Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calling all Accounting Technicians (AAT)

calling all Accounting Technicians (AAT)

Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking calling all Accounting Technicians (AAT)

Hi to anyone who has completed their AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians).

I will be completing my final exam this month and will be departing for Perth on the 6th July 2003.

Those of you who are qualified AAT, can you please advise me
if it is recognised in Perth and how easy it is to get a suitable accounting job. Currently working as a Finance Officer for Local Government.

Any advise would be welcomed.

Cheers
Mel
Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:10 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: calling all Accounting Technicians (AAT)

Hi
I read recently that the AAT qualification has been recognised in Australia since last year.
Regards
S
Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

alilandeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: calling all Accounting Technicians (AAT)

[Hi Mel

Good luck for your finals, I completed technician level 4 in 2000 and am hoping to be in NZ January 04.

I know it is reconized in oz and nz and they do advertise for accounting techinicans in nz not sure about oz, but if they offer it as a course of study over there which they do they must need them.

Good luck in Perth

Allison]
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point

hi mel

i am doing my finals next week too, (DFS and MCV). Three years of hard graft nearly over!!!!

I went to an AAT meeting last year at a hotel in stockport near where I live and one of the representatives from the AAT told me that yes, Australia have started to recognise the qualification.

Good luck with your exams, let me know how you do

Perth Nov 2003 hopefully

Delia
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by delia
hi mel

i am doing my finals next week too, (DFS and MCV). Three years of hard graft nearly over!!!!

I went to an AAT meeting last year at a hotel in stockport near where I live and one of the representatives from the AAT told me that yes, Australia have started to recognise the qualification.

Good luck with your exams, let me know how you do

Perth Nov 2003 hopefully

Delia
Hi Delia,
Best of luck with your exams, took MCV in December and
I must say it was quite difficult. I'm taking the Local
Government Section of the Finance Exam - dreading it!!!
I've been in contact with the AAT both here in the UK and Aussie but it seems that the AAT in Aussie hasn't really got itself
established. Do you work for private sector?
Apparantely once we get qualified for AAT we are recognised as an Associate Member of the NIA - see email received from company ---

"The AAT is recognised in Australian however, compared to its counterpart in the UK it is much, much smaller and to be honest market recognition in Australia at this stage is almost nil.

The National Institute of Accountants is licensed to operate AAT in
Australia but this is an arrangement which only came into effect in 2002 and as with all new ventures the first year has proved to be a very hard road to hoe. Having said that efforts are continuing to increase the recognition of the AAT and I am confident that they will in time prove successful.
Membership of AAT (UK) does however, allow you to become an Associate Member of the National Institute of Accountants (NIA) which is a much larger and more widely recognised professional body.
As a passing comment, I have noticed that many recruitment consultants in Perth have worked in the UK and thus are very familiar with the AAT concept in its UK form. This helps them firstly to appreciate your skills in their UK context and secondly to understand what the NIA are trying to achieve in Australia with the AAT and I have found that they are very supportive of
such an initiative."

Hope this helps. If you get any other information, I would appreciate it if you could pass on.
Cheers
May see you sometime in November then. I will let you know what the job situation is like when I get over there in July.
Mel