Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns in January

Cairns in January

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Default Cairns in January

I know there will be an obviuos reason for this but , why is January in Cairns "off season" ? We were looking at summer holidays with the kids and want to check that we would still be able to "do" the Barrier Reef etc.
Thanks in advance,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:00 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Cairns in January

i assume because ti's the wet season and it's bloody hot and wet!

Originally Posted by Tass
I know there will be an obviuos reason for this but , why is January in Cairns "off season" ? We were looking at summer holidays with the kids and want to check that we would still be able to "do" the Barrier Reef etc.
Thanks in advance,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brisnick
i assume because ti's the wet season and it's bloody hot and wet!

Thanks, I thought as much,wonder if it's still worth going at that time of year.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:54 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i was up in townsville over xmas, and back in cairns for easter, and i think its still worth the visit. its very humid, so make sure you get aircon, but otherwise go for it!!

Thanks, I thought as much,wonder if it's still worth going at that time of year.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns was great this january - hot and steamy in the day, mild and balmy at night - go for it!

EDIT:- Oh! and we've had the driest wet season for a hundred odd years - don't believe the scaremongerers!!!

Last edited by steandleigh; Jun 22nd 2005 at 7:01 am. Reason: Wet season...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:04 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure it beats Saltcoats in January Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:07 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Tass

(I'm allowed on this site!!)

You could PM Bix - I think he lived through January 2005 up there - where IS Bix when you need him? Probably recovering from his trip to the Gold Coast
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:36 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance,
Tass.

I was in Cairns in March this year, humidity was unreal, i personally didnt rate cairns as a place, a bit to back packer for me!

But apparently Port douglas is a lot nicer, you can still get to the reef, and also the excursions from port douglas go to better locations on the reef as well......
It might be worth looking at
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Cairns in January

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm sure it beats Saltcoats in January Tass.

LOL!!!! I wonder if they have a "NARDINI'S"!!!
Oh , that's Largs but close enough !!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Cairns in January

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Hiya Tass

(I'm allowed on this site!!)

You could PM Bix - I think he lived through January 2005 up there - where IS Bix when you need him? Probably recovering from his trip to the Gold Coast

Hey Graham !
Tell Nikki to get the spare room ready , I have almost talked John into another road trip ! YIPEE !!!
Will you take us out on your boat ?
I did think about PM-ing the pasty man but wasn't sure if the hangover would have worn off yet !
Speak soon,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
I was in Cairns in March this year, humidity was unreal, i personally didnt rate cairns as a place, a bit to back packer for me!

But apparently Port douglas is a lot nicer, you can still get to the reef, and also the excursions from port douglas go to better locations on the reef as well......
It might be worth looking at

Thanks for that.
We went to Brisbane in Jan this year and it rained the whole time we were there. I think we would be devestated if it rained all thru our barrier reef trip too ! Good deals flying to Cairns at that time of year , now I know why.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Cairns was great this january - hot and steamy in the day, mild and balmy at night - go for it!

EDIT:- Oh! and we've had the driest wet season for a hundred odd years - don't believe the scaremongerers!!!

What about the Mozzies then ??
We might still go for it , the price is right !
Thanks,
All the best,
Tass.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:09 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

LOL!!!! I wonder if they have a "NARDINI'S"!!!
Oh , that's Largs but close enough !!

Ohhh best ice cream in Ayrshire.

At least the rain in Cairns is warm rain.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

The pasty man awakens

According to the locals these last few months have been a bit wierd......and it's nuthin to do with my arrival here

It usually rains hard during Dec to Feb when it's really hot and humid.
Then a bit iffy March & April.
Then glorious May thru to Oct with clear blue skies and little rain, and then starts to build again in Nov.

This year though as Stan said the rainfall is way down. One week of Jan saw the big downpour but otherwise it has been pretty sporadic. Lots of cloudy and "spitty" days and generally the humidity has been higher than normal.

So Jan ? It's pot luck with the rain I guess but you can be sure it will be hot and humid.
Mind, if you came and did hit the rains they are an experience in themselves and they don't tend to stop things happening for long.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

She's been using my PC again and not logging our properly

Tass, I just found the actual figures for Jan 2005.

Mmmmmm........96% relative humidity.

Don't need a shower

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...4.200501.shtml

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.