Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS

Calling all RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of
Unhappy Calling all RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS

Please help.
I have been offered a Senior Consultant post with a company in Perth, on a 457 visa. The contract came through today & there seems to be a considerable reduction in salary than as first discussed.

The company operates within the retained search & selection market across several professional sectors, my expertise consultant engineering.

If there is anyone out there doing roughly the same, could you give me an idea what is a reasonable salary.

They have stated salary includes 9% superannuation & LAFHA but not medical cover.
Has anyone else found this as I expected them to provide medical cover

Thanks for any replies in advance
Ivan
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Calling all RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Please help.
I have been offered a Senior Consultant post with a company in Perth, on a 457 visa. The contract came through today & there seems to be a considerable reduction in salary than as first discussed.

The company operates within the retained search & selection market across several professional sectors, my expertise consultant engineering.

If there is anyone out there doing roughly the same, could you give me an idea what is a reasonable salary.

They have stated salary includes 9% superannuation & LAFHA but not medical cover.

Ivan
Am not in your field but there seems to be a minimum wage (award) for all jobs at www.wagenet.com.au
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:11 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Please help.

Ivan
If you can't make a fortune as a recruitment consultant in Perth within the engineering sector then you are probably in the wrong job!

Over here the companies suck up to the recruitment agencies not the other way around there is such a shortage of skilled labour.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/default.aspx
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get it right ...ie.exactly what they are offering.

Once you are there on a 457 visa you are stuck...leave your job then you have to leave the country.

Why not go for PR in the first place?

That way if the job does not work out you can look for another.

this company does not seem to have got off to a good start does it? Who knows what strokes they may try and pull once you are there.

G
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Medical cover should be paid by the employers but, as others have found, not all companies play by the rules.

G
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

type something like this into Google search:
+"recruitment consultant" +engineering +perth

Often when jobs are advertised they don't put the salary down - so you have to do lots of searching to find answers.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Make sure you get it right ...ie.exactly what they are offering.

Once you are there on a 457 visa you are stuck...leave your job then you have to leave the country.

Why not go for PR in the first place?

That way if the job does not work out you can look for another.

this company does not seem to have got off to a good start does it? Who knows what strokes they may try and pull once you are there.

G
Hello Daaaavvveee!

Basically this is the offer.

75k inclusive of super, LAFHA is included in this as well, the contract states that the company will cover the cost of rental during my employment.

So once we advise the immigration we want to stay permanently I loose that amount of money from my salary and have to cover the rent.

Properties we have looked at in the area are in the region of $300pw, so the actual salary before tax works out to be $49k pa, then medical deducted from there, ( wife has high blood pressure, ) quotes in the region of $500+ per month for the 3 of us, so $43kpa before tax is pants, basically financially unviable. This doesn't include the school fees.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:02 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Daaaavvveee!

Basically this is the offer.

75k inclusive of super, LAFHA is included in this as well, the contract states that the company will cover the cost of rental during my employment.

So once we advise the immigration we want to stay permanently I loose that amount of money from my salary and have to cover the rent.

Properties we have looked at in the area are in the region of $300pw, so the actual salary before tax works out to be $49k pa, then medical deducted from there, ( wife has high blood pressure, ) quotes in the region of $500+ per month for the 3 of us, so $43kpa before tax is pants, basically financially unviable. This doesn't include the school fees.
If the offered salary is lower than quoted, then I would first of all address this with the employer. Also tell the company that the must pay for medical care. Legally they have to according to law, but they might to try to use a loophole, where certain immigrants are covered by reciprocal agreements from their home nations.

$500+ for health care seems fairly high, $300 is more a normal figure (don't know if the blood pressure makes that much difference)

Are you planning on sending the kids to private school ?

hope this helps a little.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Now my blood is boiling, why did I read this post?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dshole
Now my blood is boiling, why did I read this post?
Why???

Have you had similar experiences.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by furkew
If the offered salary is lower than quoted, then I would first of all address this with the employer. Also tell the company that the must pay for medical care. Legally they have to according to law, but they might to try to use a loophole, where certain immigrants are covered by reciprocal agreements from their home nations.

$500+ for health care seems fairly high, $300 is more a normal figure (don't know if the blood pressure makes that much difference)

Are you planning on sending the kids to private school ?

hope this helps a little.
Thanks for this,

As for the school fees we have been informed that on a 457 we have to pay school fees, even for public ones.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:40 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this,

As for the school fees we have been informed that on a 457 we have to pay school fees, even for public ones.
depends where you are headed. I am on my way to Victoria, and there its free.

Perth i'm not quite sure about, but in general free.

The medicare situation is pretty complex, I spent over a week trying to find out what can and can't and it's still very vague. If you post on the immigration forum about schools in Perth on a 457, i'm sure there's somebody with experience in the matter.

Good luck.

Paul