Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all/any Midwives in WA/OZ ?

Calling all/any Midwives in WA/OZ ?

Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

cookiemonster1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Calling all/any Midwives in WA/OZ ?

Hi All,

Just a quick question for any Midwives in Australia - We (Husband, 3 year old and 1 year old and I) are waiting to hear about or Visa and if issued we are coming to Perth, WA and just have a few questions that if any one could help with that would be great !
Have already had 3 job offers and have had a few ideas about what its like - Can I ask
1) Work in UK are pestering me to do mentorship course - Is there any point ? Is it recognised in Oz at all ?
2) Have registered since 2005 in NSW and was hoping that if i fiiled in the form to transfer skills to WA that I wont have to undertake the IELETS Course - Is that just wishful thinking ?!
3) Does anyone keep up registration in the UK ?
4)How is everyone finding it ?

Many thanks in advance !
Kelly and family X
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all/any Midwives in WA/OZ ?

You may be better off putting this in the Nursing forum to hear from nurses and midwives already in Australia.

Gems
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=cookiemonster1;7964282]Hi All,

Just a quick question for any Midwives in Australia - We (Husband, 3 year old and 1 year old and I) are waiting to hear about or Visa and if issued we are coming to Perth, WA and just have a few questions that if any one could help with that would be great !
Have already had 3 job offers and have had a few ideas about what its like - Can I ask
1) Work in UK are pestering me to do mentorship course - Is there any point ? Is it recognised in Oz at all ?
2) Have registered since 2005 in NSW and was hoping that if i fiiled in the form to transfer skills to WA that I wont have to undertake the IELETS Course - Is that just wishful thinking ?!
3) Does anyone keep up registration in the UK ?
4)How is everyone finding it ?

Hey Kelly.
I am a Midwife, still in UK, big move next month! I can't answer all of your questions but I do have an opinion (for what it's worth - lol)

The Mentorship course is a massive piece of work. I'm not lazy but I think it's a big ask before you leave. I don't know if it would be recognised in OZ but you could email the education dept. at one of the hospitals where you've had offers.

If you're awaiting visa decision, then you would already have been asked to take the IELTS if required. Did you register before visa application? It's the Visa that requires the IELTS not the health department.

If you are not sure whether you will be staying in OZ, it may be useful to keep UK Registration. As stated on previous post, try the Nursing Forum. There will be lots of info on there.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Calling all/any Midwives in WA/OZ ?

Many thanks for both your replies - Just getting to grips with this forum, and appreciate your time to chat !
We submitted Visa in May this year - So think we missed the deadline for the IELETS by a few weeks (Not on purpose ! Just really flukey!)
- Am thinking the same about mentorship - Have 2 really young kids and the whole 'It wont be in your own time' translates to 'Yes it will AND you will still have to work!' Lol X
Good luck with the move - Where you going ?
And thanks for the hint on the Nurses and midwives forum - Will sclepp over there now X

Many thanks again X
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Ooooh - Can I just ask are you shipping your furniture and stuff as well ?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cookiemonster1
Ooooh - Can I just ask are you shipping your furniture and stuff as well ?
Already gone!

Used Crown Relocation and up to now, can't fault them. They were so efficient, they even packed my dirty laundry basket!!!

Advice from others - take EVERYTHING. Even if you think you won't need it. If there's room in the container, pack what you can.
x
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cookiemonster1
Many thanks for both your replies - Just getting to grips with this forum, and appreciate your time to chat !
We submitted Visa in May this year - So think we missed the deadline for the IELETS by a few weeks (Not on purpose ! Just really flukey!)
- Am thinking the same about mentorship - Have 2 really young kids and the whole 'It wont be in your own time' translates to 'Yes it will AND you will still have to work!' Lol X
Good luck with the move - Where you going ?
And thanks for the hint on the Nurses and midwives forum - Will sclepp over there now X

Many thanks again X
Yes, you know the score don't you?! It's always in your own time and with young children, do you really need the stress?

Glad you missed the IELTS. I had to take it as lost points due to age ()

We are off to Brisbane. Starting off on Sunshine Coast but going to have a good look around when we get there.

Hope it all goes well for you.
All the best!