Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns - Rockhampton - Help Needed for My Sister

Cairns - Rockhampton - Help Needed for My Sister

Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cairns - Rockhampton - Help Needed for My Sister

Anyone here living in Rockhampton, QLD???

My sister emigrated on 2nd July with the hope that she could find a sponsor - (she's a Bursar) but there is no work around as its the wrong time of year in the financial sector for people to be moving jobs and therefore she is thinking that she'll have to return to the UK

The reason for my post is because she is feeling soooooo low and it would be great if there is anyone on here who could email her and lift her spirits and keep her focused.

One of her main problems, other than work, is that her kids (17yrs boy and 12yrs girl) are getting on her nerves as they are so bored as they don't know anyone and Pippa cannot get Rebecca into school until she gets herself a job *sigh*

Thanks for reading and I'd be so grateful to hear from anyone who can help in any way.

Kind regards
Karen
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:32 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns - Rockhampton - Help Needed for My Sister

Hi Karen.

I've just searched one of the internet job sites for "bursar" in categories education and accounts for the whole of Queensland and nothing comes up.
Is it perhaps called something else in Aus ?

What qualifications does she have ? Is it an accounts type thing ?

Also why did you mention Cairns ?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Bix]Hi Karen.

I've just searched one of the internet job sites for "bursar" in categories education and accounts for the whole of Queensland and nothing comes up.
Is it perhaps called something else in Aus ?

What qualifications does she have ? Is it an accounts type thing ?

QUOTE]

Hi Bix

Thanks for replying.

I'm not sure what 'bursar' is called in Aus, its an accountancy type job in schools/colleges/etc. I'm not sure exactly what qualifications she has but she's just done a Diploma in some sort of school management and also a diploma in human resources.

Doh! Sorry about the 'Cairns' title, I was in a rush when I posted and put the wrong thing, meant to have put QLD!!!

Karen
Old Aug 16th 2006, 2:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When she say she emigrated to try and find a sponsor, what visa is she on now?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When she say she emigrated to try and find a sponsor, what visa is she on now?
Hi Pollyanna,

She must be just on a visitors visa but I'm not entirely sure

Karen
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:34 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Hi Pollyanna,

She must be just on a visitors visa but I'm not entirely sure

Karen

I thought you were not allowed to look for work if on a visitors visa????
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:59 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I thought you were not allowed to look for work if on a visitors visa????
Don't think DIMA would be impressed if they found out.
Its a bit concerning that she has "emigrated" - with 2 kids - in the hope of finding a sponsor. If she has seriously left the UK and moved here on spec, with them dependent on her, then what on earth is she planning to do if Plan A doesn't work! And its not a question of just putting the kids in school when she gets a job, as most of us know - on a tourist vsai she's going to have quite a few problems.
Lets hope we are barking up the wrong tree and just dont have the full story.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't think DIMA would be impressed if they found out.
Its a bit concerning that she has "emigrated" - with 2 kids - in the hope of finding a sponsor. If she has seriously left the UK and moved here on spec, with them dependent on her, then what on earth is she planning to do if Plan A doesn't work! And its not a question of just putting the kids in school when she gets a job, as most of us know - on a tourist vsai she's going to have quite a few problems.
Lets hope we are barking up the wrong tree and just dont have the full story.
I totally have to agree, in principle, especially as hubby and I are going the 'right' way about emigrating and its taken over a year so far! However, there is a lot more to the situation.

She is living with her ex-husband (they are making another go of their relationship) who is almost a year through a 2 year sponsorship - Rebecca can go to school from September under his visa but my sister's return tickets will have expired by then and of course the new school year here in the UK would have already started so if she doesn't find work and loses her chance to return on those original tickets then its more hassle with getting her daughter a place in a school back here etc etc.

I just don't want her to lose this chance of staying in Oz as we are so close to getting out there ourselves
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
I totally have to agree, in principle, especially as hubby and I are going the 'right' way about emigrating and its taken over a year so far! However, there is a lot more to the situation.

She is living with her ex-husband (they are making another go of their relationship) who is almost a year through a 2 year sponsorship - Rebecca can go to school from September under his visa but my sister's return tickets will have expired by then and of course the new school year here in the UK would have already started so if she doesn't find work and loses her chance to return on those original tickets then its more hassle with getting her daughter a place in a school back here etc etc.

I just don't want her to lose this chance of staying in Oz as we are so close to getting out there ourselves
Blimey, it was more complicated than first thought!
Hope she's successful.....