Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns Vs Brisbane Suburbs (Morton Bay area?)

Cairns Vs Brisbane Suburbs (Morton Bay area?)

Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Cool Cairns Vs Brisbane Suburbs (Morton Bay area?)

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice - just got back from Oz where we saw both Cairns and the Redcliffe Area but we only saw them in August (I believe Cairns gets very Sticky and hot for other half of year) We are hoping to move out summer 07 and wonder if anyone in these areas can say which is the best area for kids? We are have three kids 12, 10 months and one on the way!
Just thinking although Cairns is our choice at moment that the Kids wont settle due to the heat....
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns Vs Brisbane Suburbs (Morton Bay area?)

Originally Posted by Speargun
Wonder if anyone can offer any advice - just got back from Oz where we saw both Cairns and the Redcliffe Area but we only saw them in August (I believe Cairns gets very Sticky and hot for other half of year) We are hoping to move out summer 07 and wonder if anyone in these areas can say which is the best area for kids? We are have three kids 12, 10 months and one on the way!
Just thinking although Cairns is our choice at moment that the Kids wont settle due to the heat....
I grew up in Redcliffe (age 10-17), I could've done worse as far as places to grow up in are concerned. And Redcliffe has evolved a bit since then aswell.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Our littlies were 6 and 3 when we arrived. Our first and second summers here, we had no air con in our rental (we were building a house at the time) and no pool but we got through it pretty ok. Now we have air con and a pool - this will be our third summer, first with the goodies!!!
IMO, Cairns weather is great - yes the summer months can be sticky but no so bad that you want to pack up and go elsewhere. Our littlies have coped with the heat really well.
Good luck.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We also live in beautiful Cairns. We have also visited Brisbane a couple of times and been to some of the suburbs which were really nice and easy places to live I should imagine. We liked the areas we saw when visiting other expats who live there - and they love it.

There is so much for children to do here - although our sons are 18 and 20 we have friends with much younger children and they do many activities, always busy

The weather, well, the summer months can be quite hard to deal with but, especially for the first couple of years, even the locals find it difficult at times but, for best part of the year it is AWESOME - like now, just hot enough and not humid. Our friends children who are 6, 9 and 11 have adapted so well they dont take any notice of the hot steamy days! If you can deal with them, the rest of the year up in FNQ is absolultey brill as long as the rain or clyclones stay away - he he! But, Brissy area has its fair share of FREAK weather too - like giganic hail stones

I have said this before but, once you are in Australia, you will feel differently about moving around, loads of people move interstate re jobs and family all the time - it seems to be the done thing over here so, you can try out an area, if you dont like it, move somewhere else. Wherever you end up, you will have different opportunities and a different way of life anyway. Australia is such a BIG country another bonus is most places have really good weather best part of the year - you are lost for choice

Cairns - hardly ever gets below 22 deg c indoors and 16/18 deg c out
Brisbane - of course can get much cooler but warmer in winter than some other states in OZ.

The choice is yours. here in Cairns, you have to put up with the hot humid steamy weather for 3-4 months to have lovely weather for the rest of the year. (it does rain a bit inbetween of course)!

Wherever you decide on, hope it all works out for you guys

Take care

Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Thanks for youre replies, as we only had 3 weeks in total we didnt really get much time to look about to see where we would like to move to. it all looks so nice and as you say we are lost for choice.we have family in Cairns but Brisbane as cities go seems so pretty and lethal for shopping!!! family actually live in Port Douglas so we didnt get chance to see Cairns, well very briefly whilst driving down to mission beach which is also gorgeous. on last day before
heading to airport we had a look around some of morton bay area, we really liked it, looks like we will have to make a decision soon and stop doddering about. Anyway we're off to see Robbie live at Roundhay park Leeds on 9th sep
bet youre jealous ha! ha! not as jealous as we are of you guys!! we cant wait
to get away from the horrid winters the freezing fog and having to scrape a frozen car that when you actually manage to open door you darent touch the steering wheel incase your hand sticks to it and pulls your skin off!!!!
As long as we get in I dont suppose it really matters where we go and as you mentioned we can always move. its just the kids(oldest one) mainly for schools and getting him settled without having to move him to another area and im sure we will eventually cope with the heat Hey! its been 34 degrees in Uk you know! and it lasted for a whole 3 weeks!! luckily we were over there where it was a mean 28!!! as long as we have a pool kids and I will be fine. Sod the hubby. it would be nice to be within walking distance to a beach or a sea side type setting but near to shops etc (dont want much do I?) a long letter to santa i think. thanks again.

Take care

[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Your'e welcome

NO!!!! I'm not jealous as i'm gonna be seeing him in BRISBANE in December - so there

Have fun - sure he'll be brilliant

Yes I know abt the UK summer this year as still have all our families over there - what a treat eh!

Talking of pools - i'm gonna go and have a swim in ours now - bye bye

Gill