Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all plumbers/gas fitters working in australia

calling all plumbers/gas fitters working in australia

Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

jon/gas/fitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default calling all plumbers/gas fitters working in australia

im a qualified plumber and gas fitter in the uk looking to move down under, can anyone tell me about these licenses??? i hear its a bit of a nightmare! is there anything i can do in the uk towards getting these licences? or is it all done in oz? any information would be appreciated.

Last edited by jon/gas/fitter; Jun 6th 2006 at 7:13 pm. Reason: change title
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calling all plumbers/gas fitters working in australia

Originally Posted by jon/gas/fitter
im a qualified plumber and gas fitter in the uk looking to move down under, can anyone tell me about these licenses??? i hear its a bit of a nightmare! is there anything i can do in the uk towards getting these licences? or is it all done in oz? any information would be appreciated.

This should explain it a little bit.

Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be able to elaborate on it for you.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: calling all plumbers/gas fitters working in australia

Originally Posted by WendyC
Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be able to elaborate on it for you.
Like Fraser!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Like Fraser!!!!
Nah, he's not a plumber
Old Jun 10th 2006, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Loads of UK plumbers and gasfitters are here already, so it isn't impossible to get the licenses.
But, it's unlikely you will be welcomed with a "thank god you're here", I'd recommend you bring at least enough money to live on for 6 months whilst finding your feet and pick an area which has a need for gasfitters (the easy ticket to get with uk qualifications).
Old Jun 13th 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Licences ARE a nightmare, UK qualifications are needed to get "Provisional" Licence to enable you to work. then Only under supervision with a firm willing to give you a job. It isnt impossible BUT it is no Picnic either.
It is Different you will also need a drainers licence as everything is seperate
Example... we sent gas licence info and waited about 4 months for reply, then were told we can exchange details due to gas Quals and 10+ years Corgi.
not much call for gas in Queensland
Old Jun 13th 2006, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

I've got my licences but unfortunetly it doesn't guarantee a fair wage.
Even though I'm working I applied for another job closer to home as a licenced plumber. I was offered the job yesterday at the hourly rate of $16 :scared: ! I have asked for the offer in writing as it was advertised at AWA rates and I intend to address this matter with the authorities (probably nobody will be interested though).
Funny thing is though, when I first came out here I did a few days as a landscaping labourer and got paid $20/hr
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
I've got my licences but unfortunetly it doesn't guarantee a fair wage.
Even though I'm working I applied for another job closer to home as a licenced plumber. I was offered the job yesterday at the hourly rate of $16 :scared: ! I have asked for the offer in writing as it was advertised at AWA rates and I intend to address this matter with the authorities (probably nobody will be interested though).
Funny thing is though, when I first came out here I did a few days as a landscaping labourer and got paid $20/hr
just a query i have read somewhere that a jib card helps in a big way to get you a licence is this true.cheers crozz :
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crozz
just a query i have read somewhere that a jib card helps in a big way to get you a licence is this true.cheers crozz :
Haven't heared that one. Might be confusing it with the SNIPFE (or wotever it is) the Northern Ireland and Scottie equivalent, which carries weight here.
I'd recommend collecting as many bits of paper and certs as you can while you have the chance, very handy when verifying work experience, especially drainage. If you've got C&G plumbing that reduces the Qld drainage course by months and if you can show evidence of septic tank experience its only a correspondence module for the drainers licence (which you'll need to be a self employed plumber in Qld) Unfortunetly TAFE haven't wrote the module yet so the full course is the only option available at the moment. Hope this isn't too confusing ~ I can barely follow it ~ just to add to this mess, the rules are different between states but each state recognises the others qualification by mutual agreement. Bet you're glad you asked Crozz
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Haven't heared that one. Might be confusing it with the SNIPFE (or wotever it is) the Northern Ireland and Scottie equivalent, which carries weight here.
I'd recommend collecting as many bits of paper and certs as you can while you have the chance, very handy when verifying work experience, especially drainage. If you've got C&G plumbing that reduces the Qld drainage course by months and if you can show evidence of septic tank experience its only a correspondence module for the drainers licence (which you'll need to be a self employed plumber in Qld) Unfortunetly TAFE haven't wrote the module yet so the full course is the only option available at the moment. Hope this isn't too confusing ~ I can barely follow it ~ just to add to this mess, the rules are different between states but each state recognises the others qualification by mutual agreement. Bet you're glad you asked Crozz
thanks for the info mate did you have to do an odd day at college while you were working or did you do the full course in one go to get your licence and if so what does the course entail cheers crozz.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the info mate did you have to do an odd day at college while you were working or did you do the full course in one go to get your licence and if so what does the course entail cheers crozz.
I came in through the back door (via NZ) so didn't have so many problems.
The system is not structured to to assist migrants gain plumbing qualification recognition and can be quite time consuming. The gas licence however, is relatively straight forward.
From my experience, having the licences is only a minor detail. It's much more important to have contacts who can help with providing references, work experience and generally help you assimilate.
Without contacts it's amost impossible, but if you haven't got the licence as well it might be wise to read the "returning home in 6 months" type posts in preparation.
Most plumbers spend a vast amount of time at work (usually claiming to hate every minute ) and to be prevented from performing their chosen profession is quite a major turnaround. After years of being sought after and in demand it's an unfamiliar feeling to just be another foreign plumber looking for a job.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

I came in through the back door (via NZ) so didn't have so many problems.
The system is not structured to to assist migrants gain plumbing qualification recognition and can be quite time consuming. The gas licence however, is relatively straight forward.
From my experience, having the licences is only a minor detail. It's much more important to have contacts who can help with providing references, work experience and generally help you assimilate.
Without contacts it's amost impossible, but if you haven't got the licence as well it might be wise to read the "returning home in 6 months" type posts in preparation.
Most plumbers spend a vast amount of time at work (usually claiming to hate every minute ) and to be prevented from performing their chosen profession is quite a major turnaround. After years of being sought after and in demand it's an unfamiliar feeling to just be another foreign plumber looking for a job.
hiya mate thanks for the advice didnt like the returning home in 6 months bit never the less any advice is appreciated.i am in a position where i have been to oz before and have worked there albeit many moons ago and i can tell you were in this for the long haul we have gone through highs and lows of getting visas and trying to sell the house now feel we have got nothing to lose i can tell you this i arent one to quit easily and am willing to start from scratch even if it means labouring for a living.i believe oz will give you what your prepared to put into it and in my case everything even if it means rejection at first but i certainly wont quit at the first hurdle.cheers crozz
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

hiya mate thanks for the advice didnt like the returning home in 6 months bit never the less any advice is appreciated.i am in a position where i have been to oz before and have worked there albeit many moons ago and i can tell you were in this for the long haul we have gone through highs and lows of getting visas and trying to sell the house now feel we have got nothing to lose i can tell you this i arent one to quit easily and am willing to start from scratch even if it means labouring for a living.i believe oz will give you what your prepared to put into it and in my case everything even if it means rejection at first but i certainly wont quit at the first hurdle.cheers crozz
That's the spirit Crozz. Seeing you've been this way before you'll know what you're letting yourself in for. I haven't been on this site for long but I've read quite a few tales of woe from plumbers.
Best thing I recon is just to get out here and get on with it (but bring plenty of cash to help through the transitional period). Bring all your tools too, even though the cu pipe sizing is nothing like UK you can get replacement rollers for the pipeslices to make them fit and the insulated copper tube is about the same od as the uninsulated uk 15 & 22 which means your benders will be useful. Sell your springs and propane torches though.
All the best Brian
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:15 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Talk to Rooksie's OH, Jed (via Rooksie) if you can.

Fraser has stated he's officially no longer a plumber.