Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all 'skilled migrants'

Calling all 'skilled migrants'

Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough
Default Calling all 'skilled migrants'

Hi all - me again with another set of questions!!
We r entering oz as skilled sponsored migrants due to my boyf, gary, being a fully qualified mechanic. Does anyone know if 1) he will be able to work straight away on arrival, 2) if he will have to sit any sort of exams when he arrives and 3) if you HAVE to work in this industry if this is how you have entered the country.
Thanks all
Jo
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:39 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Calling all 'skilled migrants'

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
We r entering oz as skilled sponsored migrants due to my boyf, gary, being a fully qualified mechanic. Does anyone know if 1) he will be able to work straight away on arrival, 2) if he will have to sit any sort of exams when he arrives and 3) if you HAVE to work in this industry if this is how you have entered the country.
Thanks all
Jo
Hi Jo

1) yes he can work straight away, although see my answer to question 2.
2) I think he will have to be certified in his trade when he arrives before he can work as a mechanic. Other mechanics will be able to let you know for certain.
3) he can work (as can you) in whatever occupation he desires when he is in Australia, although he may find it easiest to get work as a mechanic.

Good luck

Mel
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all
Jo
Hi Mel

Thanks for the advise. Where r u going?

J
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:51 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Adelaide, but we will be in the Melbourne area for the first month to be near our dog who will be quarantined there. We leave on September 29th.

what about you? Where and when are you going?
Old Aug 7th 2003, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mika24me
Adelaide, but we will be in the Melbourne area for the first month to be near our dog who will be quarantined there. We leave on September 29th.

what about you? Where and when are you going?
We are off to Perth on 9th December and our cats will follow once we have found somewhere to rent! We r staying with family in the first instance and having a bit of a holiday before we get back to reality. Who r u using for ur dog? I think we are going to go for airpets altho' it is costing us a small fortune as we have 3 cats!! But u know how attached you get to them.... Would love to get a dog when we get there but obviously depends on work and garden space!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:35 pm
Hussy

We are off to Perth on 9th December and our cats will follow once we have found somewhere to rent! We r staying with family in the first instance and having a bit of a holiday before we get back to reality. Who r u using for ur dog? I think we are going to go for airpets altho' it is costing us a small fortune as we have 3 cats!! But u know how attached you get to them.... Would love to get a dog when we get there but obviously depends on work and garden space!
We are using Pet Travel services as they fly from Scotland, so it's handy for us. I know what you mean about it costing a fortune though!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

We have just applied to go to Oz and have 2 cats.

could you give me a "ball park" figure for migrating a cat inc. quarantine etc.?

It sounds crual I know but we've already told the kids that the cats aren't going! just wanted to make sure it's too expensive!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Default CATS

Hi Cadman

We have been quoted £500 each for the cats and then the approximate costs of quarantine the other end for a month in Perth is around the £500 mark again (not each! - altogether). So for our 3 we will be looking at around £2k!! Mad i know but i cant bear to leave them! Unless of course there are any generous souls out there wanting to adopt 3 cats! Quarantine varies from place to place however. I think in some parts of oz, you dont even need to have them in quarantine the other end - you just collect them so if you are not going to perth the rules may be different but i guess these figures have probably already put you off anyhow!!
let me know if u need any more info
Jo
Old Aug 7th 2003, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all
Jo
Hi Jo

My hubby is a car mechanic and, from what we gathered on our trip to Oz in April, will have no trouble in getting a job - they seem to be in short supply there and some garages have been waiting months to fill vacancies. One main dealership we visited told him to come in as soon as we arrive! I am not aware of any special licences etc. needed to work as a mechanic.

We are also taking our two cats - and have been quoted about the same as you - around the 1500 mark for both of them. Most of (in fact all of) our friends think we're mad to pay this - but how could we leave them?!! (rather leave the kids! - horrible I know but the summer holidays are taking their toll!)

Hope it goes well for you!

Dawn