Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CAIRNS OR GOLD COAST

CAIRNS OR GOLD COAST

Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default CAIRNS OR GOLD COAST

Whats the pros and cons?
Been to both but cant decide which would be more suited to me. Gold coast much busier to what I am used to living in a town in UK but very nice.
Enjoyed whats around Cairns such as Kuranda and Nothern beaches/Port Douglas.
Both have their tourism but can anyone give me an insight into family life for either?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 3:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAIRNS OR GOLD COAST

Originally Posted by garyp
Whats the pros and cons?
Been to both but cant decide which would be more suited to me. Gold coast much busier to what I am used to living in a town in UK but very nice.
Enjoyed whats around Cairns such as Kuranda and Nothern beaches/Port Douglas.
Both have their tourism but can anyone give me an insight into family life for either?
Both much of a muchness family life wise I would think. You have to go with your gut instinct. What bits of the Goldie did you visit? It's quiet where I am but then it's quiet compared to what I had before which was a small town of about 30,000 surrounded by countryside but London about 25 miles away. Do you know which would be better for work? And can you handle high humidity (and aircon) of Cairns in summer? In an ideal world I'd live on the Goldie for 8 months of the year and then move up to Cairns for winter but never mind, it aint going to happen
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

yeah I think going with your gut instinct and also take the tourist shades off best way to find the right place for You.

I personally didn't like Brisbane (only saw the airport and what I saw from the train...but I don't like cities anyway). I also walked from Coolangatta to Palm Beach and my choice is definitely Coolangatta (although love the scenery on the way). I might check out Byron Bay and I want to visit Perth. but if I had to I think I could live in Coolangatta and be happy.

Last edited by BeachBassist; Jul 28th 2009 at 4:29 am.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:27 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

No water restriction in Cairns.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 5:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
No water restriction in Cairns.
None here either.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

There is plenty going on in & around Cairns for a family, some good schools, traffic generally not bad at all & it is easy to get around.
Weather in winter is fabulous, you just need to cope with the wet season when it can be very humid & feels hotter than it really is! Of course the benefit of wet season is how lush & green it is most of the time.
Personally I think it is a great place for my family but I also haven't been anywhere else yet either!
Primarily you probably need to look at job opportunities in both places as a starting point.
Good luck
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
There is plenty going on in & around Cairns for a family, some good schools, traffic generally not bad at all & it is easy to get around.
Weather in winter is fabulous, you just need to cope with the wet season when it can be very humid & feels hotter than it really is! Of course the benefit of wet season is how lush & green it is most of the time.
Personally I think it is a great place for my family but I also haven't been anywhere else yet either!
Primarily you probably need to look at job opportunities in both places as a starting point.
Good luck
The drawback being, you live near Sal. So, Goldy it is then?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:17 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey, how far down the coast do you stop worrying about stingers?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Just come back after interview and visited and liked both. job oppportunities possibly in both when time to go.
only seen the busy surfers paradise bit where the traffic was busy driving out to what I am used to. took a nice wrong turning to paradise point. I realise gold coast is a big place and it must have its quieter places to live. never went south to coolangata which looks nice.
I live in an area at mo where population is approx 70000 and my town is approx 12000 back in uk. dont want too much of a culture shock.
liked both places but getting drawn to both. Cairns has everything but you are isolated so far north with extremes of weather.
just want what is right for teenage kids who are still reluctant to go
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:06 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
None here either.
For about another month.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 9:07 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Hey, how far down the coast do you stop worrying about stingers?
South of Rocky.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:26 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Primarily you probably need to look at job opportunities in both places as a starting point

This is a major thing. We moved to the Goldie 5 months ago. But are moving back to Sydney next week. I like the GC but the lack of jobs is a big thing. I never moved up here to commute to work over a hour one way and nearly 1.5 half back.ie working in Brissie or Ipswich. If you can find stable work on the Gold Coast then i'd say go for it. Never been to Cairns so cant comment. Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:34 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burbage
South of Rocky.
Cheers, Burbage. BTW, whats the job situation like in Cairns at the moment?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:19 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

I think both have their strengths and weaknesses (obviously) but having visited both recently you might need to think about the climate in Cairns.
At certain times it can be stinkingly hot and humid, so you'll end up hurrying between air conditioned environments, and you'll have to work out if you can handle living like that for part of the year .
I was there over a public holiday weekend, so the city centre was a bit of a ghost town, save for some down and outs brawling at 3pm. At nights bits of the city centre seem to be taken over by British/Irish backpackers, so at times it can feel like a night out in any British city (not a good thing in my view).
On a positive note however some of the areas around Cairns are beautiful; Port Douglas is one of my favourite spots in Oz, with a nice laid back feel, and other places around are lovely.
The heat is a real benefit at this time of year too, which explains why the city is a major tourist destination for Aussies.
Don't read too much into the Gold Coast from Surfers (which I always consider to be the ba##ard son of Blackpool and Las Vegas); although thats the busiest part, some of the quieter areas are fantastic, particularly if you head inland into the Hinterland. Going south into North NSW is nice too.
I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this, but I'd imagine you'd get more house for your money in Cairns than you would on the GC though.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:12 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Cheers, Burbage. BTW, whats the job situation like in Cairns at the moment?
Well I have one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.