Calling all Joiners

Old Jun 18th 2004, 4:18 pm
Just Startin'

scotpandj is on a distinguished road
Smile Calling all Joiners

Hi Guys

Looking for some help here.
I am a qualified time served Joiner
I understand that you must have your skills assessed by the TRA as part of your visa application.

As well as this assessment, do you have to register as a Joiner before you can seek employment,and if so does this apply whether you are working "books in"for a firm or self employed.
What is entailed in this process?
Do you have to go through a trade test?
Do you have to undertake some training to get up to speed on Aussie rules and regs.

We are thinking of moving to Adelaide

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys
Old Jun 19th 2004, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Calling all Joiners

Originally posted by scotpandj
Hi Guys

I understand that you must have your skills assessed by the TRA as part of your visa application.

As well as this assessment, do you have to register as a Joiner before you can seek employment,and if so does this apply whether you are working "books in"for a firm or self employed.
Do you have to undertake some training to get up to speed on Aussie rules and regs.

Thanks guys
oy ya miserable buggars, why has this post gone unanswered??

I'm a joiner/carpenter too. registration? as far as I know you dont have too, but I'm not looking to have to work straight away. if you do then it cant be that difficult, I mean it's not as complicated as electrics or gas now is it?

get your forms in and get to oz.

ps. applied for stni to vic and got visa in 18 weeks
Old Jun 19th 2004, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Originally posted by andy thomas
oy ya miserable buggars, why has this post gone unanswered??

I'm a joiner/carpenter too. registration? as far as I know you dont have too, but I'm not looking to have to work straight away. if you do then it cant be that difficult, I mean it's not as complicated as electrics or gas now is it?

get your forms in and get to oz.

ps. applied for stni to vic and got visa in 18 weeks

I would have loved to reply.....but sadly i'm only a carpenter not a joiner so both my work and answers are not that accurate...
Old Jun 19th 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
I would have loved to reply.....but sadly i'm only a carpenter not a joiner so both my work and answers are not that accurate...
hey steve,

in oz a joiner is someone who joins bits of wood, a carpenter is the man with the skill.

Andy
Old Jun 19th 2004, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Originally posted by andy thomas
hey steve,

in oz a joiner is someone who joins bits of wood, a carpenter is the man with the skill.

Andy

My kinda country......thats why i'm leaving....

solidarity for the men with larger saws..:scared:

Ps: dont saw near Adelaide Andy...its my patch
Old Jun 19th 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
My kinda country......thats why i'm leaving....

solidarity for the men with larger saws..:scared:

Ps: dont saw near Adelaide Andy...its my patch

melly bound mate
Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry i haven't replied earlier m8, but here is my two penneth worth anyhow.
I am a carpenter/joiner and have been since 1979. We first did our research about the TRA and what they expected, gathered all the relavent documents they ask for (getting a copy of City and Guilds was a nightmare) and got a friend (a local magistrate) to sign them all, stating their authenticity and sent them all of with fingers crossed.
We got a reply stating that indeed i am a carpenter/joiner. Feeling very elated we had taken the first steps to getting to Oz by ourselves.
Really the only advice i can give is be totally honest about what you can and cant do within your trade, tell them about the machinery you have used and explain in detail as much as you can about the work that you do. Just remember that it will be an Australian joiner/carpenter that assesses your application (I believe).
Good luck to all that are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:18 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by scotpandj
Hi Guys

Thanks guys
The answer to all that lot is no. This is the proceedure....

1. Get assessed by TRA.

2. Get your PR visa.

3. Come to Oz.

4. Get a blue card. (a safety cert. which takes half a day)

5. Start work.

I'm ready to do no.4.
But I haven't bothered yet 'cos I'm still having a rest.