Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns v Brisbane

Cairns v Brisbane

Old Jan 27th 2007, 7:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns v Brisbane

Originally Posted by MD09
Do you have any cons to living in cairns, other than the humidity in summer?
gets a bit windy at times
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Do you have any cons to living in cairns, other than the humidity in summer?
Been thinking about this over the last couple of hours and for me there are none that readily come to mind.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:13 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Been thinking about this over the last couple of hours and for me there are none that readily come to mind.
Apart from meeting up with Soapy me & Sasha for a drink later in the year.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

PJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Cairns v Brisbane

Yep! Move north and have the lifestyle!

What about Townsville? Its bigger than Cairns, is projected to keep growing at 3% a year and is virtually recession proof. This is because there is an army base here (which is expanding, meaning that house prices will rise again - yippee!), a university, several State government offices, is a fly in fly out centre for the mines (which are booming) etc etc, whereas Cairns economy is, I am assured by an economist friend, tourism based and is affected by downturns in the tourist trade ( as happened after 9/11). Townsville is booming right now and this, apprently, will continue. Shedloads of development, so lots of new houses being built. In fact to cope with the boom Townsville needs to build 10,000 houses over the next few years. For the price of my semi in an anonymous Northern town in the UK, I got a house with four beds and a study and two bath/shower rooms, not to mention the 30ft by 15ft pool in the back garden and the 30 palm trees! All located in a nice leafy street 10 mins from the CBD!

Add to that flights from Townsville to Brissy and Sydney via Virgin Blue, being located 4 hours [easy] drive from Cairns, close to Mission Beach, Hinchinbrook Island, have our own reef island just a 20 min ferry ride in the bay... I could go on..and on..and on.

Check out:
http://www.townsvilleonline.com.au/?...tegory=Tourism
and http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...ille/index.cfm

Its stunning here and much nicer than Cairns!

Happy? I'll say!

PJMB
Old Jan 27th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sla453
Hi all,

Looking at Cairns as a possible alternative to the ever popular Brisbane.

Anybody on here live in Cairns, or looking at moving there? If so, what do you reckon to the place? Would you recommend it for taking a family (schools, shops etc).

Up to now, I know its hot and humid!!

Ta..
Never been there but heard if you have a pool in your garden chances are you may find a croc in there during the aussie summer. Apparently the beaches are a no go zone in winter cos you have an abundance of crocs creating other crocs?! Just what I have heard?????!!!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:23 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Never been there but heard if you have a pool in your garden chances are you may find a croc in there during the aussie summer. Apparently the beaches are a no go zone in winter cos you have an abundance of crocs creating other crocs?! Just what I have heard?????!!!
What you have heard is correct but you forgot to mention the gnomes that ride them
Old Jan 27th 2007, 10:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Simple sentence but tremendously flawed.

Army base ? Gee that's good news then. "Unfortunately" we don't have one of those

Yippee, house prices rising. Not exactly condusive to new arrivals trying to set up home for the first time.

Flights ? Domestic airport only. We have International too.

University ? A campus of the main Cairns JCU I believe.

Reef Islands ? Yes we have those in plural but much more besides.

9/11 downturn ? Yes, daily events like this do affect the world.

People treck from Townsville to Cairns on a daily basis for sightseeing and shopping expeditions. They find Cairns stunning because you forgot to mention TV's nickname is Brownsville because it's so arid and dusty. Cairns is beautifully lush green all year round.

Bigger ? Yes it is. Does it make it better though ?

I could go on and on........

But you are not comparing like to like.
TV is a bland worker city.......Cairns is a cosmopolitan centre.

I have nothing against TV and could probably live there with no difficulty but if you want to take a cheap shot base it on facts that mean something.

Last edited by Bix; Jan 27th 2007 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PJMB
ROFL

A Cairns radio station gives away travel sickness pills with free Townsville Cowboy tickets. That's for all the curves on the road trip back. Something to do with coming up out of the ground, apparently.

Colleagues (unbiased immigrants) at work have lived in both places and they prefer Cairns by a long shot.

AS for growth, have a read of this http://www.lgp.qld.gov.au/?id=2733.

WW
Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:16 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Hmm I don't see having a shedload of AJ's around as a positive.

I'd prefer the Japanese tourists and crocs.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 12:43 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
...Simple sentence but tremendously flawed...
Have to agree... We drove Sydney - Cape Tribulation and back last August/September... Stayed 2 days in Townsville and it was enough... Stayed 10 days in Port Douglas and Cairns and loved it... All IMHO of course...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

PJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the roughPJMB is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Cairns v Brisbane

My my Bix aren't we touchy.

You will note I didn't slag off Cairns, just said I thought TV was nicer and stated FACTs about Cairns economy. I made this post simply because a lot of people outside Aus have only ever heard of Brisbane and Cairns as cities in Queensland. I promoted my city in a positive way rather than tearing down some else's.

The tone of your post is out of order and over the top - presumably you don't like people having a different opinion.You will note that I, however, provided website addresses so that people could make up their own minds.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sla453
Hi all,

Looking at Cairns as a possible alternative to the ever popular Brisbane.

Anybody on here live in Cairns, or looking at moving there? If so, what do you reckon to the place? Would you recommend it for taking a family (schools, shops etc).

Up to now, I know its hot and humid!!

Ta..
Its lovely here - we have been here 4 weeks now both got jobs really easily the housing is good
PM me if I can be of any help
Angela
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by PJMB
My my Bix aren't we touchy.

You will note I didn't slag off Cairns, just said I thought TV was nicer and stated FACTs about Cairns economy. I made this post simply because a lot of people outside Aus have only ever heard of Brisbane and Cairns as cities in Queensland. I promoted my city in a positive way rather than tearing down some else's.

The tone of your post is out of order and over the top - presumably you don't like people having a different opinion.You will note that I, however, provided website addresses so that people could make up their own minds.

"It's stunning here and much nicer than Cairns" those are your words not mine yet you claim not to have tried to deride Cairns. What you inferred is that TV is so superior which is definitely not the case. It was a cheap shot and so I reacted with cheap shots in response. Guilty as charge m'lud.

I don't get touchy on here very often but I make exceptions when "experts" comment on places they have not lived in. It is why I replied to this thread "It would not be right for me to comment on Brisbane as I have only visited it and not lived there".

But your selective reading probably missed that along with the fact I put up links to other threads with masses of information in them so people could make up their own minds.

What FACTS about the Cairns economy ? I only saw a comment about what an economist friend said. Perhaps they got it from one of their own economist friends. They are two a penny in any walk of life. Yes the economy is very holiday oriented here but that's not a state secret.
It's also a fly in fly out centre for the mines. So what ?

I would have thought your post was fair enough if it had just extolled the virtues of TV and stopped there.
But you may like to note that most people won't see an enlarging army base, spiralling house prices and the fact "it's bigger" as necessarily good things.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:49 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

I've heard that Brownsville is the most racist place in oz. I can imagine alot of closed-minded people living there.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Well Bix, tell you what - let people make up their own mind. I included website addresses for people to do their own research so that they could do so.

And I didn't purport to be an "expert". As I said I am simply being positive about Townsville and providing my views on it. And no I don't like Cairns and wouldn't live there, as you probably wouldn't want to live in Townsville - thats fine.I am not going to reply point by point to your post as its just not worth it.

The "economist friend" has a very good reputation reputation in federal and state government circles , by the way. They didn't get their facts from someone else - they do their own research. Please don't slag them off as well.

And I would think that looking at how reasonable the posts are will inform people out there in "new migrant land" of how nice their neighbours and workmates, in whatever town they are researching, are likely to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.