Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cairns, Cairns, Cairns

Cairns, Cairns, Cairns

Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Cairns, Cairns, Cairns

We're going to attempt to drive from Melbourne to Cairns in my clapped out Mazda. Somebody told me to go visit the Atherton Tablelands. So what fun things are there to do up there? We may be there for NY - judging how long it takes to drive up the Newell then the Bruce highways - bearing in mind there might be diversions due to flooding.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 10:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cairns, Cairns, Cairns

This website is pretty good.....
http://www.tablelands.org/

I highly recommend the Herberton Historic Village. Well worth half a day.....
http://www.herbertonhistoricvillage.com.au/

Our favourite place is the Yungaburra area.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
We're going to attempt to drive from Melbourne to Cairns in my clapped out Mazda. Somebody told me to go visit the Atherton Tablelands. So what fun things are there to do up there? We may be there for NY - judging how long it takes to drive up the Newell then the Bruce highways - bearing in mind there might be diversions due to flooding.
we are going down to the Esplanade on NYE
live music, DJ's fireworks early and later, and plenty of other stuff,
visiting some of the lakes, creeks etc are well worth it, beautiful
have a fab time x
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

what are the roads like up there? We were driving up the A5, got as far as Talloon before finding that the river had flooded - so had to turn around, drive back to Miles, then drive through major flooding to Towoomba then up the A3 to Rockhampton. Hope to make cairns eventually!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We are all clear around Cairns area but forecast aint great.

I think I heard Townsville area is due for a bit of a deluge soon too.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
We are all clear around Cairns area but forecast aint great.

I think I heard Townsville area is due for a bit of a deluge soon too.
Tropical Low possibly crossing the coast end of this week......
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:58 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Flash Flood warning for Far North Queensland

Roger Dickson
Thursday, December 23, 2010
© The Cairns Post
FAR Northern residents are being urged to take extreme care on the regions roads. Please send us your wild weather stories and photos: and please take care.
The Weather Bureau has this morning issued a high level weather warning for the Northern Tropical Coast and Tablelands and Herbert and Lower Burdekin.

“Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce very heavy rainfall and flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Cairns, Port Douglas, Ingham, Innisfail, Mareeba and Cardwell," the warning states.

Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:

* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11:50 am.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Emergency Management Queensland would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.