Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns: Southern Cross Apartments or Il Centro?

Cairns: Southern Cross Apartments or Il Centro?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future
Default Cairns: Southern Cross Apartments or Il Centro?

Hi.

Im hoping to stay in one of the above for about 11 days on my arrival. Has anyone stayed at them recently or know of any good/bad stories that may sway my decision?

I've looked on trip advisor for reviews but there are very few for 2008 (about 3) and 2007-2006 reviews seem worrying - saying dirt and grease in Centro. I don't think they can be that bad otherwise new employer wouldnt have suggested them.

Also, they are both listed as 4*. Is this rating comparable to the UK ratings?

Thanks. (p.s. -as ive never been to oz or cairns i dont know what the typical standard is).
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns: Southern Cross Apartments or Il Centro?

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Hi.

Im hoping to stay in one of the above for about 11 days on my arrival. Has anyone stayed at them recently or know of any good/bad stories that may sway my decision?

I've looked on trip advisor for reviews but there are very few for 2008 (about 3) and 2007-2006 reviews seem worrying - saying dirt and grease in Centro. I don't think they can be that bad otherwise new employer wouldnt have suggested them.

Also, they are both listed as 4*. Is this rating comparable to the UK ratings?

Thanks. (p.s. -as ive never been to oz or cairns i dont know what the typical standard is).
Hi there never been to any of these but we have just spent a week in this hotel in Cairns over Christmas http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reser...nds_Cairns.htm

Nice and clean staff in general very polite and helpful .You probably could do a lot worse
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:15 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

we stayed at southern cross for a week with the children. All nice, clean, well equipped, everything was new. Pool was good for my kids (age 2 and 4) plus a bit older and ok for a dip for adults. Bit small so no lap swimming! Some rooms werent great if you were disabled

Quite near town, about a 10 minute walk to centre which is ok, we walked back and fore with kids and I am not one for long hikes unless I am in a national park.

plenty of car parking, value for money

booked it on rates to go, we woudl use it again - my husband works in cairns a lot so have tried most. I cant remember staying at Centro but the name is familiar so maybe we have.

Good luck
Vivienne
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Thanks. I've opted for Southern Cross and have let new employer know. If its really bad i'll be sure to update this thread!!