Reload this Page >

Calling all parents!!!!!!

Calling all parents!!!!!!

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

JuandPaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all parents!!!!!!

Hi

I would really like to know what Australia is like for kids/teenagers?
I've read the usual 'great outdoors/sports life!'
But wondered what its like fro them to hang with their mates.

My eldest son is 12 and the area we live in at the moment isn't bad, yet I have only just started to give him the freedom to roam with his mates!
We are so scared of him getting 'mugged' for his things or his bike that he spends alot of time at home on the computer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want my kids wandering the streets, but would like them to have more freedom as I did, when I was growing up and be able to ride their bikes safely!

Is it any better over there than in the UK?
I value any opinions good or bad!

Last edited by JuandPaul; Jun 3rd 2007 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Spelling mistakes!!Oops!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

phillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all parents!!!!!!

Hi we have just come back from a reccie south of perth it looks pretty safe, we had poped in to look at some some schools most of the kids were walking home on there own and they look around 9 or 10 years old.

What part of kent are you living. We are just out side Tenterden and we have just starting to let our 12 year old girl go up to high street with a friend. Im not that keen for her to do that but my wife has said we have got to let her have some freedom.

phillip.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

JuandPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for your Info Phillip.

We are in Bexleyheath/Welling.
We are looking at settling in Brisbane area at the moment but i'm sure as long as we pick a good area we will be ok then.

My middle son is 9 at the moment and he is desperate to 'go out' with his mates, but I just don't feel its safe enough.It's nice to know that he will probably be ok with some freedom out there.

I know some people say Oz is 20 yrs behind but that suits me as far as my kids are concerned.
Kids grow up way too quickly now!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Chocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the roughChocolate_Teapot is a jewel in the rough

Like all places in the world it depends on where you are.
i live in a fair normal suburb and kids walk to school and play football in the street etc all safely.I have little ones at the moment but I am sure whne they are older they will have space to roam and I do not see problems in the future.
I am north-side Brisbane (Dakabin).