Wikiposts

Cairns so far!

Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Cairns so far!

Just a quick message as we are on limited internet access at the moment.

Been in Cairns for nearly a couple of weeks and we are currently staying in a 2 bed apartment until 6th Sept. This week we have brought a cheap car to run around and we have secured a rental at Bentley Park. The house is lovely backing on to rain forrest. Have been to see the local school which seems great. Word of warning, there is a shortage of rental properties so no pool for us at the moment, which I told my husband was a must before we came out here. However, we are pleased with the house, nearly new 4 bed for $270 a week, double garage. We did see some really crap ones though, that I would not put an animal in!

Ian starts work on Monday and is looking forward to it, while I will still be a lady of leisure for a while yet! We picked up the road learners handbook today so we will be swotting for the test soon. Cairns weather is lovely, we went on the Kuranda railway yesterday and the skyrail and it was lovely, but a bit of a white knuckle ride for me.

We have settled in well, no real homesickness yet but I missed my dogs yesterday when we talking about them.

I will write again to give a better idea of our new life, but for now, life is cool!

Mandy
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns so far!

Originally Posted by scrawni

Been in Cairns for nearly a couple of weeks and we are currently staying in a 2 bed apartment until 6th Sept. This week we have brought a cheap car to run around and we have secured a rental at Bentley Park. The house is lovely backing on to rain forrest. Have been to see the local school which seems great. Word of warning, there is a shortage of rental properties so no pool for us at the moment, which I told my husband was a must before we came out here. However, we are pleased with the house, nearly new 4 bed for $270 a week, double garage. We did see some really crap ones though, that I would not put an animal in!

Ian starts work on Monday and is looking forward to it, while I will still be a lady of leisure for a while yet! We picked up the road learners handbook today so we will be swotting for the test soon. Cairns weather is lovely, we went on the Kuranda railway yesterday and the skyrail and it was lovely, but a bit of a white knuckle ride for me.

We have settled in well, no real homesickness yet but I missed my dogs yesterday when we talking about them.

I will write again to give a better idea of our new life, but for now, life is cool!

Mandy
Glad to haer you are settling in well, mandy.

Keep us posted, only 3 wks 'til we're there!!!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scrawni

Mandy
Hi Mandy,
Good to hear you are settling in well. I wasn't working today and spent a few hours making the most of the sunshine in our back garden, which was lovely!
All the best,
JO
Old Aug 12th 2004, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Enjoyed reading your post Mandy Nice to hear from you.

Good luck to Ian for Monday. Make the most of your 'lady of leisure' time

Take care look forward to reading more from you
Old Aug 12th 2004, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Hi again, now sitting in an internet cafe near the esplanades and listening to some band in the background. We have settled really well as a family our son of 10 has only occasionally mentioned home but I think he misses his playstation!

It seems a bit like fate at the moment as we have booked into the apartments until the 16th September, then we were told we can move into the new house on the 6th and then when we got home there was an email from the shippers saying that our stuff should reach us, yes you guessed it, the 6th! How's that?

First impressions of Cairns from the plane - beautiful - first impressions of Cairns from the ground, quite small, spread out, in need of some modernisation. Saying that, after a proper look I quickly found that is was quirky and different. There are some good modern shopping malls as well as the tourist shops. The lagoon is lovely and the kids loved it, they have lockers there for your stuff too!

I have brought the local newspaper nearly everyday and some of it is quite shocking, especially coming from such a small town. There does seem to be quite a few jobs around. On Sundays you can go to a car market where people who want to sell their cars take them and you have a look around (in Woree on the Bruce Highway). This is where we brought our car, it was from another state it has to have a road worthy test about $53 and then we have to register it for $700ish. Over the weekend you can go to a big market that sells all kind of fresh fruit and veg quite cheap. To use an internet cafe it will cost you about $3.00per hour. You can also by a phone card to phone the uk for $10 which will allow you about 280 minutes of calls.

Anyway that's all for now, I will keep u all updated.

Mandy
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Really glad you have settled in. We have friends in Cairns and have heard more about the place from you on this thread than from them in four years. Hope the Playstation arrives in perfect nick. Good timing - you couldn't plan it
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Whats happening with the house prices now?, still going through the roof?

Lee: Hows the house in Kewarra?, I bet your having a great time!.

Weve decided to move initially into Melbourne as I have family there and it seems property is cheaper! (on the outer suburbs compared to Cairns generally). I want to buy a modest place mortgage free so I can re-train as an electrician or something like that.

Good luck to you all moving into Cairns, if money was no object that's where I'd rather be!. May move up once I'm qualified.

bye for now,
65KK
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:42 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Cairns so far!

The Woolshed used to be pretty good for VFM plate of excellent grub if you're in town.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:39 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mandy,

Sorry you haven't got your pool - yet.
Won't be long to wait for the monsoons though :scared:

We know some people in Bently Park and they say it's one of the "in" developments at the moment. It certainly looks good.

Hope it continues positive
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi Mandy,

Sorry you haven't got your pool - yet.
Won't be long to wait for the monsoons though :scared:

We know some people in Bently Park and they say it's one of the "in" developments at the moment. It certainly looks good.

Hope it continues positive
Yes, prices are still on the up in Cairns. Even the builders have increased the cost of building a house by 30%. Due to the fact of the large profits to be had by developers.

If you are looking for the in place try this:-

http://www.domain.com.au/real_estate...r+Trinity+Park

Bluewaters up at the beaches.

Which is typical of any where on the Northern Beaches!!

The agents tells us that southeners buy property over the phone.

Cheers

Lee

Last edited by leejo; Aug 13th 2004 at 9:44 am.