Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all SCUBA divers...

Calling all SCUBA divers...

Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:09 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all SCUBA divers...

Originally Posted by northerner
Hmm. Is that that Quicksilver monstrocity? Didn't know excactly where that was except outer reef somewhere...

Most of our diving will be Sydney/central coast but would be nice to go on an outer reef liveaboard every now and then. Oh, and Ningaloo. Er, you can get to Fiji and the Cook Islands fairly easily too can't you?.... I need a bigger wage packet....

Graham
yep thats the one about 200 / 250 people per day are there mostley snorkelling about 10 diving ( when we went )

give me the lonely mushroom anyday ( sharm )
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:18 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Is that that Quicksilver monstrocity? Didn't know excactly where that was except outer reef somewhere...

Most of our diving will be Sydney/central coast but would be nice to go on an outer reef liveaboard every now and then. Oh, and Ningaloo. Er, you can get to Fiji and the Cook Islands fairly easily too can't you?.... I need a bigger wage packet....

Graham
Having dived both Ningaloo (incl snorkelling with whalesharks) and Taveuni (Fiji) both I recommend. On my to-do-list are: around Sydney (my home town, but off limits even though dive gear is here, water nearby, but I'm up the duff ), liveaboard GBR (seems day trips are over dived especially with novice divers who may not have perfected their boyancy skills), Coral sea (only can do by liveaboard), and Poor Knight NZ. I'm sure as I speak to local divers, more and more locations will appear on that list.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:42 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
Having dived both Ningaloo (incl snorkelling with whalesharks) and Taveuni (Fiji) both I recommend. On my to-do-list are: around Sydney (my home town, but off limits even though dive gear is here, water nearby, but I'm up the duff ), liveaboard GBR (seems day trips are over dived especially with novice divers who may not have perfected their boyancy skills), Coral sea (only can do by liveaboard), and Poor Knight NZ. I'm sure as I speak to local divers, more and more locations will appear on that list.
Up the duff? Will it be a water birth? (Congrats by the way...)

From what I've heard we probably wouldn't bother too much with the 'inner' reef - like you say, full of backpackers doing try dives etc. We aren't particularly experienced divers but I am happy that we've both got buoyancy sussed - particularly noticeable on our last trip to Thailand when me and the missus were quite happy and relaxed about everything - almost second nature (almost!) and others who were more experienced than us were flailing around, ignoring instructions, a law unto themselves almost.

Anyway, Coral Sea liveaboard, Ningaloo, Fiji (been but never dived) and lots around Sydney are now on our list...

Graham
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Will it be a water birth?
that was the plan for the 1st one (she is the one in the avatar) but she came out to quickly and they did not want to move me to the water pool room. So hopefully with the 2nd (and final) one.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:27 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have to echo steve'o in that I thought the Red Sea was a bit better then the GBR, however, saying that the GBR caters for the majority of numpties and they keep it plain and simple. I think one of the reasons it seems 'tired' is that it's quite restricted in it's dive sites. Although are loads to share around, they seem to keep everyone in the same places, which I suppose long term is sensible as when you have lots of people with crap bouyancy control they are going to kick 4q out of it. At least this way it confines the damage to one area.

We dive mainly off Brissie and teh Curtin artificial is ok if you like that sort of thing (you can get a good drift through it on the tide) and Finders is good. Seen loads of life in both places and still exploring. I do find PADI to be a bit restrictive in their practices, but "when in Rome" as they say. Byron Bay is (hopefully) our next trip away while my folks are here to look after the boy, then the Brisbane I think. I still fancy a long weekend in Townsville doing the Yongala as well. Our dive club in the UK that we were members of is lanning a trip to Truk in the next year or so and it looks like we're going to be a stop-off for a week on the way and we'll go and dive it with them. Might get there sooner as teh shop we dive through here is talking about it as well. Time to go all Darth Vader and hit the techie stuff if we're going there - bring out the stage deco's and the mixed gasses LOL
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:09 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Hi, I have to echo steve'o in that I thought the Red Sea was a bit better then the GBR, however, saying that the GBR caters for the majority of numpties and they keep it plain and simple. I think one of the reasons it seems 'tired' is that it's quite restricted in it's dive sites. Although are loads to share around, they seem to keep everyone in the same places, which I suppose long term is sensible as when you have lots of people with crap bouyancy control they are going to kick 4q out of it. At least this way it confines the damage to one area.

We dive mainly off Brissie and teh Curtin artificial is ok if you like that sort of thing (you can get a good drift through it on the tide) and Finders is good. Seen loads of life in both places and still exploring. I do find PADI to be a bit restrictive in their practices, but "when in Rome" as they say. Byron Bay is (hopefully) our next trip away while my folks are here to look after the boy, then the Brisbane I think. I still fancy a long weekend in Townsville doing the Yongala as well. Our dive club in the UK that we were members of is lanning a trip to Truk in the next year or so and it looks like we're going to be a stop-off for a week on the way and we'll go and dive it with them. Might get there sooner as teh shop we dive through here is talking about it as well. Time to go all Darth Vader and hit the techie stuff if we're going there - bring out the stage deco's and the mixed gasses LOL
Hi mate, is this after getting the BMWs LOL.

How you doing, i bet the Brisbane has got a bit of life on it now, when i spoke 2 you last i was on my reccie and dived the HMAS Brisbane, and it was just covered in barnacles with no life near it. Ive dived sharm this year and may go back soon as a pal wants to go diving for first time.

I went to the outer reef withg a company called nimrod and the boat is an explorer with sonar on and all sorts, twin hulled and the staff are magic, it operates out of Cairns and i got picked up from hostel door,a 6 seater flight from Cairns to cooktown, and back again, 4 day liveaboard all inclusive(food excellent) and dived some fantastic spots without a boat in sight all 4 days. We were going to do cod hole etc, but there was a marine biologist on board too and he and the captain picked the spots for thier beauty and marine life. WOW. What a great trip and i got it last minute so it was halfprice of about 220 quid.

We are off to Sydney now instead of mooloolabah(for now) so i will look in on the club mentioned earlier. Good luck with getting your bikes.

al and clare

Last edited by alkristensen; Apr 28th 2006 at 11:13 am.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:36 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi mate, is this after getting the BMWs LOL.

How you doing, i bet the Brisbane has got a bit of life on it now, when i spoke 2 you last i was on my reccie and dived the HMAS Brisbane, and it was just covered in barnacles with no life near it. Ive dived sharm this year and may go back soon as a pal wants to go diving for first time.

I went to the outer reef withg a company called nimrod and the boat is an explorer with sonar on and all sorts, twin hulled and the staff are magic, it operates out of Cairns and i got picked up from hostel door,a 6 seater flight from Cairns to cooktown, and back again, 4 day liveaboard all inclusive(food excellent) and dived some fantastic spots without a boat in sight all 4 days. We were going to do cod hole etc, but there was a marine biologist on board too and he and the captain picked the spots for thier beauty and marine life. WOW. What a great trip and i got it last minute so it was halfprice of about 220 quid.

We are off to Sydney now instead of mooloolabah(for now) so i will look in on the club mentioned earlier. Good luck with getting your bikes.

al and clare
hey up another manc

hi there
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:57 am

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
hey up another manc

hi there
We're slowly taking over the world....

Graham
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:09 pm

WOW. What a great trip and i got it last minute so it was halfprice of about 220 quid.
Now that IS a good deal!
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

i`ve dived agincourt on the outer reef

didnt think much of it to be true
theres a huge pontoon out there and it gets hammered
I dived Agincourt, and as you say it takes a pounding. I have taken divers out in the Red Sea and would make sure that they did not make any contact with the coral.

On the GBR divers/snorklers were walking across the coral!!!
Old Apr 28th 2006, 1:17 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by colinmorgan
I dived Agincourt, and as you say it takes a pounding. I have taken divers out in the Red Sea and would make sure that they did not make any contact with the coral.

On the GBR divers/snorklers were walking across the coral!!!
some good dive related pics etc

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=red+sea
Attached Images      
Old Apr 29th 2006, 3:47 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

hey up another manc

hi there

Alright mate,

Hope to see you at laceys leaving do in may or jun,

Nearly got there last time.

Or are you on the dark side now!

al
Old Apr 29th 2006, 4:19 pm
Worongary

Alright mate,

Hope to see you at laceys leaving do in may or jun,

Nearly got there last time.

Or are you on the dark side now!

al
they`ll have to be quick lace leaves next week mate

and no `im still here in sunny manc

spent the day getting wet ( jetwashed the drive )
its just not the same