't happening....

Commute depends entirely upon where you choose to live in relation to hospital/ work place... Bussleton is nice... but it aint a 20 minute commute to Bunbury lol... check out WA HEalth website for jobs then locate hospital on google and check out local housing...

Dont know about demand for landscape gardiners down that way... perhaps some one else could help you out there?

eds
xxx
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Clare S
Am planning 2 emigrate here from n.ireland would love to know about good areas to live. Looking at bunbury or between there and bussleton.

have two young sons, husband landscape gardener, i am a nurse, would communte up 2 20-30 mins to work. After nice friendly community, like the outdoor both husband and i mountain bike and he also road cycles.

Applying for independent visa, just sat IELTS y.day, i know visa are osphoned at present but im sure nurse will still be wanted??

Keen for any advice and help. thanks
I grew up in Bunbury. It's a great place to raise a family. You could pretty much live anywhere in Bunbury and be within 20 minutes of the hospital/s. (Private and public hospitals are adjoining.)

I have a friend who is into road cycling. There is/was quite an active club. You have the estuary for crabbing, beaches for swimming/fishing/water skiing and you're a short drive from the rest of the South West for forests, camping, more fishing, etc, while Perth is within striking distance for a day trip. We are returning to WA but it has to be Perth for us due to work. The kids would love to be going back to Bunbury. Sport for kids is very accessible, also.

I have to apologise for my post not being very eloquent; a bit hungover.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:55 am
Just Joined

danth is an unknown quantity at this point

The south west is wonderful. Keep in mind that travelling time in Australia is not quite the same as the UK. It is 52 km from Busselton to Bunbury and you can do this in 20-30 minutes on a good day. Here you can travel a greater distance in less time. Bunbury has undergone a major overhaul in the past few years (Busselton has been glammed up for a few years now and I think it is still more expensive) There are several nice new housing estates (not the same as a British housing estate, trust me) and the infrastructure is much more developed. New highway has really helped too. I have always found Bunbury (or Bumbury as we liked to call it as kids) to be a bit friendlier and the locals a little less suspicious of us city folk. Nurses always in high demand so you will have no problems also getting agency work. There is also a bit of a rental glut here at the moment so rent should not be too bad. Could get a decent 3/4 bedroom house for under $400 pw. Try Carey Park or other new suburbs in Bunbury. Good luck, you'll love it.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by danth
The south west is wonderful. Keep in mind that travelling time in Australia is not quite the same as the UK. It is 52 km from Busselton to Bunbury and you can do this in 20-30 minutes on a good day. Here you can travel a greater distance in less time. Bunbury has undergone a major overhaul in the past few years (Busselton has been glammed up for a few years now and I think it is still more expensive) There are several nice new housing estates (not the same as a British housing estate, trust me) and the infrastructure is much more developed. New highway has really helped too. I have always found Bunbury (or Bumbury as we liked to call it as kids) to be a bit friendlier and the locals a little less suspicious of us city folk. Nurses always in high demand so you will have no problems also getting agency work. There is also a bit of a rental glut here at the moment so rent should not be too bad. Could get a decent 3/4 bedroom house for under $400 pw. Try Carey Park or other new suburbs in Bunbury. Good luck, you'll love it.
Carey Park is an old suburb which is made up of mostly ex state housing. It has gone through a bit of a 'gentrifying' recently. Newer suburbs nearer to the hospital include Dalyellup and College Grove. College Grove have some nice houses but not much in the way of amenities. As I said, though, you could live anywhere from Australind to Capel and be within 20-30 minutes of the hospital.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Calling all those who live in south west region of w.a

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Have taken an interest in Capel, i had a telephone job interview for Bunbury regional, so fingers crossed. Although with the visas being suspeneded at the mo by the Aussie gov. not sure how long now to wait for application.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clare S
Thanks everyone for all the comments. Have taken an interest in Capel, i had a telephone job interview for Bunbury regional, so fingers crossed. Although with the visas being suspeneded at the mo by the Aussie gov. not sure how long now to wait for application.

You never considered Mandurah? I live in WA South West (Bunbury and near Busselton). If I chose between the towns in the South West, it definitely would be Mandurah, its so closer to Perth, many from Mandurah work in the city. Theres a train connecting them both. Or you cannot work in Perth on the regional visa?

Last edited by laven; Jun 20th 2010 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by laven
You never considered Mandurah? I live in WA South West (Bunbury and near Busselton). If I chose between the towns in the South West, it definitely would be Mandurah, its so closer to Perth, many from Mandurah work in the city. Theres a train connecting them both. Or you cannot work in Perth on the regional visa? Nurses should be ok, but landscape gardeners?

We rent a detached unit 3 x 2 in South Bunbury and pay 400 aud per week. Australind and other further suburbs shall be cheaper.

Bunbury is alright I guess. Would be the second choice. But the place itself a little bit depressing, there is no much to do here. One movie theater, few pubs and lots of restaurants though, two biggish shopping centers. There are very pretty spots like Ocean Drive and Waterfront areas, and this is pretty much it. Depends on your lifestyle. I look after a young baby and dont have a busy life so Bunbury works just fine for me, wouldnt be as good for people with preference for a little busier lifestyle. 2-2,5 hour drive to Perth.

Busselton is around 30-40 mins to Bunbury, its a smaller place, more touristy place. Defintely would go to Bunbury over Busso.
I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I'd choose Bunbury over Mandurah any day.

Oh, and it's only 90 mins to Perth now.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by floss in dubai
I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I'd choose Bunbury over Mandurah any day.

90 mins?:-)

p.s. I changed my mind about posting the original post, probably was not very fair calling Bnbry a depressing place. Its not really.. just smallish place.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by laven
90 mins?:-)

p.s. I changed my mind about posting the original post, probably was not very fair calling Bnbry a depressing place. Its not really.. just smallish place.
Yes, depending on where in Perth you want to go. Obviously, it's going to be quicker to get to Garden City than Alexander Heights.

They've built a new road, didn't you know.

Also, if the OP is interested in Capel, they obviously aren't into anything too 'busy!'

Last edited by floss in dubai; Jun 20th 2010 at 5:01 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Calling all those who live in south west region of w.a

Yeah dont want anything too built up, my nearest big town her has about 30,000 people n it and we live about 6 mile from it. which i find perfect. No interest in living in Perth, way too too big for me.!!

Would be great if young free and single but when u married with 2 kiddies want it more family friendly!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss in dubai

Me too.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

So at the moment have a pending job offer in Bunbury Regional hospital. Any suggestions on a nice suburb to place to move there for a young family???, would commute up to 20 mins away from hospital.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:21 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clare, can't offer you any advice on WA but thought I'd say a big 'waddaboutyeeee' from here in Sunny QLD, we moved here from just outside Banbridge in February of this year, best move we ever made! All the best with everything!

Jen xo
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hi Clare, can't offer you any advice on WA but thought I'd say a big 'waddaboutyeeee' from here in Sunny QLD, we moved here from just outside Banbridge in February of this year, best move we ever made! All the best with everything!

Jen xo
Hi Jen,

well done 4 u!! im waiting on the senior migration officer from w.a london office to call me 2 moro about which visa to apply for. cant go ENS as not prepard to work full time at the mo with a 7 1/2 mth old and 3 yr old, so either GSM or reginal sponser, whatever one quickest!!

I have family in beenleigh, QLD, but decided not to go there as south west of w.a. much more tolerable climate.

Am registered nurse with job in pipeline, seeing solicitor this week to get skills assessment signed and then i can start that applicaiton.

Would like to out there in 1 yr time at least.

We live in coalsiland, im originally from maghera in derry. i work at the mo in craigavon a&e so not miles away from banbridge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.