Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CALL FOR COMMENTS: Proposed NEW Britishexpat Forum Rules. Open until end Sept

View Poll Results: Do we want this forum moderated?
Yes
57.38%
No
42.62%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

CALL FOR COMMENTS: Proposed NEW Britishexpat Forum Rules. Open until end Sept

Old Sep 18th 2002, 6:57 am
ndaltonb

Default Re: CALL FOR COMMENTS: Proposed NEW Britishexpat Forum Rules. Open until end Sept

Hi Don,

Sorry, don't understand (probably not hip enough )? What is 'third level' swearing?

Nigel

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

What I personally object to is spurious 'third level' swearing but that seems to be moderated already.

Cheers - Don

Old Sep 18th 2002, 7:07 am
ndaltonb

Default Re: CALL FOR COMMENTS: Proposed NEW Britishexpat Forum Rules. Open until end Sept

This seems a sensible suggestion,

Would it be useful to have to pick a subject when starting a thread. It could be split as follows
- Visa -how to, timings, whoppee I've got it, etc
- Getting there everything you need to know about getting to Aus/NZ, packers, pets, flights, car imports etc
- Aus/NZ life once you have got there, what's it really like
- Other absolutely anything else

Then we could have at the front of every post
- Visa
- Going
- Aus/NZ Life
- Other

I'll ask Paul (admin) if this is feasible.

Nigel db

Originally posted by nixstuff:
Either the forum should be carefully (NOT heavily) moderated OR SPLIT. There should be two main sections - NEWS AND INFORMATION, and YOUR OPINIONS, with perhaps a clear statement to accompany the OPINION section like 'The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent..' etc etc.

Old Sep 18th 2002, 7:21 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

I personally do not think the Forum should be split. If a person wants to post rubbish in a split forum, he/she can simply cross-post the crap to all other forums.

Nigel's suggestion seems logical, although it's more to do with self-categorization rather than moderation.

Perhaps the categories for tagging a thread can be multiply selected instead, as sometimes a thread can encompass more than one category.

Just my $0.02

Peter

Originally posted by ndaltonb:
This seems a sensible suggestion,

Would it be useful to have to pick a subject when starting a thread. It could be split as follows
- Visa -how to, timings, whoppee I've got it, etc
- Getting there everything you need to know about getting to Aus/NZ, packers, pets, flights, car imports etc
- Aus/NZ life once you have got there, what's it really like
- Other absolutely anything else

Then we could have at the front of every post
- Visa
- Going
- Aus/NZ Life
- Other

I'll ask Paul (admin) if this is feasible.

Nigel db

Only changed my quote. Promise. Nigel db

I believe you, and I believe you forgot to insert the "/" between Aus and NZ

Last edited by ptlabs; Sep 18th 2002 at 5:18 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2002, 7:35 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Don,
Sorry, don't understand (probably not hip enough )? What is 'third level' swearing?
Nigel
Probably betraying my age, but (so as not to offend anyone I hope)

OK: bl***y, sh*t

Not OK: bas****, c***, wa**** etc
Old Sep 18th 2002, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

new rules...ok, not too tight though
Old Sep 18th 2002, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

It's really buggin me- what was Mr Flibble out of now? I seem to remember it being out of something v. v. funny?
Old Sep 18th 2002, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who is headed for NZ (visa in the post!), the immigration process was a relatively simple one. I have, however, found this forum extremely useful as regards "off topic" info, i.e. house prices, nice areas, good schools, flight info, etc. and the humour which often accompanies these posts lightens the days whilst we sit and wait. I certainly don't want to see any of that removed.

I'm not sure that the problem is such a big one. Having said that, the majority of info on here is for those headed for Oz which, for obvious reasons, I don't often read. I have though reported one or two posts for moderation myself in the past which contained racist or unnecessary abuse. All I would say, if you are going to start categorising posts, don't forget us headed to NZ!

Lizzie
Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:12 pm
ndaltonb

My fault Lizzie. Get a bit tunnel vision sometimes

If/When we go down category route, I'll make sure it also refers to NZ

Nigel db

Originally posted by lizzie:
All I would say, if you are going to start categorising posts, don't forget us headed to NZ!

Lizzie

Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:19 pm
ndaltonb

Don,

Forgive me but serious question. If there is a posting with the word "bastard", etc. Should
- the whole post be removed?
- just the bit (paragraph or sentence, it all depends) with the word in it
- just replace "bastard" with "bas****"

I sort of feel "bas****" just as bad as "bastard" as we all know what is actually meant.

Really looking for help here people.

Nigel db

Probably betraying my age, but (so as not to offend anyone I hope)

OK: bl***y, sh*t

Not OK: bas****, c***, wa**** etc

Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Don,

Forgive me but serious question. If there is a posting with the word "bastard", etc. Should

I sort of feel "bas****" just as bad as "bastard" as we all know what is actually meant.

Nigel db

I don't know the answer. But for me, the clue would be in my original post: is the swearing 'spurious' . If the swearword in question is of some relevance, it would be OK by me. Eg the handle 'Pommie Bastard' would be fine as it refers to a well known Aussie phrase and is not (I think) calculated to offend. Another eg, where the sweary bit is clearly amusing, it would be OK.

But just swearing badly because a poster got angry or frustrated would be off limits.

But I don't know the answer, just speaking for myself and I'm not particularly un-sweary at times.
Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:59 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer. But for me, the clue would be in my original post: is the swearing 'spurious' . If the swearword in question is of some relevance, it would be OK by me. Eg the handle 'Pommie Bastard' would be fine as it refers to a well known Aussie phrase and is not (I think) calculated to offend. Another eg, where the sweary bit is clearly amusing, it would be OK.

But just swearing badly because a poster got angry or frustrated would be off limits.

But I don't know the answer, just speaking for myself and I'm not particularly un-sweary at times.
I am with this post - don't know the answer - but as a thought, if the swearword is directed towards another poster or her/his opinion it is usually unnessary even if it is star*****'ed. But even this level gets rather difficult, so I have voted for unmoderated (beyond what we have currently - the opportunity to ask for an individual post to be removed because of a crass or offensive post) because it is a case for individual opinion and we can choose to read/not read.

Last edited by Sandra; Sep 18th 2002 at 6:16 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2002, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Nicky...MrFlibble was from an episode of Red Dwarf....Quarantine I think...it was when Rimmer went doolally and had a penguin hand puppet that had hex ray vision (it was either that or me called King Potato).

For everyone else who hasnt seen Red Dwarf....then apologies for it making no sense whatsoever!
Old Sep 19th 2002, 5:10 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Don,

Nigel db

Now come on theres nothing wrong with my name , it took me time to get used to it , but quite like it now all the Aussies use it when talking to Poms its a a nick name .
Most abuse in the English langauge only has 4 letters in each word , so bastard is okay.
Stop being so boring most Brits can take a bit of banter , if not they should stay at home .

Old Sep 19th 2002, 11:25 am
ndaltonb

No worries PB, wouldn't dream of changing the PB brand

Just trying to get feedback on other use of swearing. By the way, thanks to PB, Sandra and Don for your feedback.

Nigel
Originally posted by pommie bastard:
Now come on theres nothing wrong with my name , ...... all the Aussies use it when talking to Poms its a a nick name .
....... most Brits can take a bit of banter , if not they should stay at home .

Old Sep 19th 2002, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cantila is an unknown quantity at this point

A. Agreed

B. "this includes posts related to humour, sport, house prices, quality of life, etc." - no - these things are relative to the commity and lifestyle

C. No

D. "any thread that is started by a post which is simply, in the opinion of the moderator, meant to convince people to go elsewhere, or stay at home" AGREED! AGREED! AGREED! There is no benefit to having someone continously post who simply whats to irritate people.

E. AGREED

F. AGREED

G. AGREED

H. AGREED

Thanks Nigel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.