Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Microbiologists in NZ or going to NZ!!

Calling all Microbiologists in NZ or going to NZ!!

Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

davieshm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all Microbiologists in NZ or going to NZ!!

Hi,
I am hoping to find a job as a microbiologist in NZ and was wondering if there was anyone out there who is already in such a position in NZ. I have lots of addresses but would love to hear from anyone in the same profession as myself out in NZ.
Cheers

Holly
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all Microbiologists in NZ or going to NZ!!

Originally posted by davieshm
Hi,
I am hoping to find a job as a microbiologist in NZ and was wondering if there was anyone out there who is already in such a position in NZ. I have lots of addresses but would love to hear from anyone in the same profession as myself out in NZ.
Cheers

Holly
Forget your current job, and look forward to working in cleaning, call centre, or retail. Pessimistic? Whinger? Ozzies and NZers in your job leave and go to UK and USA. You, a foreigner with foreign qualifications and experience, will be wanted more than them? Even you do not believe that.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:33 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Wilf
Forget your current job, and look forward to working in cleaning, call centre, or retail. Pessimistic? Whinger? Ozzies and NZers in your job leave and go to UK and USA. You, a foreigner with foreign qualifications and experience, will be wanted more than them? Even you do not believe that.

What brand of cleaning do you/did you do then mr wilf?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by PeteY
What brand of cleaning do you/did you do then mr wilf?
I came to Oz as a tradesman. The country is best for trades. I mean that people who are office workers and suchlike can look forward to cleaning, etc.
You have a lot of experience of the Oz and NZ job market for biology?

Last edited by Wilf; Jun 11th 2003 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:39 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

And just so this thread does'nt degrade to another wild off topic job...

Try these links...

http://www.nzms.org.nz/
http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/employer/10706E471

And don't believe all of what Wilf says. Its true that the research sciences are better catered for in europe/us, but they are alive and well in oz/nz and if you have suitable quals/exp you should be able to get work.

One of my wifes mates (an Aussie) has just finished her Phd here at Durham (she did 2 yrs of it at Cmbrdge), and she coul've obtained work anywhere she liked. She chose to move back to oz as she believed she was better served by the science community there (shes gone to Adelaide uni).
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

And just so this thread does'nt degrade to another wild off topic job...

Try these links...

http://www.nzms.org.nz/
http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/employer/10706E471

And don't believe all of what Wilf says. Its true that the research sciences are better catered for in europe/us, but they are alive and well in oz/nz and if you have suitable quals/exp you should be able to get work.

One of my wifes mates (an Aussie) has just finished her Phd here at Durham (she did 2 yrs of it at Cmbrdge), and she coul've obtained work anywhere she liked. She chose to move back to oz as she believed she was better served by the science community there (shes gone to Adelaide uni).
She is an ozzie. Foreigners are not treated the same as ozzies as you go up the scale of jobs. You know nothing - Orpington is an outer suburb of Sydney?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:56 pm
A Male Member

Actually, in the science community there is very little emphasis upon your nationality.

This is due to the extremely small number of people within the respective fields who are qualified or experienced enough to do the work. At my place of work, we have people from aus, the US, canada, china, slovakia....the list goes on and on.

I have already been offered work by two different organisations in Australia....and they know im British.

I have an English friend who is an Astronomer, hes currently working in Canberra. I suspect they knew he was british when they hired him.

I have several other British friends and colleagues who have either worked and lived in oz, or still do, all with jobs in the science arena.

Howcome you know so much about the science job scene downunder? Being a tradesman and all. Overhear someone chatting when you were fitting lab or somthing?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Howcome you know so much about the science job scene downunder? Being a tradesman and all. Overhear someone chatting when you were fitting lab or somthing?
The really sad part about this is that Holly is going to believe that you have said something of relevance to her in NZ and will think all will be well. Ok, well done.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:10 pm
A Male Member

If Holly is a qualified microbiologist, and has experience in her field, she may be able to find work.

I do not know particulaly about newzealand, but the in Australian job market, she could be employable. Its impossible to tell until she actually tries. Hopefully my series of posts here will demontrate that in Australia at least, there is an active market for work in the science fields. I.E. There IS hope.

The really sad part about this is that Holly is going to believe that you have said something of relevance to her in NZ and will think all will be well. Ok, well done.
How was your original post going to help her? You know absolutly NOTHING about the science job market in New Zealand, as your neither a scientist, nor are you in New Zealand. There was no reason for you to reply to this thread, as you could not offer anything that might have been of assistance.

Pointless....as are most of your posts.

Last edited by PeteY; Jun 11th 2003 at 11:15 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

If Holly is a qualified microbiologist, and has experience in her field, she may be able to find work.

I do not know particulaly about newzealand, but the in Australian job market, she could be employable. Its impossible to tell until she actually tries. Hopefully my series of posts here will demontrate that in Australia at least, there is an active market for work in the science fields. I.E. There IS hope.

How was your original post going to help her? You know absolutly NOTHING about the science job market in New Zealand, as your neither a scientist, nor are you in New Zealand.

Pointless....as are most of your posts.
Your posts sum up to: "She COULD be employable. It's impossible to tell until she actually tries" which says "I don't know". She will be grateful for your encouragement when she starts her cleaning job.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:22 pm
A Male Member

Your posts sum up to: "She COULD be employable. It's impossible to tell until she actually tries" which says "I don't know". She will be grateful for your encouragement when she starts her cleaning job.
Oh come on Wilf your beginning to sound like a record with the needle stuck.

Of course im going to say that she "could" be employable. How can i guarantee her work when she gets out there.

YOU have NO Idea about science related jobs. I do.

If holly is employable in microbiology in the Uk, then she is enloyable in microbiology in NZ. Noone can ever say for sure "yes you will be able to find work", but i can say that in most science fields there is an active flow of work.

What makes you think you know better than i (or anyone else) about thier particular field of work in australia/NZ? Yes, you have lived out there, but unless you try for jobs in microbiology ur pretty much clueless.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh come on Wilf your beginning to sound like a record with the needle stuck.

Of course im going to say that she "could" be employable. How can i guarantee her work when she gets out there.

YOU have NO Idea about science related jobs. I do.

If holly is employable in microbiology in the Uk, then she is enloyable in microbiology in NZ. Noone can ever say for sure "yes you will be able to find work", but i can say that in most science fields there is an active flow of work.

What makes you think you know better than i (or anyone else) about thier particular field of work in australia/NZ? Yes, you have lived out there, but unless you try for jobs in microbiology ur pretty much clueless.
You have admitted you are clueless about the market in NZ. You say I am not aware of the science world. Then we are even and it comes down to your guess and my guess. Your guess, from sitting in Orpington, Kent, is that she will be a microbiologist in NZ, my guess, as someone who has many friends in NZ and has been there a number of times, is that she will end up in cleaning or working on a till in a shop or something like that. She will tell us who is right? She must adopt the motto "An interesting job is not everything" and then she will be OK.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:34 pm
A Male Member

You have admitted you are clueless about the market in NZ. You say I am not aware of the science world. Then we are even and it comes down to your guess and my guess. Your guess, from sitting in Orpington, Kent, is that she will be a microbiologist in NZ, my guess, as someone who has many friends in NZ and has been there a number of times, is that she will end up in cleaning or working on a till in a shop or something like that. She will tell us who is right? She must adopt the motto "An interesting job is not everything" and then she will be OK.
No wilf....i would not be so presumptuous as to guess that she would be anything in New Zealand.

I simply disagree with your gross generalisation that Holly will not find work.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

No wilf....i would not be so presumptuous as to guess that she would be anything in New Zealand.

I simply disagree with your gross generalisation that Holly will not find work.
You are taking a fair minded attitude. So will I.
I am not sure what will happen and neither are you and we agree on that. However, I do think she will find SOME work but not if she wants to stay in a higher profession or that sort of thing. Her chances are very small in my opinion. She will find work if she is prepared to work at anything she can get, but that may well be factory, cleaning, shop work. If this is so pessimistic, then why are so many doing the same work and they are natives. She may think she is better than locals because she has a BSc or more certificates, but I believe employers, especially in little NZ, has more than enouhg locals with top degrees and they have trained there and so are going to be better suited to local needs. Even an old fool like me can see that that is just logical. If she moves to OZ instead, I MAY be able to come over to your side more, I give you that Pete, but she is aiming at little NZ.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 12:47 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Seeing as the tone of this thread has gone down hill, I'll lower it further.

There will be some vacancies soon at Crop and Food Research seeing as 7 of them were killed in a plane crash the other day.

Or we could all believe Wilf in that little backward NZ doesn't actually have any institutions like this.

Paula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.