Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all in Melbourne Do ya like it???

Calling all in Melbourne Do ya like it???

Old Jul 29th 2006, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Guocera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling all in Melbourne Do ya like it???

G'day!!

We fly out 08/08/06 to stay with mates in Adelaide! We want to check out Perth and Melbourne. I am going more for melbourne have to say but the weather puts me off. People always say how cold and horrible the weather can be and how it can have all the seasons in one day! What do you think????

Perth sounds great but house prices are worrying me!

Lissa x
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:06 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all in Melbourne Do ya like it???

Originally Posted by Guocera
G'day!!

We fly out 08/08/06 to stay with mates in Adelaide! We want to check out Perth and Melbourne. I am going more for melbourne have to say but the weather puts me off. People always say how cold and horrible the weather can be and how it can have all the seasons in one day! What do you think????

Lissa x
Hi Lissa

Can't say the weather would put me off. Cold? bit like spring in the UK with bright blue sky a gentle breeze (to freshen you up more than chill ya bones).

I think alot of people are misunderstanding that sitting on a sunny beach will bring them true happiness they are missing in their UK lives. - It helps but doesnt resolve fundamentals - Melbourne does solve those and has what i would consider a very pleasant range/mix of weather (makes life more interesting).

And lots of lovely people from BE and local prove Melbourne a great destination. It also sounds like it might be more affordable considering Perth house prices

Kiwi
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

G'day,

I read the other day (somewhere on B.E. so it must be true) that Melbourne gets an average of 26" of rain per annum, compared with 23" in London. That said, we don't have chavs in faux-Burberry baseball caps to contend with.

Today we have walked along the beach at St Kilda and around the lake at Albert Park. It's still winter but I had a jumper on, no coat. So it's not that cold or wet.

We've been in Melbourne for five months now and I love it here. There is always lots to see and do; certainly compared to Crawley, where we lived in the UK. The suburb (South Yarra) where we live is fantastic. We have some great food markets on hand; loads of clothes shops and shops that sells shiny things with plugs! I also think that we could walk to a different restaurant almost every night for a year and not visit the same one twice. The people here are really friendly, too, which is a big plus. In the time that we have been in Melbourne, we have been to see sporting events, two local symphony orchestras, Fiddler on the Roof at the theatre and have been to the cinema quite a few times (and it's far better than the one we used to attend). The public transport system is far better, too. "Ding-ding!"

Come, check it out for yourself, that's the only way to be sure.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:27 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
G'day,

I read the other day (somewhere on B.E. so it must be true) that Melbourne gets an average of 26" of rain per annum, compared with 23" in London. That said, we don't have chavs in faux-Burberry baseball caps to contend with.

Today we have walked along the beach at St Kilda and around the lake at Albert Park. It's still winter but I had a jumper on, no coat. So it's not that cold or wet.

We've been in Melbourne for five months now and I love it here. There is always lots to see and do; certainly compared to Crawley, where we lived in the UK. The suburb (South Yarra) where we live is fantastic. We have some great food markets on hand; loads of clothes shops and shops that sells shiny things with plugs! I also think that we could walk to a different restaurant almost every night for a year and not visit the same one twice. The people here are really friendly, too, which is a big plus. In the time that we have been in Melbourne, we have been to see sporting events, two local symphony orchestras, Fiddler on the Roof at the theatre and have been to the cinema quite a few times (and it's far better than the one we used to attend). The public transport system is far better, too. "Ding-ding!"

Come, check it out for yourself, that's the only way to be sure.
Gidday mate

What a coincidence you coming from Crawley (us from Horsham) and spent first 4 weeks in South Yarra. Now slightly further out in Armadale/Malvern.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
That said, we don't have chavs in faux-Burberry baseball caps to contend with.
BUT ..... there are a lot of people who haven't realized that the mullet isn't a good look
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

Hi all,
we've been here in Melbourne for 3 years now and we love it. I was from Epsom in surrey. We have just come back from the UK and i can say we definitely made the best move. It's just so over crowded over there and Melbourne is a cool city to live in. We now live in Greensborough.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Ekka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant futureEkka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Guocera
G'day!!

Lissa x
It would be interesting to see what your choice would be from those three places, but why restrict yourself to the southern fringe of the continent, the least typical part of Australia as a whole, with the worst climate, and the most different from the UK (apart from the climate).