Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns trip advice...what are some good tours?

Cairns trip advice...what are some good tours?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:06 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cairns trip advice...what are some good tours?

I'm planning a trip up to Cairns in the middle of February. Can anyone recommend some good tours? We've got two days for tours and one would have to be going out to the Great Barrier Reef.

I was actually there a month ago and did a tour with Reef Magic and had a pretty good time. I don't care which company we go with but it would be nice to have a decent ride there and a nice platform when we arrive. A good reef site with lots of fish would be great too!

I'm stumped on the second tour though. We did the Kuranda/Skyrail last time so we'd like to do something different. Any ideas?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns trip advice...what are some good tours?

There's a few ideas on here
http://www.cairnsattractions.com/
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Several ideas on here too

http://www.cairnsinfo.com/tour_index.asp
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

And a load here

http://cityofcairns.com/cairnsaccomm...rns_tours.html
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:54 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that, I had a quick look and they're really good sites. Hopefully I find what I'm looking for.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:10 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Green Island for the day and that was awesome, we also took a dawn balloon ride which was a real highlight of our time in Cairns last year!

If you have time try and go on a longer boat trip out to the reef, the snorkelling was brilliant... so a day trip if it's not stinger season would be ace too!

Ali x
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Have you done the Quiksiler snorkelling? http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/ We've done the outer reef 3times (there's a huge platform there and food, glass bottom boat etc) and the low isles last time (you get dropped of on the island and can snorkel from the beach and do a walk round the island with a guide) Really good!

Port Douglas is a nice place, I got married there! Its beautiful. The above cruise picks up in cairns then port D so you could fit in a look at Port D on the way/way back?

Its worth visiting Cape Tribulation and the Daintree - we did a great tour, can't remember who with, but there was a bbq in the rainforest, kayaking on a little river, loads of wildlife there, and cape Trib is stunning.

Thrill-seeking? Do a Skydive with Skydive Cairns, it was incredible! A tour of sorts, you get a great view of Cairns!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:35 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We went on the Quicksilver one and it was fantastic - we're heading up there again in July and may go on the same trip as I'm taking my mum and nephew - anyone think other companies are better?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:30 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Thanks guys,

We did the Reef Magic tour last time so I was interested in trying a different one this time. I was actually thinking Quicksilver looked good so I'll give that a try.

When the were at the pier the Quicksilver boat looked great and our Reef Magic one was much smalled. I'm embarassed to admit that I got sea sick on the way out, so I'm hoping so medication and a bigger boat will help this time!

This time I'm bringing along my mom and a friend along. I was also thinking of the Cape Tribulation and Daintree. I'll check those out a bit further. Is it a day trip, and what do you see on the tour?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:32 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

We had a weeks holiday in Cairns this August and had a great time.

Of course we did the obligatory reef trip and the Kuranda jaunt, but one of the most enjoyable places we visited was "Hartleys Crocodile Farm".

http://www.crocodileadventures.com/intro.htm

the kids loved it and it was informative and interesting (not just crocs either). I actually think it was a better place to see crocs than Australia zoo down on Sunshine Coast - or up on the Batchelor river in Kakadu NT (both "classic" crocodile tourist experiences)...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Cape Trib and Daintree - it was a day trip and it was a small group, great guide and really enjoyable day. We did a little canoeing on a little stretch of water where we had the bbq and there were maybe hundreds of little turtles in the water! They were divine! I can't remember the full details but there were animals and info etc at Cape Trib, and it is just stunning.

There is a Rainforest Habitat near Port Douglas - its fantastic, you see all sorts of animals roaming about and can buy feef for the wallaby etc - we have so many photos from there, we've been 2 or 3 times. There is a cafe there etc. Its quite a big place.

Australia Zoo is awsome, but perhaps too far to visit from Cairns?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:48 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

We flew to Lizard Island for the day, snorkelled, walkaround on nature trails, sunbathed, etc. Swimming with turtles, etc so could be an alternative to the reef, plus you also see everything north of Cairns for next time and future trips.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm planning a trip up to Cairns in the middle of February. Can anyone recommend some good tours? We've got two days for tours and one would have to be going out to the Great Barrier Reef.

I was actually there a month ago and did a tour with Reef Magic and had a pretty good time. I don't care which company we go with but it would be nice to have a decent ride there and a nice platform when we arrive. A good reef site with lots of fish would be great too!

I'm stumped on the second tour though. We did the Kuranda/Skyrail last time so we'd like to do something different. Any ideas?

For a 1/2 day...Cairns Zoo is good.

Not actually in Cairns itself, but a short drive away
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:09 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008

Australia Zoo is awsome, but perhaps too far to visit from Cairns?
Yes, Australia Zoo might be a bit too far! We actually have seasons passes there and we'll be going with my visitors when they're here. So they'll get to see that too.

So I think the Cairns zoo is out, although I'm sure it's really nice. But I'd rather do a day trip since we'll be visiting Australia Zoo during when we get back to Brisbane.

But, I'm definitely interested in the Cape T and Daintree tour. I'll check that out further.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:19 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Uncle Brian's Rainforest Tour is legendary in the backpacker scene - though he's happy to take anyone. He does a couple of tours around the Daintree, departing from Cairns. I was on one a few years ago. As far as I know he's still going. He's a real character - highly recommended.

big.

Last edited by Big Galah; Jan 18th 2008 at 1:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.