Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling ALL Plumbers/Gasfitters

Calling ALL Plumbers/Gasfitters

Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Dez007 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Calling ALL Plumbers/Gasfitters

HELP!!! Please all plumbers that have come over to Oz, We arrived 5 weeks ago to Sydney and I am a plumber/gasfitter. I am going around in circles trying to get my license, we have been to Fair Trading, who passed us onto TAFE, who have just said yeah, you have got three years of training to do, WOW I have been doing it for over 20 years, how can this be right. All the hassle I went through to get my TRA and now this, please please is there anyone out there who can give me any information. I love it out here but I need to work to stay.
Thanks Dez
Old Feb 27th 2006, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling ALL Plumbers/Gasfitters

Originally Posted by Dez007
HELP!!! Please all plumbers that have come over to Oz, We arrived 5 weeks ago to Sydney and I am a plumber/gasfitter. I am going around in circles trying to get my license, we have been to Fair Trading, who passed us onto TAFE, who have just said yeah, you have got three years of training to do, WOW I have been doing it for over 20 years, how can this be right. All the hassle I went through to get my TRA and now this, please please is there anyone out there who can give me any information. I love it out here but I need to work to stay.
Thanks Dez
Sorry to hear that you are having these problems but you are not alone, try contacting Frazer although he is in Victoria or else I am sure that someone in NSW will be able to give you more info. It seems to be one of the nightmare trades that causes no end of grief when immigrants arrive, unfortunately your TRA seems to be worthless when you get here and you do seem to have a lot of training left to do here regardless of previous experience. They really ought to be more upfront with prospective migrants and let them know exactly what they will be up against when they get here.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Feb 27th 2006, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Your plea caught my eye-I am not a plumber(would'nt make a plumbers elbow)
but--if you have a Aussie entry permit, you can come for a holiday here-NZ.This would allow you to suss out the setup over here
They are screaming out for plumbers/gasfitters in NZ-my mate who arrived with his City and Guilds Ticket slotted straight into the system. Then you shaft them with the same length of copper pipe--you could return to Aussie with a few years working experience and no hassles. Or if this place appeals stay, and it should, cos we ain't got any bloody Aussies!

A bit devious but that's how you gotta be with some of the "jobsworths".

Good Luck either way.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:17 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dez
http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/mines/petr..._licences.html
sorry got no info for nsw this link is for queensland but might give you some general pointers you could try to ring the tra they might point you in the right direction
found the address here http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...0/att_anzr.pdf
Old Feb 27th 2006, 3:13 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

[QUOTE=Dez007]HELP!!! Please all plumbers that have come over to Oz, We arrived 5 weeks ago to Sydney and I am a plumber/gasfitter. /QUOTE]

Hi Des, Have been here two years was going to work but pensions worked out so no need.Did look at getting a licence and would seem you can apply and get one from Dept of Fair Trading to work under supervision whatever that means and then apply for full licence.I did find the details in the local library it took some research but I have lost it, if you still want details I can go and find them for you send me private message.There is a site called master plumbers and Oz plumbers on there may be able to help.The states seem to have different requirements.Keep asking the questions, I'm sure they make it difficult on purpose, but Johnny Howard keeps saying 'we need more skilled people' and who could be more skilled than a trained PLUMBER. Good Luck
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Thanks Dez
I'm a plumber/gasfitter living in Tas. I can't say how things work in NSW but it seems that I can get a provisional plumbers licence which will allow me to work for a plumbing company (but not alone) if I give evidence that I am indeed a plumber(apprenticeship certificates,etc.). I have also been told by the registration board that I can get full gasfitter registration if I provide evidence of previous CORGI registration. I am waiting for the board to follow up on the evidence I have provided and will hopefully be given registration after CORGI get back in touch with them.

I don't know about other states but in Tassie there are 2 types of gasfitter licence, type A and type B. Type A covers all AGA certified appliances and type B is 'retricted' and covers appliances which haven't been approved by the AGA.

I was also told by an officer who works within the 'Gas Safety & Standards' that the only way that a British gasfitter can get an Australian licence is via Victoria because they are the only registration board who have 'worked with CORGI' to ensure that information and competenices are recognised in Australia.Conflicting responses from people who you think would know exactly what is the go over here!! I will find out the contact details for the Victoria plumbers commission...it think thats what it is called and post them to you tomorrow.

Cneers, Peter
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

First of all you need to convert your Uk skills to Oz skills. This is done via the TRA http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...itiatives/TRA/ - (domestic skills assessment link), this is the same process that you had to do for the first part of your visa application. Ring them and they will send you a form.

They will then tell you if you need to go to TAFE to gain more Oz knowledge etc.

Hope that helps

Wendy
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi To and From,

I recently qualified as a plasterer in the UK and have been doing domestic jobs on the side. Whats the score for plasterers in NZ? I heard that its bloody hard to get into any trade in OZ So even as I'm going over as an Engineer I fancy a career change. So could you let us know I'd appreciate it. Could you point me in the direction of any NZ trade organisations which I could contact pls? Finally, are they as unionised in NZ as they are in OZ??

Many thanks

Chris
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Thanks Dez
Hi Dez
I'm a plumber who was based in Perth (hopefully to soon return!) I had to basically attend a one day assessment course which included theory and practical which gave me a tradesmans licence. I can work under 'the general guidance of the holder of a plumbing contractors licence'. Essentially I can work for a 'firm' but not for myself. I guess there must be something similar for you in NSW although typically Australian States all completely differ from one another making everything harder. Must have something to do with Tafe as that's where I was assessed. As for gasfitting I don't know although I know in the West I can attend 2 x 2 week courses to basically become qualified (I'm not Corgi reg in the UK and from what I've heard it doesn't mean much in OZ - they are 20 years behind anyway!!)
Try this link for info if no-one has suggested before!
http//www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/building/builderstradespeople/formsandfees.html
Good luck anyway - Cheers,
Dan
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Dez007 will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Calling ALL Plumbers/Gasfitters

Hi everyone
Thank you all for your replies, It is crazy that there is no system in place for all us qualified/experienced trades people, I am not surprised that plumbers are on the shortage list, as no matter how many come out, most of them give up and do something else.
I will carry on regardless and see how I get on.
Cheers Dez
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:41 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dez, I'm a plumber but not gas. I arrived here in August and applied to the plumbing commision who told me I would have to do some practical exams before getting registered and then some written ones to get my licence.

I then sent of early October to do my practical ones at the same time I asked them about having a day in college, they were quite short wityh me and told me to buy this book plumbing set 3500 which cost over $150 and were unhelpful.

I'm still waiting for news of when my practical test will be which'll probably be a waste of time because I don't do gas and there doesn't seem to be any jobs that I can apply for.

I've now been here 6 months and I'm doing the odd day unloading containers.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi To and From,

I recently qualified as a plasterer in the UK and have been doing domestic jobs on the side. Whats the score for plasterers in NZ? I heard that its bloody hard to get into any trade in OZ So even as I'm going over as an Engineer I fancy a career change. So could you let us know I'd appreciate it. Could you point me in the direction of any NZ trade organisations which I could contact pls? Finally, are they as unionised in NZ as they are in OZ??

Many thanks

Chris
I will be speaking with a guy who is a site manager -he is from the Midlands and hopefully he will be able to answer questions better than me-I've been retired for a number of years now-it was certainly a whole lot easier when I came over.Don't think our lot are as Unionised as the Aussie's are.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 11:26 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice
Talking Re: Calling ALL Plumbers/Gasfitters

Originally Posted by WEBBS
I'm a plumber/gasfitter living in Tas. I can't say how things work in NSW but it seems that I can get a provisional plumbers licence which will allow me to work for a plumbing company (but not alone) if I give evidence that I am indeed a plumber(apprenticeship certificates,etc.). I have also been told by the registration board that I can get full gasfitter registration if I provide evidence of previous CORGI registration. I am waiting for the board to follow up on the evidence I have provided and will hopefully be given registration after CORGI get back in touch with them.

I don't know about other states but in Tassie there are 2 types of gasfitter licence, type A and type B. Type A covers all AGA certified appliances and type B is 'retricted' and covers appliances which haven't been approved by the AGA.

I was also told by an officer who works within the 'Gas Safety & Standards' that the only way that a British gasfitter can get an Australian licence is via Victoria because they are the only registration board who have 'worked with CORGI' to ensure that information and competenices are recognised in Australia.Conflicting responses from people who you think would know exactly what is the go over here!! I will find out the contact details for the Victoria plumbers commission...it think thats what it is called and post them to you tomorrow.

Cneers, Peter
Hi webbs
barry here from micheleandbarry,just looking for a bit of advice really,im in the process of retraining as a plumber ( city and guilds nvq2 etc) and am also in the first stages of looking to emmigrate to tassie (like the look of it)
ive seen a lot of posts on here from plumbers/gas fitters saying how hard it is to get work/qualified in oz and yet youve managed to do ok, is that because of the different state laws or what ?could you let me know what courses or licenses i might need ,also is there anything i could do while im still over here
also what are the wages compared to uk for plumbers ? have my lgv1 and experience of different work just in case ,
by the way i noticed your from Gorebridge im originally from Musselburgh and have family up there, i know its a long shot but i wonder if you know the gunns in gorebridge,
sorry for bending your ear but any help would be appreiciated hope your doing well and enjoying the ride
best wishes
barry
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fraser
Hello Dez, I'm a plumber but not gas. I arrived here in August and applied to the plumbing commision who told me I would have to do some practical exams before getting registered and then some written ones to get my licence.

I then sent of early October to do my practical ones at the same time I asked them about having a day in college, they were quite short wityh me and told me to buy this book plumbing set 3500 which cost over $150 and were unhelpful.

I'm still waiting for news of when my practical test will be which'll probably be a waste of time because I don't do gas and there doesn't seem to be any jobs that I can apply for.

I've now been here 6 months and I'm doing the odd day unloading containers.
Hi Fraser
This will probably sound stupid but if you have no luck in Qld maybe you could look into getting a licence from another state? I found it reasonably simple to get my licence in Perth (obvious form filling and waiting aside).Maybe a long shot but it may be simpler to convert a state licence rather than foreign qualifications. I had read that the government (ha ha) are trying to simplify the rules for plumbers to make it easier for trades recognition state to state. How true or even whether this will work remains to be seen I guess. Just a thought anyway - good luck with whatever you decide mate I know the frustration!
Dan
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

sinead is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WEBBS

Cneers, Peter
Hi, is there any chance you could pm me with these details also - as my husband is a corgi registered gas engineer and we are heading out to Brisbane in May, we'd be very grateful!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.