Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Cake Stall....coming soon to a workplace near you

The Cake Stall....coming soon to a workplace near you

Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Cake Stall....coming soon to a workplace near you

Right, having got my teeth into the cheese thread (groan), I am now going to introduce the new migrants to another strange Australian habit...The Cake Stall.......
This may not be familiar to everyone here actually, as it seems to take place in large workplaces, especially government ones.
Every so often a charity will pop up, raising money, and they do it by having A Cake Stall. I experienced my first one this week, in aid of the on-site chaplaincy (??) and it reminded me of a Mothers Union stall at a church fete......
The stall is manned by a couple of well-meaning people, who have produced an assortment of home-baked misshapen biscuits, flat tasteless sponge cakes (or the Aussie equivalent), strange cake things plastered on dessciated coconut, (yeuch), and odd fairy cake shapes with bits of apple stuck on top. Each item is displayed on a paper plate, covered in yards of clingfilm (and if you think UK clingfilm is bad, wait till you fight with the Aussie stuff) with a tiny price label stuck to it.

People in the workplace then receive a series of begging e-mails, exorting them tto come and spend money on vile tasteless cakes or feel guilty for the rest of their lives.
In my innocence I binned the e-mail, only to see everyone else rushing off to spend $$$$$ on bits of cake that would have been ashamed to show themselves at our church fetes.

Bring back Asda doughnuts! What would I give for our monthly Cream Cake Run! Am I destined to spend the rest of my life trying not to choke on bits of coconut and flattened sponge-cake......
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Cake Stall....coming soon to a workplace near you

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Right, having got my teeth into the cheese thread (groan), I am now going to introduce the new migrants to another strange Australian habit...The Cake Stall.......
This may not be familiar to everyone here actually, as it seems to take place in large workplaces, especially government ones.
Every so often a charity will pop up, raising money, and they do it by having A Cake Stall. I experienced my first one this week, in aid of the on-site chaplaincy (??) and it reminded me of a Mothers Union stall at a church fete......
The stall is manned by a couple of well-meaning people, who have produced an assortment of home-baked misshapen biscuits, flat tasteless sponge cakes (or the Aussie equivalent), strange cake things plastered on dessciated coconut, (yeuch), and odd fairy cake shapes with bits of apple stuck on top. Each item is displayed on a paper plate, covered in yards of clingfilm (and if you think UK clingfilm is bad, wait till you fight with the Aussie stuff) with a tiny price label stuck to it.

People in the workplace then receive a series of begging e-mails, exorting them tto come and spend money on vile tasteless cakes or feel guilty for the rest of their lives.
In my innocence I binned the e-mail, only to see everyone else rushing off to spend $$$$$ on bits of cake that would have been ashamed to show themselves at our church fetes.

Bring back Asda doughnuts! What would I give for our monthly Cream Cake Run! Am I destined to spend the rest of my life trying not to choke on bits of coconut and flattened sponge-cake......

Hmmmm....couldn't you 'develop' some sort of allergy to get you out of buying any?...if they don't do doughnut runs you're unlikely to be caught out!
Old Sep 17th 2004, 4:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

that coconut laminated plastered flat dough cake stuff....lammington (or some such name) is a tradition...and dare you knock it .

I finally gave in to my daughter and agreeded to sell her wares in my work....thank goodness the scouts where doing mega fredoos!

Pollyana you are only going through what most parents have to endure for years wherever they live. Here you do not have to have kids to endure the torture of self bake and sell.

Buy the cheapest bit you can, smile and bite....find nearest bin spit out coconut stuff and go back to work. You cannot give blood so at the very least you can support the local jam in a dead biscuit drive?

Old Sep 17th 2004, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

We got done at a cake stall last weekend and we are still in the UK! We ended up with some ginger biscuits of various shapes that our 3 yr old couldn't actually bite thruogh they were so hard. I thought he was kidding until I tied it myself and nearly endied up with a few less teeth - oh well all for a good cause

Aalstair