Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

calamvale and renting in general

calamvale and renting in general

Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

pic08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile calamvale and renting in general

hi we are off to brisbane hopefully in aug on a 457. I have a job at the Mater and we have been looking at Calamvale as a place to live. Our youngest son will hopefully be going to Thomas More High School (Catholic) so we need to be not too far from there. Any ideas on good areas, we are renting for a year then hopefully buying.

When we land we are booking a caravan park for 2 weeks, do you think this is enough time to secure a rental?

Also what documents do you need for a rental?

thanks in advance
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:08 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: calamvale and renting in general

I would say thats leaving it tight. Hubby and I came to Brisbane in June and allowed 2 weeks (trying to save money). We did it, but MAN oh MAN the stress!

If I had my time again, I would try find a cheaper place and take 3-4 weeks.

You will find some places take about 3 days to have even a look - they hold inspections on one day and it's only for 15 minutes usually for everyone. Most will apply on the day if they like it, so take ID etc and references in case.

We managed to find a place in the 10 days, but probably could've found somewhere cheaper had we had the leisure of time. We just got the place and managed to get some basic furniture when we had to leave the short term accommodation.

A Sat Nav was a GREAT investment.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: calamvale and renting in general

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I would say thats leaving it tight. Hubby and I came to Brisbane in June and allowed 2 weeks (trying to save money). We did it, but MAN oh MAN the stress!

If I had my time again, I would try find a cheaper place and take 3-4 weeks.

You will find some places take about 3 days to have even a look - they hold inspections on one day and it's only for 15 minutes usually for everyone. Most will apply on the day if they like it, so take ID etc and references in case.

We managed to find a place in the 10 days, but probably could've found somewhere cheaper had we had the leisure of time. We just got the place and managed to get some basic furniture when we had to leave the short term accommodation.

A Sat Nav was a GREAT investment.
thanks for this reply..what kind of things do we need to apply and secure....
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:44 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pic08
thanks for this reply..what kind of things do we need to apply and secure....
slightly different for each agent - but general we took everything we had! Passport essential, some references from previous landlords and UK bank statements are a good option as well as licence etc. They usually want about 100 points and different things have more points.

We offered to pay 3 months upfront (but didn't need to in the end) and also signed a 12 month lease instead of 6 to show we were serious which helped. In the end we were the only applicant though so that was a plus!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: calamvale and renting in general

thanks for this....whereabouts are you in brisbane?...do you know calamvale?
thanks
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:57 am
Ber-kerk

We are based in Morningside/Seven Hills (and seriously there are a shed load of hills!!)

I am not familiar with Calamvale but it was originally one of the areas we were looking at, but ruled out as all the work I was looking for was on the north side or near the airport, so I didn't fancy the commute.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:58 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pic08
hi we are off to brisbane hopefully in aug on a 457. I have a job at the Mater and we have been looking at Calamvale as a place to live. Our youngest son will hopefully be going to Thomas More High School (Catholic) so we need to be not too far from there. Any ideas on good areas, we are renting for a year then hopefully buying.

When we land we are booking a caravan park for 2 weeks, do you think this is enough time to secure a rental?

Also what documents do you need for a rental?

thanks in advance
Try and get the application filled in before you view. that way if you want to go for it then you could hand in straight away.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hello~

it can depend aswell on whether the place you are looking at to rent is vacant at the time or not.

last place i rented in australia, it was a good 4- 5weeks after i looked at it before i moved in.

find out whether you have the option to extend your time at the temp accomodation that you are booking at the caravan park. that might help.

good luck!