Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Call To Raise GST A Regressive Step?

Call To Raise GST A Regressive Step?

Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Call To Raise GST A Regressive Step?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Steve needed that jet, didn't he? A tax write off is not so good for the tax payer when it's a ****** jet.
What's wrong with owning a jet?

Jets rock

I'd own one if I could afford it
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Jets rock

Nothing wrong with it, they would be super cool. But pay for it yourself would you? Don't go submitting a receipt in your tax return for your G5.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Steve needeindividual that jet, didn't he? A tax write off is not so good for the tax payer when it's a ****** jet.
I think you are more concerned about the individual and the concept. If you focus on it as belonging to Apple and its use as a mode of transport you find the resentment a lot easier to swallow.

Its been great, but its bed time. Catch you in the morning.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 9:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with it, they would be super cool. But pay for it yourself would you? Don't go submitting a receipt in your tax return for your G5.
If you are using it as a business expense, why can't you claim that against tax?

The system allows this at many levels and in many different scenarios - it's no different from claiming, say, a fuel allowance or a business lunch
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So I was mulling over the topic of tax breaks and I thought I might put some questions down. Like why do we have them? Are they used to keep business moving, help people buy and sell from each other. What would be the adverse effects of removing tax breaks? Just a thought.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using it as a business expense, why can't you claim that against tax?

The system allows this at many levels and in many different scenarios - it's no different from claiming, say, a fuel allowance or a business lunch
No difference between a jet and a business lunch? I see.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tax Advantages of Owning an Executive Jet | Private Aircraft Management

Better aligned with a car. That said you've gotta be pretty careful in what you can claim. Sort of got to use it to locations not serviced by major flights or prove that it a private jet saved on hotel costs etc. Not even sure the cost of purchase is a deduction. More like the depreciation is. Alan could possibly translate US tax law better than I can.

Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Consider 100 taxpayers.

2 of them pay a total of $26k in tax. That's $13k each.

98 of them pay a total of $74k. That's $755 each.

That is my understanding of the ATO stats.

What I think you are arguing is that the 2 in the example above should pay more than $26k. My question is, how much more?

And let's not forget that many of these higher income earners who you are pillorying are employers. Employers who employ people who pay PAYG.

Make the tax rates penal and there'll be no profit motive. No profit motive and there'll be little or no incentive to employ.

Remember the days of the UK's investment income surcharge in the 1970s, Garry? Making the pips squeak? 98% tax on investment income, and 83% top rate income tax generally? That led to fantastic employment outcomes in the late 70s, didn't it - another complete shambles economically left by a Labour Government.

Be careful what you wish for.

Best regards.
What most of us wish for is a degree of honesty in the payment of tax and not always the burden falling onto the middle class, for the simple reason they are the easiest to force to comply.

You have admitted it yourself by means of the 70's UK example. Don't worry nothing closely related to those extremes will ever return. What we don't want and must fight tooth and nail to prevent is the ever increasing wealth of the top 1% and governments going soft on corporate tax.

We do not want to become another low wage paying society like Britain, or a country where work to survive becomes the future due to a nation of debt induced slaves attempting to pay off over priced housing.

The rich are not paying their due. Time for entitlement to cease and tax evasion techniques come hard down on whether practiced by business or the wealthy.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So I was mulling over the topic of tax breaks and I thought I might put some questions down. Like why do we have them? Are they used to keep business moving, help people buy and sell from each other. What would be the adverse effects of removing tax breaks? Just a thought.
Well lets see. Less time attempting to get around the tax man for starters. Perhaps even a better quality of life where work is not the means to all things, might slow things down a bit and reduce prices as well so more can partake.

Let's see my benefits were a new car paid by tax savings, tax free money put aside for entertainment, be that pubs or restaurants. Could pay hotel bills tax free money earned and in general reduce my tax bill considerably.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jets rock

I expect you'd like a garage full of servants as well if could afford. Oh for the old days when dreams could be cheaply purchased, did I hear you say.

Who'd want a jet when you fly Air Asia and Tiger Airways? Just cacoon you from the masses which surely you'd find abhorrent?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well lets see. Less time attempting to get around the tax man for starters. Perhaps even a better quality of life where work is not the means to all things, might slow things down a bit and reduce prices as well so more can partake.

Let's see my benefits were a new car paid by tax savings, tax free money put aside for entertainment, be that pubs or restaurants. Could pay hotel bills tax free money earned and in general reduce my tax bill considerably.
Ok. It was only a matter of time before we got the self indulgent, first level benefit out the way. Lets see if someone can dig a little deeper in the wider economy and the benefits to all.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

You got it champ
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I expect you'd like a garage full of servants as well if could afford. Oh for the old days when dreams could be cheaply purchased, did I hear you say.

Who'd want a jet when you fly Air Asia and Tiger Airways? Just cacoon you from the masses which surely you'd find abhorrent?
You didn't hear me say but yet another BE're living in the past, there's a surprise

Actually, a garage full of servants would be kind of cool

I fly Air Asia, Tiger and Scoot all the time but I'd prefer my own jet
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You didn't hear me say but yet another BE're living in the past, there's a surprise

Actually, a garage full of servants would be kind of cool

I fly Air Asia, Tiger and Scoot all the time but I'd prefer my own jet
Could have sworn it was you. Must be a look alike. Yep. Coolest kid in your rue, up in those Hills, I'd expect. You could rent a slave.

The change from low cost to mind boggling private jet would likely be detrimental to head health.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You got it champ
Whatever one can get away with I expect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.