Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns Utility costs

Cairns Utility costs

Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:20 am
Just Joined

PerthDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cairns Utility costs

I'm relocating to Cairns and trying to estimate what my monthly utility costs are likely to be. Assuming I live in a modern 3 bedroom airconditioned apartment or townhouse and consume a typical amount of power for two people, what might a typical month's expenses be?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cairns Utility costs

Electricity probably about $100 per month. but if you are high users of aircon you can double that.

We pay atm about $170 per month in winter with only the normal things running and not aircon, but there are 2 adults and 4 children.
Our 1st bill which was only Jan/Feb when we arrived was $800 soon learned to cut back.

Last edited by rocket01; Oct 9th 2009 at 6:06 am.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

PerthDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Ouch! I suppose with costs like that you would learn to cut back quickly. Thanks very much for helpful reply
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PerthDave
Ouch! I suppose with costs like that you would learn to cut back quickly. Thanks very much for helpful reply
In the wet season, close up unused rooms (loo, bath, etc) and run a few air cons to reduce the temp in the house. Running AC in every room at the same time co$t$. Adapt.

I know of some locals who bragged about loving summers as it was the only time of the year they could crank up the AC to snuggle up under a duvet.

The good news is the high cost in summer is balanced across the year when you dont have to heat the house in winter.

WW
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:19 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Air conditioning? wassat? We only have aircon in one bedroom, so we just suffer ... but not in silence, never in silence That's the trouble with marrying a local - they won't admit it's hot! But at least now we have aircon in the car - I think our fuel bill is going to rise as I might spend the better part of the summer driving around to stay cool!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Family of 4 adults in an above average size 4 bedroom house.
Our bills for 12 months:

Electricity $2340
$2044 tariff 11 the general usage rate.
$193 tariff 35 which is overnight water heating.
$103 ambulance cover.
Yep, it's hefty.
In most cases aircon is the biggest culprit for chewing up the kilowatts and I'm sure it will be for us too but we also use a lot of electrical equipment.
Ambulance cover is not collected with electricity bills in all states.

Water Usage $228
Metered usage.

Council Rates $1966

$768 general residential group A
$193 water access
$495 sewerage
$87 clean seas project
$274 refuse collection
$149 state fire levy
Have detailed it so you can compare with how WA structure their rates.
The general rate is likely to apply to you as it covers any single dwelling on an unimproved plot valued up to $490k.
That means a council valuation of the land as if it were in a virgin state.
Note that if there are any special developments in a suburb you live the cost of it is borne by that suburb as a rates surcharge and not the whole of Cairns. That is irrespective of whether you personally want or benefit from the development.

For example about 4 years ago some of the beaches were hit by erosion and the beach suburb rates were doubled to pay for the maintenace and rectification. Same is happening at Holloways right now. The residents there will be paying for all the work.