Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Cat Lovers!

Calling all Cat Lovers!

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

frizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nice
Default Calling all Cat Lovers!

O.k, need some advice from fellow cat lovers.

A bit of background......

I am leaving in May to go travelling around the World and then we will be ending up in Sydney around November time and staying for 12 months on a tourist visa (whilst waiting for other visa to come through). I will be popping back to the UK after the 12 months in Sydney is up to sort a few things out. So we will be out of the UK until November 2010 (18 months)

I have a cat which I adore, she is like the child I never had (yes sad I know but fellow cat lovers will understand). She is 11 and currently in good health. I have had her since she was a kitten and she has been there for me through all of the ups and downs life has thrown at me during my 36 years.

She will be staying at my home in the UK with friends who conveniently are going to rent the house for a minimum of 2 years. At least she will be in an environment she knows so this should reduce the amount of stress she has to go through.

I am already getting upset at the thought of not seeing my cat for 18 months and giving my cat to my friends, even though she will be well looked after. I have even considered calling it all off and staying in drizzly UK because i miss my cat so so much.

My initial plan was to bring her over to Oz with me in 18 months time once I am more settled. This has gone some way to easing the emotional upset of giving her to my friends with the knowledge that I will have her again.

BUT..... last night my OH said, "she will hate it over there, its too hot, we will be in a flat (because of cost of housing in Sydney) and never be around much as we will be enjoying the outdoor life, its likely we wont have a garden and if we did the wildlife might kill her if the locals dont..... plus she wont remember you by the time you come to get her.......

Is he right? Should I just accept the fact that I will have to give up my cat in May and thats that? Is it fair on the cat to move her in 18 months time just for my own selfish needs?

The trouble is, at the moment, I am not sure i can make the decision to leave her, its just too upsetting but on the otherhand dont want to miss out on the opportunity of a life time.......

I am not looking for answers but just some thoughts from fellow Cat owners in Oz/UK - what would you do?

Did you take your cat or leave her behind and regret it?

Thanksx
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:34 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calling all Cat Lovers!

I know quite a lot of people who have brought cats, dogs etc and they are fine, very happy.

An outdoors cat may not immediately settle in an indoor environment but with her being an older cat and your cat then it will depend on her personality. Is she a cruisy cat?

You dont know for sure, but I would consider that I was bringing her, ensure she will be ok if you dont send for her and then play it by ear - you as her owner will know whether the situation you are bringing her to is suitable.

Cats are very versatile but can get upset by travel - I can give you lots of information about making the trip easier if it pans out that way.

Apart from all the goldfish murderers on this board, I havent met many australians that are that dangerous.

I left my cat and when I went home after 19 months, he definitely still loved me the most. He spent 5 weeks stuck to me like glue and purring on my shoulder like a crazed parrot.

I would chill out, make sure its all set up so the cat is safe and then see how it goes
Vivienne
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:06 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 2 11 year old cats to Oz last year and they are loving it. They were both outdoor cats but seem happy to potter about the house and sometimes the garden a little. I guess they're too old to be bothered with feline adventures now lol. We have a colorbond fence which they can't climb so they never leave the garden and we've planted a little cat garden for them with catnip and cat grass to keep them happy. Actually, one of the cats hardly ever even goes out now at all and is happy to sit and sniff the air through the fly screen

I worried if they'd suffer with the journey and they seemed to cope brilliantly. I worried if the heat would be a problem but believe it or not, even on hot days like today, they sneak around the house to find little chinks of light coming in the closed blinds and then sit on the bit of floor the sunlight is heating up !!!

We thought long and hard about whether or not to bring the cats but I'm 100% happy we did

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frizzy1
O.k, need some advice from fellow cat lovers.

A bit of background......

I am leaving in May to go travelling around the World and then we will be ending up in Sydney around November time and staying for 12 months on a tourist visa (whilst waiting for other visa to come through). I will be popping back to the UK after the 12 months in Sydney is up to sort a few things out. So we will be out of the UK until November 2010 (18 months)

I have a cat which I adore, she is like the child I never had (yes sad I know but fellow cat lovers will understand). She is 11 and currently in good health. I have had her since she was a kitten and she has been there for me through all of the ups and downs life has thrown at me during my 36 years.

She will be staying at my home in the UK with friends who conveniently are going to rent the house for a minimum of 2 years. At least she will be in an environment she knows so this should reduce the amount of stress she has to go through.

I am already getting upset at the thought of not seeing my cat for 18 months and giving my cat to my friends, even though she will be well looked after. I have even considered calling it all off and staying in drizzly UK because i miss my cat so so much.

My initial plan was to bring her over to Oz with me in 18 months time once I am more settled. This has gone some way to easing the emotional upset of giving her to my friends with the knowledge that I will have her again.

BUT..... last night my OH said, "she will hate it over there, its too hot, we will be in a flat (because of cost of housing in Sydney) and never be around much as we will be enjoying the outdoor life, its likely we wont have a garden and if we did the wildlife might kill her if the locals dont..... plus she wont remember you by the time you come to get her.......

Is he right? Should I just accept the fact that I will have to give up my cat in May and thats that? Is it fair on the cat to move her in 18 months time just for my own selfish needs?

The trouble is, at the moment, I am not sure i can make the decision to leave her, its just too upsetting but on the otherhand dont want to miss out on the opportunity of a life time.......

I am not looking for answers but just some thoughts from fellow Cat owners in Oz/UK - what would you do?

Did you take your cat or leave her behind and regret it?

Thanksx
I took my cat with me - he has settled beautifully although was very clingy when he came out of quarantine. He is an indoor cat so is no threat to wildlife at all, he has always been an indoor cat and knows nothing else.

He spends his time chattering to the parrots and making threats against them

Back to your cat, I can see why you are upset at leaving her for 18 months - and if it were me, unless you are absolutely sure that your friends will love her as you love her and will take her to the vet as and when needed for any health issues, then I would rehome her to someone that will honour that committment.

Taking on a mates cat is one thing, but they need to be prepared for the vet bills that can invariably accompany a senior pet and that can be costly.

Hard though it will be on you, please make sure that wherever your cat goes -that the new owners be it permanent or temporary, will honour that.

Which is why I would rehome her, because how many people would do that for a cat that is not theirs?

Bloody hard and I feel so sorry for you, but make sure you have the veterinary side of it completely covered.

Bringing my Gordon here has meant the world to me - it truly has, I love him so much and although my husband tried to persuade me to rehome him, at the end of the day there was noone I trusted enough to love him as I do.

Good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:11 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky Gordon Every cat should have his mum. My mother and I argued over mine - she won!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Lucky Gordon Every cat should have his mum. My mother and I argued over mine - she won!
Gordon is asleep on the table.
Attached Thumbnails Calling all Cat Lovers!-gordon-two.jpg  
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

frizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your responses so far; its good to see how many cats are loving their new homes in the sun (now maybe that could be a new TV show for Amanda Lamb!!!).

She is an indoors cat anyway and only goes out for a sniff around - a bit of wind or rain and she is in pronto.

I have already agreed with my friends, who will be renting and living in my house with my Cat, that I will cover the cost of all vet bills etc and have asked that they take her to the vet on a 6 monthly basis for a check up. I do think they will look after her well, but there isnt anyone out there that knows her like I do!.

I am also planning on introducing my friends to my cat during the month before I go so that its not a complete shock when suddenly I go and they move in.

They will be providing me with regular updates on the cat (including photos!) etc.

I think everyone is right, I will ensure she is as happy as she can be at home with her temporary owners for 18 months, go on my trip and see how things stand when I get back.

Assuming all is o.k and I still miss her terribly, then I will bring her to Oz, provided the vet says she is fit and healthy etc to cope with the trip.

If there wasnt a gap of 18 months in between me leaving and going to Oz I wouldnt even be having these thoughts as she would definately be coming with me, no matter what the £cost. But because she may have settled with the new owners during that time, I guess I am worried that she might not "want" to leave as such and therefore it would be better for her stay put.......

I dont know how I am going to cope without her for 18 months, even though it is a trip of a lifetime! I will just keep focusing on the fact I will see her very soon....

Thanks again everyone x
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

A had a friend who had a long haired cat. She trimmed it one summer and it was a lot happier about the heat. It looked like a mini lion with a mane!

Cats easily remember people for at least a few years after. What a lot of people don't realise is that cats can be indifferent to people. A sort of they know who you are but can't be arsed type of thing.

If you get a flat try to get a ground floor one!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
A had a friend who had a long haired cat. She trimmed it one summer and it was a lot happier about the heat. It looked like a mini lion with a mane!

Cats easily remember people for at least a few years after. What a lot of people don't realise is that cats can be indifferent to people. A sort of they know who you are but can't be arsed type of thing.

If you get a flat try to get a ground floor one!
Ha, ha the thought of trimming my cat made me smile! Thanks your comment re cats remembering people is reassuring and yes a ground floor flat would be best lol!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

We brought ours over and have never regretted it, even if her flight was more expensive than ours! She's an indoors cat as well but she seems to enjoy watching different birdlife outside than what she saw in the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:40 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We brought 3 cats with us aged, at the time, 4, 6 and 15.

We, too, worried about the flight, quarantine and how they'd settle. Also whether they'd remember us as they had to stay in a cattery in the UK for 2 months before they flew as quarantine in Perth (Byford) was fully booked.

The older cat was on medication but happy in herself. We'd thought of rehoming but we'd had her for all her 15 years and decided to bring her.

It seemed forever but eventually we got the call from Byford to say they'd arrived safely. They were concerned about our older cat as she weighed only a few kgs so asked us to go in and have a look at her.

We'd not seen them for 2 months and we couldn't get there quick enough!

She was fine, lost a little weight but she was a small cat.

Worried about them remembering? Forget it.

Ours took one look and and screamed the place down, they clung like limpets to us. It was hard leaving them but we visited every other day for 4 weeks and eventually we brought them home.

Our two younger cats adore the place, they love their garden but we have so much space inside that they still enjoy exploring the house.

Our older cat only went out once and decided, after 15 years, that she prefered dozing in a warm spot inside. Sadly she died in her sleep, aged 16, only 6 months later but she enjoyed her brief stay here and I'm glad we brought her.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Ha, ha the thought of trimming my cat made me smile! Thanks your comment re cats remembering people is reassuring and yes a ground floor flat would be best lol!
I was surprised that the cat let her trim it. Mine would be likely to become all teeth and claws!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:26 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like I am on my own here! I left my cat behind... she is living in our old house with the new owners and their other 2 cats... my neighbour sees her and gives her a stroke and a pet from us all...

I miss her terribly but I know it was the right decision to leave her behind.. she has the sort of personality that hates change of scene... she is not really a lapcat and loves being on our old decking stretched out in the sun.. we had only just moved her (well, 2 years prior) and she took to our new house (now our old house!) like the proverbial duck..

I miss her so much, but the move over here wouldnt have been right for her.. she was happy as larry where she was and the new owners were massive cat lovers so my last vision of her was when we drove away and the new owner had picked her up and was getting her to wave us off with her paw! haha!

She never lets people pick her up (but rarely) and the fact that she let him meant I knew that she would be happy there...

Em x
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emelems
Looks like I am on my own here! I left my cat behind... she is living in our old house with the new owners and their other 2 cats... my neighbour sees her and gives her a stroke and a pet from us all...

I miss her terribly but I know it was the right decision to leave her behind.. she has the sort of personality that hates change of scene... she is not really a lapcat and loves being on our old decking stretched out in the sun.. we had only just moved her (well, 2 years prior) and she took to our new house (now our old house!) like the proverbial duck..

I miss her so much, but the move over here wouldnt have been right for her.. she was happy as larry where she was and the new owners were massive cat lovers so my last vision of her was when we drove away and the new owner had picked her up and was getting her to wave us off with her paw! haha!

She never lets people pick her up (but rarely) and the fact that she let him meant I knew that she would be happy there...

Em x

Hi,

It sounds like you made the right decision for your cat and didnt let your own feelings interfere which is admirable.

My cat is used to moving around (I have moved houses 5 times and she comes with me to stay with my parents over Xmas!) so I dont think that will be a problem and she settles well. She is a lap cat but fussy whose lap she sits on lol!

My friends who will be looking after her whilst I am away like pets are not necessarily "cat nuts" like we all are - but I know she will be cared for.

However, like you, IF when I come back she is very settled and doesnt seem to remember me then I will have to make the decision as to what is best for her.

Everyone has said that their cat remembered them after a couple of months but I will be away for at least a year - do you think she will still remember me after this time?

Assuming she does and is not too settled she is definately coming after what everyone has said! I can imagine her sitting on the windowsill watching and chattering to the birdies!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:35 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not he same situation as yours but we brought both of our cats over with us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.