Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns people - help please!

Cairns people - help please!

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 7:29 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cairns people - help please!

I've woken up this morning to a potential job offer in Cairns as a nurse.
It is somewhere that appeals, I have no worries with the climate etc.

My question is about employment. OH is a gas fitter. He would be prepared to go to Tafe to update quals if necessary, but does anyone know if work would be easy to come by? I know Cairns is economically depressed at the moment and has a high unemployment rate.
He would be willing to turn his hand to most things short term to bring in money.

Thanks in advance for any advice - we need to make a decision fairly quickly
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns people - help please!

Originally Posted by Kapri

My question is about employment. OH is a gas fitter. He would be prepared to go to Tafe to update quals if necessary, but does anyone know if work would be easy to come by? I know Cairns is economically depressed at the moment and has a high unemployment rate.
He would be willing to turn his hand to most things short term to bring in money.

Try asking Sally if she's on your FB.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:02 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Try asking Sally if she's on your FB.
Hi Dorothy, yes she is and I've sent a message. Hoping to get a range of replies especially from tradies
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:52 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dorothy, yes she is and I've sent a message. Hoping to get a range of replies especially from tradies
You can't leave without me,after all we've been through together
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You could always follow her
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:33 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You could always follow her
Ssssccchhhh he husband might hear
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:57 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Don't worry, I'm not leaving you behind - I've booked you a seat with the dog
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:58 pm
Happy migrant

I'm thinking Cairns might not be ideal anyway. I'm worried about the lack of jobs
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, I'm not leaving you behind - I've booked you a seat with the dog

I'm thinking Cairns might not be ideal anyway. I'm worried about the lack of jobs
Well, Cairns has been hit by the regional impact of newman's axe, and I don't think the job situation was good there before. Bix is another one up there with lots of knowledge workwise, took him a while to get a new job I seem to remember How long could you go on the one income? And what visa? If its a 457 you're a bit more tied but if you can get ENS or go for skilled independent as soon as you get here then that gives you more freedom to move. QHealth are reluctant to sponsor at present but there are jobs in some fields once you get here.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:25 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

aaaarrrggggg Kathy just follow your original plan. You can get work anywhere as a nurse it's jobs for hubs you need to concentrate on!!!

BB
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:11 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
aaaarrrggggg Kathy just follow your original plan. You can get work anywhere as a nurse it's jobs for hubs you need to concentrate on!!!

BB
Yes, we've definitely come to that conclusion
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:03 am
Just Joined

parmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really nice

Im an ex pat been living in Cairns nearly 6 years now. He will and can get work here, but maybe not immediately. But it will happen if you want it. Decent trade people like that are hard to find!
Cairns is in the doldrums as far as work goes thats because its a HOLIDAY place. Tourism is down big time since Financial crisis and thing is, it WILL recover here. Its actually the best time to move here as so cheap to buy! Rent first of course :-) As an area to live its gods country. It is stunning. I dont just mean Cairns, i mean the area. A 2 hour drive north along the coast takes you to the Daintree, the oldest rainforest in the world. The tablelands is an area that has rolling hills... :-) Get the first wet season under your belt and you will acclimatise. Jan to April the most hot/humid/wet. But.... tropical warm rain is kind of refreshing... :-) I love the green here. And the hills/mountains that run along down behind Cairns (like a stunning backdrop) You in your profession will be secure as here. Big demand. Your OH i am positive would get work pretty quickly. But...... allow time period to get it just in case. (maybe 6 months? although may easily be way less) Maybe research companies here. Elgas, Airliquide to name just two off my head (many others inc' small independent contractors etc. Make contact with them. And bear in mind a refusal one day dosent mean same outfit wouldnt take in in say 3/4 months time. Think of the big picture (not easy i know as we did it tough when we came up from Adelaide after 6 months down there after the U.K move. We moved here just before the world finance crash :-( lost job, no work for nearly a year almost lost house but..... we stuck it out and still here, in the house :-) And believe me, way more jobs here now than then. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:07 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by parmenion
Im an ex pat been living in Cairns nearly 6 years now. He will and can get work here, but maybe not immediately. But it will happen if you want it. Decent trade people like that are hard to find!
Cairns is in the doldrums as far as work goes thats because its a HOLIDAY place. Tourism is down big time since Financial crisis and thing is, it WILL recover here. Its actually the best time to move here as so cheap to buy! Rent first of course :-) As an area to live its gods country. It is stunning. I dont just mean Cairns, i mean the area. A 2 hour drive north along the coast takes you to the Daintree, the oldest rainforest in the world. The tablelands is an area that has rolling hills... :-) Get the first wet season under your belt and you will acclimatise. Jan to April the most hot/humid/wet. But.... tropical warm rain is kind of refreshing... :-) I love the green here. And the hills/mountains that run along down behind Cairns (like a stunning backdrop) You in your profession will be secure as here. Big demand. Your OH i am positive would get work pretty quickly. But...... allow time period to get it just in case. (maybe 6 months? although may easily be way less) Maybe research companies here. Elgas, Airliquide to name just two off my head (many others inc' small independent contractors etc. Make contact with them. And bear in mind a refusal one day dosent mean same outfit wouldnt take in in say 3/4 months time. Think of the big picture (not easy i know as we did it tough when we came up from Adelaide after 6 months down there after the U.K move. We moved here just before the world finance crash :-( lost job, no work for nearly a year almost lost house but..... we stuck it out and still here, in the house :-) And believe me, way more jobs here now than then. Good luck on whatever you decide.
That's a great post, thank you
Old Oct 12th 2012, 5:52 am
Just Joined

parmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really niceparmenion is just really nice

That's a great post, thank you
No Problem. Dont be afraid to ask any questions. I will do my best to answer them! :-)
Areas to live and so on. Personally, i live on the northern beaches and its fab up here. A few south of Cairns places to avoid living but some nice areas too though. The actual CBD is really nice but i wouldn't live in/around there. Mainly because its bit more expensive but it is holiday place. Cairns Base Hospital you got the offer? Or the Private one? either way they are very close together and easy to get to. Near the sea front although not too pretty when tide is out! Mud you see....
The esplanade is fantastic and truly is a wonder in the night as well as the day. So relaxing and so good for the soul. People complain of traffic here but trust me, its NOT bad. Nowhere near bad. Its easy and there are free parking areas. Even in/around the CBD though they are diminishing a little. But parking is not expensive anyway. :-) Getting back to the hospitals... they are north of the CBD (towards to airport and northern beaches) and i would say if you faced inland and went that direction for a handful of K's Redlynch Valley Estate is just beautiful living. Rolling rainforest hills. New estate it is but its great! I live in Kewarra Beach. A northern Beach suburb. I love it here but kinda wished i went to Redlynch Valley. Both are pretty good locations for you to commute to work etc. Same for your O.H irrespective of where he would be based for work etc.
Airport is easy to get to and so close! (international & Domestic)
Talking of beaches, avoid renting/buying in Holloways Beach, Machans Beach and possibly Yorkeys as some planes their flightpath comes in over there and when we came, we looked around Holloways Beach and i thought..... nah, not here thank you! (Holloways is the worst one) Besides, Beaches from Trinity Beach upwards are by far and away the best.
No planes i hear from Kewarra :-) Or Trinity when we lived there :-)
I guess it boils down to what you guys want. What you guys like and seek and enjoy etc.
Let me know if i can help.
Cheers. Mark
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by parmenion
No Problem. Dont be afraid to ask any questions. I will do my best to answer them! :-)
Areas to live and so on. Personally, i live on the northern beaches and its fab up here. A few south of Cairns places to avoid living but some nice areas too though. The actual CBD is really nice but i wouldn't live in/around there. Mainly because its bit more expensive but it is holiday place. Cairns Base Hospital you got the offer? Or the Private one? either way they are very close together and easy to get to. Near the sea front although not too pretty when tide is out! Mud you see....
The esplanade is fantastic and truly is a wonder in the night as well as the day. So relaxing and so good for the soul. People complain of traffic here but trust me, its NOT bad. Nowhere near bad. Its easy and there are free parking areas. Even in/around the CBD though they are diminishing a little. But parking is not expensive anyway. :-) Getting back to the hospitals... they are north of the CBD (towards to airport and northern beaches) and i would say if you faced inland and went that direction for a handful of K's Redlynch Valley Estate is just beautiful living. Rolling rainforest hills. New estate it is but its great! I live in Kewarra Beach. A northern Beach suburb. I love it here but kinda wished i went to Redlynch Valley. Both are pretty good locations for you to commute to work etc. Same for your O.H irrespective of where he would be based for work etc.
Airport is easy to get to and so close! (international & Domestic)
Talking of beaches, avoid renting/buying in Holloways Beach, Machans Beach and possibly Yorkeys as some planes their flightpath comes in over there and when we came, we looked around Holloways Beach and i thought..... nah, not here thank you! (Holloways is the worst one) Besides, Beaches from Trinity Beach upwards are by far and away the best.
No planes i hear from Kewarra :-) Or Trinity when we lived there :-)
I guess it boils down to what you guys want. What you guys like and seek and enjoy etc.
Let me know if i can help.
Cheers. Mark
Great posts......sent you some karma to help you along

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.