Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Call To Raise GST A Regressive Step?

Call To Raise GST A Regressive Step?

Old Feb 21st 2015, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Call To Raise GST A Regressive Step?

Your unwavering belief in the share market is commendable until of course it all goes tits up.

Fact being however you want to white wash over it of that 1% of the worlds population is fast approaching controlling close on a half of the wealth.

Doesn't matter in the slightest what figures you attempt to prove a point the cake is evaporating for the majority. You don't need to lecture me on the markets I have played it for decades in the past. Won and lost.
What is of more concern is the massive inequality building and the demise of the social contract. The hordes at the gate being forever the fear of those with the means.
Middle class get stung which ever way.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You're the one that's confused mate as we've been talking about this since page 1. It was pitched by the coalition to broaden the GST to fresh food.

What do you define as luxury items and basic/necessity items?
McDonalds. I find it a luxury and only part with money there as a rare treat. For many of my western sydney counterparts its a staple diet.

Best off kill your idea on this. Your version of luxury is different to mine which is different to our western sydney counterparts. Its discrimination, its too grey and it just won't work.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
McDonalds. I find it a luxury and only part with money there as a rare treat. For many of my western sydney counterparts its a staple diet.

Best off kill your idea on this. Your version of luxury is different to mine which is different to our western sydney counterparts. Its discrimination, its too grey and it just won't work.
You're using the term luxury in the wrong context. From your own personal budget perspective a 2 litre carton of A2 milk might be a luxury item as the Coles brand is much cheaper. Fruit from anywhere other than a supermarket might be luxury as they might be dearer.

If you consider product categories or sub categories as luxury or non luxury, it's easier to apply GST in a way that it doesn't target basics but is allowed to increase. Example, a mobile phone can be considered a non luxury item in todays world. A smart phone less so. A TV can be considered non luxury as people need to be informed of events, a top of the line TV is a luxury item as a Netflix button on your remote control is a non essential feature.

GST increases are probably required and I'm in favour of it. If it is increased and applied to the right types of products, it will target the wasteful spending shoppers but not increase a basic lifestyle cost that is already expensive. If you pay an extra 5% on your new TV (I think you bought one recently), you might whinge about it. But, if you have more affordable food and clothing, you can easily spot what is luxury and what isn't in your lifestyle.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You're using the term luxury in the wrong context. From your own personal budget perspective a 2 litre carton of A2 milk might be a luxury item as the Coles brand is much cheaper. Fruit from anywhere other than a supermarket might be luxury as they might be dearer.

If you consider product categories or sub categories as luxury or non luxury, it's easier to apply GST in a way that it doesn't target basics but is allowed to increase. Example, a mobile phone can be considered a non luxury item in todays world. A smart phone less so. A TV can be considered non luxury as people need to be informed of events, a top of the line TV is a luxury item as a Netflix button on your remote control is a non essential feature.

GST increases are probably required and I'm in favour of it. If it is increased and applied to the right types of products, it will target the wasteful spending shoppers but not increase a basic lifestyle cost that is already expensive. If you pay an extra 5% on your new TV (I think you bought one recently), you might whinge about it. But, if you have more affordable food and clothing, you can easily spot what is luxury and what isn't in your lifestyle.
You can do without a TV. Its non essential and you can be informed in other ways.

Let this one go. Its a dark alley you won't return from.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

You can do without a TV. Its non essential and you can be informed in other ways.

Let this one go. Its a dark alley you won't return from.
Let me make it more simple for you then (saying 'let this go' makes you look like you have nothing), if fresh food is necessity and exempt from GST, what do we call the rest if not luxury? Should only fresh food be exempt?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Let me make it more simple for you then (saying 'let this go' makes you look like you have nothing), if fresh food is necessity and exempt from GST, what do we call the rest if not luxury? Should only fresh food be exempt?
If you start trying to patronise, then I won't entertain you. You call the rest whatever you want. Its your concept. I'm not interested in it.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

If you start trying to patronise, then I won't entertain you. You call the rest whatever you want. Its your concept. I'm not interested in it.
But you can't help replying
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But you can't help replying
Well you are throwing out ideas at least even if every attempt is to rape the wealthy. Ideas are good though.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well you are throwing out ideas at least even if every attempt is to rape the wealthy. Ideas are good though.
And that is where your problem is. I've no interest in 'raping' the wealthy. Your prejudice means you can't be rational when reading my posts.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Rape the wealthy. Really? I think you know what exactly needs to be done and it is not a further impost on the lower earners.

An all out assault on the rich and well off and entitlement that the rest pay to support such rorts.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Rape the wealthy. Really? I think you know what exactly needs to be done and it is not a further impost on the lower earners.

An all out assault on the rich and well off and entitlement that the rest pay to support such rorts.
So you want to attack, rape and assault the wealthy. Complete and utter resentment shining through. That's fine so I'm out. Adios.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 3:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour

The rich AND the well off? Define well off (and I mean in monetary terms)?

Why don't you go for the average off as well in order to make even more money
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The rich AND the well off? Define well off (and I mean in monetary terms)?

Why don't you go for the average off as well in order to make even more money
Its a simple motto with these guys 'Millionaires should not get tax breaks until I become a millionaire".

Losers attitude
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Its a simple motto with these guys 'Millionaires should not get tax breaks until I become a millionaire".

Losers attitude
Do you realise what you look like when you say stuff like that?
Old Feb 26th 2015, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you realise what you look like when you say stuff like that?
Do try harder to poke and prod for a reaction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.