Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all in Buderim & Mooloolaba area

Calling all in Buderim & Mooloolaba area

Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future
Smile Calling all in Buderim & Mooloolaba area

Hi All,

After long hours looking at this site in the UK, it's time to take the plunge and see who's actually out there.

We have been here for 6 weeks now and are living in leafy Buderim. We are Brit Thirtysomethings with 2 kids (9 & 7) and already love the area, life and weather but we're finding it hard to meet people in our situation. Is it just us we wonder?? God we hope not!

We would love to meet up soon with any friendly expats or Aussies for a beer, BBQ etc (except a cup of Australian Tea ).

How do you go about this though? as it's quite a daunting thought as at the moment the kids have a better social life than we do - so whats that about!!

Someone please tell us we are not mad for doing this!!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Calling all in Buderim & Mooloolaba area

hi there, and welcome to the forum. glad to see you like Buderim as it was one of the areas i have earmarked for WHEN i get my visa. there are quite a few expats on this forum who live around that area. hopefully you will get some replies from them later. kids always seem to make friends quicker cause they meet so many people at school. hang on in there as i'm sure you will meet some likeminded people soon. take care selina xxx
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by selina
hi there, and welcome to the forum. glad to see you like Buderim as it was one of the areas i have earmarked for WHEN i get my visa. there are quite a few expats on this forum who live around that area. hopefully you will get some replies from them later. kids always seem to make friends quicker cause they meet so many people at school. hang on in there as i'm sure you will meet some likeminded people soon. take care selina xxx
Hi Selina!
Thanks so much for the encouraging reply, we feel better already!
Buderim is indeed a beautiful place to live and we are really happy here, as i'm sure you will be too.
It's early days and we are getting out and about as much as we can so things are good.
If you need any info on Buderim, we will always be happy to help.
Thanks
Becks (pearl!) xxx
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

wezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to allwezzies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pearl&Wal
Hi All,

After long hours looking at this site in the UK, it's time to take the plunge and see who's actually out there.

We have been here for 6 weeks now and are living in leafy Buderim. We are Brit Thirtysomethings with 2 kids (9 & 7) and already love the area, life and weather but we're finding it hard to meet people in our situation. Is it just us we wonder?? God we hope not!

We would love to meet up soon with any friendly expats or Aussies for a beer, BBQ etc (except a cup of Australian Tea ).

How do you go about this though? as it's quite a daunting thought as at the moment the kids have a better social life than we do - so whats that about!!
hi. welcome, I'm sure you will get lots of replies from the forum.
i would love some info. on the area , we too are looking into the sunshine coast and there seems to be lots of positives about Buderim. could you give us some idea of what the property is like and approx. prices for example are there any new builds going on or starting soon ( 4 bedroom). schools ( we have 6 & 8 yr old), open areas( parks,places to go for walks e.t.c.), is the area close to the beach. sorry for so many questions but u get a better more honest answer from someone who is actually there than any real estate websites.
unfortunately we are only looking to come out sept time but IF we get visa would love to meet up.
wezzies
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Hi there

As soon as we sell our house we will be over in Buderim or Mountain Creek and would love to meet up for a drink or 2
I'll let you know when we are over

BTW I am 40, wife is 39 and we have a 16 year old son
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:22 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

we've been in Buderim for almost a year now (crikey where DOES the time go?) with our 3 sprogs, (almost)16, 13 and 10. The kids have settled fab...eldest 2 go to Mt Creek High, youngest Buderim Mtn SS. Hubby has work...although he hates it, but that's another story ....I finally have work and we're happy. So far so good. We're about to transfer our dough over to take the plunge and buy our piece of Australia...I can't bear to rent a moment longer and fund someone else's retirement!

If anyone wants to get together or ask any questions, fire away & I'll do the best I can.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

sarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

Hello
We are in Mountain Creek - been here nearly two and half years. We also have two kids but older than yours - 13 & 9.
We've been there with the kids actually having a social life and us sitting at home like Billy no mates
I'll send you a PM so you can get in touch if you want to meet up for a
Sarah
Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:00 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

We are a couple of thirty somethings with two kids 7 and 9 looking to come out to mooloolaba/buderim this year. Is there much choice of schools in the area and what has been you impression of them? What are the employment prospects like, I am a fitter by trade but fancy a change if it's required.

We will be in the same position as you oneday and we all have to go through a transition period where we don't know many people but that is half the fun.

Are there any clubs you could join etc.
I know there are lots of people from that area on here so you shouldn't have too much trouble meeting people.

Good luck and maybe we will meet when we get out there this year.
Dave
Old Mar 25th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

innocent bystander is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there

We will be arriving in Buderim on 20th April 2006 and hope to be able to sort out a rental as soon as possible. We would really like to meet up with folk when we arrive and would be happy to join all who are able for a drink or ten.
We are him (35) her (31) and them (7 and 3) and love to barbie.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by innocent bystander
Hello there

We will be arriving in Buderim on 20th April 2006 and hope to be able to sort out a rental as soon as possible. We would really like to meet up with folk when we arrive and would be happy to join all who are able for a drink or ten.
Yeah, new people are arriving soon . You'll love it here, Buderim is so beautiful. Take our details and send us a PM once you get here. We'll happilly help you settle in and guide you through the best Aussie beers and Wines 9we are currently emersed in a rigerous testing programme)
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:30 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innocent bystander
Hello there

You're arriving about the same time we did last year....I warn ya..it'll bucket down the minute you land...it did to us
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happy chappy
We are a couple of thirty somethings with two kids 7 and 9 looking to come out to mooloolaba/buderim this year. Is there much choice of schools in the area and what has been you impression of them? What are the employment prospects like, I am a fitter by trade but fancy a change if it's required.

We will be in the same position as you oneday and we all have to go through a transition period where we don't know many people but that is half the fun.

Are there any clubs you could join etc.
I know there are lots of people from that area on here so you shouldn't have too much trouble meeting people.

Good luck and maybe we will meet when we get out there this year.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Great to hear you might be out here at some stage this year.

There seem lots of good Schools in this area. We looked at a few prior to moving some state and some private (we found fees are A LOT cheaper for Private education here than the UK). All seem good though but the private ones do have better facilities and smaller class sizes (I suppose that's what your'e paying for).

Mountain Creek near Buderim/Mooloolaba has a good reputation and is a State School but you have to live within it's School Zone area which can be a problem if moving from the UK. realestate.com.au usually gives School Zone advice with it's rental properties.

There seem a lot of Lutheran Schools around here and although we looked at a few we decided they wern't the right environment for our two.

Matthew Flinders also comes highly recommended though is quite pricey.

In the end we sent our kids to Caloundra City School which is 20 mins away by car but is brand new and although Private very affordable (no way we could have afforded this in the UK). The facilities are excellent the Class sizes are 10-12 per class and the teachers are enthusiastic and highly professional. The kids actually enjoy going to School now (our 9 year old hated School in England) and are more confident and active so we are very happy

Most Schools have websites if you do a search for them.

Employment-wise you should have no problems as a fitter (depending what type) but i's say as Skills/Trades are in so much demand across Australia the same applies here (it's a growing area too).

Let us know if we can help you any more and send us a message when you arrive.

Good Luck.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi Wezzies,

We are renting for the first 12 months to get our bearings before we buy. You can get really good 4 bedroom places starting from $350 per week and upwards with $450 p/week getting you spacious house, 2 bathrooms, pool, views, tropical gardens, etc.

In my opinion Buderim is great because it's got that village feel, (although has a population of 35,000), is 10 mins from Mooloolaba beach, is surrounded by beautiful Countryside (Sunshine Coeast Hinterland) , is very Central for everything (Bruce Highway, Ocean, Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre) but has tons of character (which some other places lack a little).

There are loads of residential developments all over the coast so you'll have your choice.

I've posted a reply on your education question further up so take a look at that for guidence.

Let us know when you get here, if you need anymore info just shout.

Good Luck with everything.

Originally Posted by wezzies
hi. welcome, I'm sure you will get lots of replies from the forum.
i would love some info. on the area , we too are looking into the sunshine coast and there seems to be lots of positives about Buderim. could you give us some idea of what the property is like and approx. prices for example are there any new builds going on or starting soon ( 4 bedroom). schools ( we have 6 & 8 yr old), open areas( parks,places to go for walks e.t.c.), is the area close to the beach. sorry for so many questions but u get a better more honest answer from someone who is actually there than any real estate websites.
unfortunately we are only looking to come out sept time but IF we get visa would love to meet up.
wezzies
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:40 am
....is FAB

we found fees are A LOT cheaper for Private education here than the UK
...if you're earning $ then it's not quite so cheap

Mountain Creek near Buderim/Mooloolaba has a good reputation and is a State School but you have to live within it's School Zone area which can be a problem if moving from the UK. realestate.com.au usually gives School Zone advice with it's rental properties.
We found a lot of agents here didn't know what the catchment areas were (we were specifically looking for Mt Creek high catchment) It pays to just take the lists of rentals the agents have, getting a map of the catchment area from the school and checking for yourself.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:36 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dave,

Great to hear you might be out here at some stage this year.

There seem lots of good Schools in this area. We looked at a few prior to moving some state and some private (we found fees are A LOT cheaper for Private education here than the UK). All seem good though but the private ones do have better facilities and smaller class sizes (I suppose that's what your'e paying for).

There seem a lot of Lutheran Schools around here and although we looked at a few we decided they wern't the right environment for our two.

Matthew Flinders also comes highly recommended though is quite pricey.

In the end we sent our kids to Caloundra City School which is 20 mins away by car but is brand new and although Private very affordable (no way we could have afforded this in the UK). The facilities are excellent the Class sizes are 10-12 per class and the teachers are enthusiastic and highly professional. The kids actually enjoy going to School now (our 9 year old hated School in England) and are more confident and active so we are very happy

Most Schools have websites if you do a search for them.

Employment-wise you should have no problems as a fitter (depending what type) but i's say as Skills/Trades are in so much demand across Australia the same applies here (it's a growing area too).

Let us know if we can help you any more and send us a message when you arrive.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the info, it's nice to hear positive things from people who actually live in the area we are thinking of moving to.

I know there are regular expat meets on the Sunshine Coast so you should have your social life back soon

My eldest daughter is nervous about making friends, how have yours got on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.