Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road
Default Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

So far, I know, Cairns is more Isolated and cheaper houses. What else? How does the weather compare?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Jessy69
So far, I know, Cairns is more Isolated and cheaper houses. What else? How does the weather compare?
More passing cyclones up Cairns way , nothing to worry about.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

Hi,
Ive lived in both, well not Cairns, Port Douglas which is an hour up the road from Cairns but used to travel there frequently. Its only my opinion but Cairns is a bit of a dump, Port Douglas is the nicest place Ive been to on earth. Now on the Sunshine coast and although Id love to live in Port Douglas, the weather is just too humid up there, you cant paddle in the sea for the box jellyfish for about 8 months..
So I would definitley opt for the Sunshine Coast. Its hot but lovely in the winter when its a bit cooler and you can always get in the sea.
Not sure about house prices in Cairns but I know Port Douglas is dear.
And thats my weather report
les
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sold.

Anyone heading to the Sunshine Coast I could cadge a lift with please ?

I won't pee on the floor
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road

I'm sold, Sunshine coast it is.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:04 pm
Bloke from Oz

fairbloodydinkum will become famous soon enoughfairbloodydinkum will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Cairns vs Sunshine Coast

can't really get a better spot than the sunshine coast of qld.....from caboolture..redcliffe..bribie island up to bundaberg has a bearable temperature....not far from the big city..but far enough...the ocean in front and the mountains behind....20 minutes each way....

queensland....beautiful one day perfect the next....even if its raining..
Old Jan 15th 2008, 10:42 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lenehan101
Hi,
Ive lived in both, well not Cairns, Port Douglas which is an hour up the road from Cairns but used to travel there frequently. Its only my opinion but Cairns is a bit of a dump, Port Douglas is the nicest place Ive been to on earth. Now on the Sunshine coast and although Id love to live in Port Douglas, the weather is just too humid up there, you cant paddle in the sea for the box jellyfish for about 8 months..
So I would definitley opt for the Sunshine Coast. Its hot but lovely in the winter when its a bit cooler and you can always get in the sea.
Not sure about house prices in Cairns but I know Port Douglas is dear.
And thats my weather report
les

have to agree , port douglas beautiful, didnt like cairns felt like it was even more behind the the rest of aus, and from someone who likes to shop brissy is much better
sunshine coast fills all our needs
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:58 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by want2bthere
have to agree , port douglas beautiful, didnt like cairns felt like it was even more behind the the rest of aus, and from someone who likes to shop brissy is much better
sunshine coast fills all our needs
From someone who lives in Cairns, i can't really understand how it can be described as a dump, the Esplanade is beautiful with loads of nice restaurants and bars, the marina, and swimming lagoon, the city has everything you need with shopping centres like Cairns central and so on, an international airport and university, but at the same time it is not too big so there are not the traffic problems that you have in the south east, and hoardes of people. You have the great barrier reef on your door step, Port Douglas and the rain forests to your north, the tablelands to your west, and mission beach to the south, not to mention all the northern beaches.

Apparantly Cairns is one of the fastest growing centres in queensland. House prices have gone up, but are not crazy, you could get a very nice four bedroomed two bathroomed new build with a good garden and pool for around $450K (in a nice area.)

Maybe it is a little behind, but thats what i like, its laid back, generally has a slower place, and i think the people are much friendlier (or at least a lot friendlier than i found people to be in Brisbane!)
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:20 am

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Oooh ohhhh i can answer this one!!!!

i have lived (albeit briefly!!!) at both!!!

did sunny coast 2006
went back to uk
now in cairns and loving it

ok ok i can elaborate!!

we didnt stay in sunshine coast (caloundra) for very long due to a very difficult pregnancy so went back to the uk.

after my beautiful girl was born we wanted to give oz another go so headed for cairns and we are so happy things worked out the way rthey did. cost a packet but we ended up in the best place on earth.

sunshine coast is just so beautiful and the beaches are just perfect. HOWEVER, it was just a bit quiet for us and we feel we would have outgrown it pretty quickly. any serious nightlife or shopping etc would mean a trip to brisbane. which, in all fairness, is only an hour/hour and half away but with a teenage daughter im buggered if i want to do that trip every saturday (at least!!)

we are now in cairns and it has the lot! i dont have the time to blab on about it but check out posts from bix/da boss - its all in there!!

cairns rocks my socks !!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:25 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackass
Oooh ohhhh i can answer this one!!!!

i have lived (albeit briefly!!!) at both!!!

did sunny coast 2006
went back to uk
now in cairns and loving it

ok ok i can elaborate!!

we didnt stay in sunshine coast (caloundra) for very long due to a very difficult pregnancy so went back to the uk.

after my beautiful girl was born we wanted to give oz another go so headed for cairns and we are so happy things worked out the way rthey did. cost a packet but we ended up in the best place on earth.

sunshine coast is just so beautiful and the beaches are just perfect. HOWEVER, it was just a bit quiet for us and we feel we would have outgrown it pretty quickly. any serious nightlife or shopping etc would mean a trip to brisbane. which, in all fairness, is only an hour/hour and half away but with a teenage daughter im buggered if i want to do that trip every saturday (at least!!)

we are now in cairns and it has the lot! i dont have the time to blab on about it but check out posts from bix/da boss - its all in there!!

cairns rocks my socks !!
Finally, someone here who talks some SENSE!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:34 am

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Baz
Finally, someone here who talks some SENSE!
YAY us *high 5*
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I would say the key issue for living in the North of Queensland would be, "how you go with the heat" Most Australians I know find it hard to live in such humidity and also how much rain do you want to see in the wet season?

If you are happy with 100% humidity then thats good. Both are beautiful the Sunshine Coast is more developed and developing quickly. The North is more laid back in Australian terms so coming from the UK they are practically horizontal.

I would travel to both in Jan/Feb and have a tour round. It's the best option to see for yourself.

Ps I can concur that Port Douglas is my favorite place on earth too. I have 4 times in 4 years
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessy69
I recently purchased an investment property in Trinty Beach, Cairns. I was very impressed with Cairns. It's booming and there is loads of things to see and do. It's not the best looking town in Australia but the surrounding area is lovely. I think it has a great future.
I do not like SE Queensland and think it is a dump although the Sunshine Coast is the best part of it.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 4:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but people are overlooking the streets of Cairns being covered in dog crap, the walls everywhere you go covered in graffitti, the stringent water restrictions, the daily main road traffic jams caused by meandering 15 metre crocodiles, the huge skyscrapers blocking natural light, the 300 plus restuarants and eateries where you can't get any food, the gangs of ferals that rape and pillage any passersby, the freezing cold winters that have you begging for New Zealand wool and central heating.
And as for Port Douglas, well, it must be the biggest dive in the Southern hemisphere.

Shite, what did I do wrong in life that brought me to this god forsaken place. I wouldn't wish it on a rat.

What time did I set the alarm for ?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:40 am

it's also a good idea wear a sun hat when youre out, otherwise you could go tropo - see above

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.