Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns meet during Easter 2008

Cairns meet during Easter 2008

Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cairns meet during Easter 2008

Hey Gill
How do you fancy this then? I found this more scary than the Sydney bridge Climb!! Althought he bit where you cross the bridge to the other side at the top was a bit scary as the cars below on the bridge looked like dots.
I think we would do the canopy surfing again though as it was good fun. The worse part was when we landed on a small platform attached to the trees that was only held in by bolts...due to conservation rules! it was a lot higher up than I thought it would be!...especially when you had to sit down and make your way to edge of platform before launching yourself off!
First photo is of Jen practising on walk down to Myall beach!!
Attached Thumbnails Cairns meet during Easter 2008-liz-jen-oz-honeymoon-029.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280136.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280137.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280148.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280156.jpg  

Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Last lot for now..they give you safety helmets to wear but won't let you see whats written on them! I got the raw deal although one guy did get Tinkerbell!! Marge Simpson, please! You can see how high it is by looking at the background of te rainforest in our helmet shot!
Attached Thumbnails Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280163.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280159.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280165.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280168.jpg   Cairns meet during Easter 2008-p8280151.jpg  

Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:39 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant photos Liz
You're braver than me!!!! Looks like you had a fab time though.
Beth x x
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Brilliant photos Liz
You're braver than me!!!! Looks like you had a fab time though.
Beth x x
Yes, we had a great laugh..have decided to buy a camper van in Oz so we can go off to Cape Tribulation and the rainforest at least one weekend a month and other places other times, we can even just go to Port Douglas and have somewhere to crash for the night!
Lizx
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:32 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Yes, we had a great laugh..have decided to buy a camper van in Oz so we can go off to Cape Tribulation and the rainforest at least one weekend a month and other places other times, we can even just go to Port Douglas and have somewhere to crash for the night!
Lizx
Sounds great!!!! We sold our caravan last year, which upset us all. We used to go away every weekend during the spring and summer. Had lots of fun and b-b-qs
Beth x x
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:22 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Lizx
Go for one of the old classic air cooled 1970's T2 Camper Van's. They have more class than the more modern water cooled ones in my opinion. I just love the historic ones so would never buy a modern one anyway, just a bit of my bias. I lived in one for a year whilst travelling in Oz in 2002 then shipped it to the UK with a mate.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Go for one of the old classic air cooled 1970's T2 Camper Van's. They have more class than the more modern water cooled ones in my opinion. I just love the historic ones so would never buy a modern one anyway, just a bit of my bias. I lived in one for a year whilst travelling in Oz in 2002 then shipped it to the UK with a mate.
I have had a couple here in Englan dbut been there and done that..I would need a lot of money to buy one again as I would want it to be perfect! I am going for something more reliable this time..won't be so pretty though..and something I can use regularly.
There don't seem to be many advertiseda round Cairns area (not the Type 2's anyway)..maybe you could let me know where to look!
Liz

Attached a picture of my old baby..her name was Queenie, as she used to serve the German Army. When I bought her she was aqua colour with a high top..i completely changed her. Had to sell her to finance my full time study. I was gutted when she went but it was to a good home. Had some fun times with her all over Scotland, South Coast and the Lake District. Queenie R.I.P.
Attached Thumbnails Cairns meet during Easter 2008-whitby-robin-hoods-bay-september-2006-006.jpg  
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Must have cost you to ship it to the U.K..any piccies of it..was it mint? Do you think they are a lot better to buy out there because of the lack of sale on roads etc..or are they about the same with the M.O.T not being so strict there and them being abused and having high mileage?
Liz
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:46 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Must have cost you to ship it to the U.K..any piccies of it..was it mint? Do you think they are a lot better to buy out there because of the lack of sale on roads etc..or are they about the same with the M.O.T not being so strict there and them being abused and having high mileage?
Liz
Nice van.

We brought it in Adelaide where we knew a car dealer there who managed to find one for £2k. It was a private sale and had not been used by backpackers so we got pretty lucky I think. Its had 70,000km at the time which must have been 170,000 km but drove like a dream. I spent £1k shipping it back to the UK so we had spent £3k on it. It was worth £4k when it hit England so we had made £1k in 2002. Its now worth about £7.5k.

I will probably get one when in Cairns. You can get a bit of a wreck from backpackers on the esplanade for a bargain price when they want a quick sale. I might get one to keep me going for a while. There are some garages around which I will hunt down when there again in March and get friendly with the locals.

The Oz vans have less rust on due to the weather, salt, etc. Mine had surface rust on the exhaust, etc. but nothing major bearing in mind is 35 years old or so. The condition of rust is Oz would generally be a very good van in the UK. If they have been owned by backpackers I would get it checked out as generally they do not know how to maintain them properly, but then that goes for any van really rather than just VW's.

Here is a link to mine.
http://www.muddock.com/VW.htm

I'm planning to ship my buggy over once I get settled there.

Unless your have at least £20k you would not get a mint one anywhere really, but then that is part of the fun and charatcter of VW's when there are little glitches.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Liz - looks like you both had a fab time

Def must try and go there soon - when the rain stops that is.

As for the other stuff - walking thru the rain forest and on the beaches will be enough for me! That boat ramp looks doesn't give me much confidence to do the river trip Liz and I was looking forward to that

Cheers
Gill
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nice van.

We brought it in Adelaide where we knew a car dealer there who managed to find one for £2k. It was a private sale and had not been used by backpackers so we got pretty lucky I think. Its had 70,000km at the time which must have been 170,000 km but drove like a dream. I spent £1k shipping it back to the UK so we had spent £3k on it. It was worth £4k when it hit England so we had made £1k in 2002. Its now worth about £7.5k.

I will probably get one when in Cairns. You can get a bit of a wreck from backpackers on the esplanade for a bargain price when they want a quick sale. I might get one to keep me going for a while. There are some garages around which I will hunt down when there again in March and get friendly with the locals.

The Oz vans have less rust on due to the weather, salt, etc. Mine had surface rust on the exhaust, etc. but nothing major bearing in mind is 35 years old or so. The condition of rust is Oz would generally be a very good van in the UK. If they have been owned by backpackers I would get it checked out as generally they do not know how to maintain them properly, but then that goes for any van really rather than just VW's.

Here is a link to mine.

Unless your have at least £20k you would not get a mint one anywhere really, but then that is part of the fun and charatcter of VW's when there are little glitches.
Your van looks nice too. I would like another one but just want something rust free and regularly serviced..preferably nor backpacked in! The engines are pretty basic and new engines cheap so just want good bodywork mainly as that where money goes! I do miss mine . have been looking at Toyota Hiaces but no character at all..prob reliable though.
Liz
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nice van.

Here is a link to mine.

I will be there in March..maybe you could help me find one! You may gazump me though!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:35 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Gill
How do you fancy this then? I found this more scary than the Sydney bridge Climb!! Althought he bit where you cross the bridge to the other side at the top was a bit scary as the cars below on the bridge looked like dots.
I think we would do the canopy surfing again though as it was good fun. The worse part was when we landed on a small platform attached to the trees that was only held in by bolts...due to conservation rules! it was a lot higher up than I thought it would be!...especially when you had to sit down and make your way to edge of platform before launching yourself off!
First photo is of Jen practising on walk down to Myall beach!!
the jungle surfing is run by a bunch of cowboys. i would not go anywhere near it. a pommy girl is now paralysed and brain damaged because they failed to strap her to the wire and when she jumped she just fell to the ground. bump!! life over. they only just managed to stay in business and threw all the blame onto the dope smokin hippee who said go for it. that had little in the way of procedures and a bit of a party culture within the staff. the guy had been partying throughout the night on the the day of the incident. go to the tropical fruit farm next time your in cape trib. my top pick.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by youngy73
the jungle surfing is run by a bunch of cowboys. i would not go anywhere near it. a pommy girl is now paralysed and brain damaged because they failed to strap her to the wire and when she jumped she just fell to the ground. bump!! life over. they only just managed to stay in business and threw all the blame onto the dope smokin hippee who said go for it. that had little in the way of procedures and a bit of a party culture within the staff. the guy had been partying throughout the night on the the day of the incident. go to the tropical fruit farm next time your in cape trib. my top pick.

Accidents happen all over..we found them to be very professional and felt very safe!! One person cannot define the whole company and I am now quite good freinds with one of the guys....I won't go again now though in case I get the same guy..I want to be strapped in right! Thanks for the warning.
Liz
Old Mar 7th 2008, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Well people only 2 weeks to go so thought someone has to organise it and you know me lol!!

Bix and I have been to a few venues to check them out and taking into account the recent floods and heavy rains thought it might be better to go somewhere inland so..yesterday we joined 'wannabenurse' and co at the Red Beret in Redlynch and all thought it was an ideal venue for adults and kids as things to do for both There is a big undercover area at the back with a bar and eating area with a restuarant and the main bar is on the other side but still accessible from this area. PS2/3 Xbox stations for the kids young and old plus a play area for younger kids (under 7 yrs prob).

So.....Red Beret in Redlynch on Saturday 22nd March from 4pm till late

Everywhere will be busy cause its Easter Saturday so, might be a good idea if I book a few tables when I know who is def coming. I dont mind organising it for everyone if I have an idea of numbers. Thanks.

Look forward to seeing you all there - if you need any help re directions just send us a PM.

Take care have a good weekend

Gill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.