Reload this Page >

cairns - advice about short term accomodation and rental agents

cairns - advice about short term accomodation and rental agents

Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cairns - advice about short term accomodation and rental agents

Hi,

Moving to Cairns 4th July - just booked our flights yesterday - very exciting!!

We're hoping for some advice about short term accomodation when we arrive and also if anyone can recommend good letting agents in Cairns?

1. Wondering if anyone in Cairns knows of the Whiterock Leisure Park? It is located south of Cairns and looks like a reasonbly priced option for us to book a cabin for 5 days short term accomodation while we visit different suburbs and hopefully view apartments. I emailled the owner about an early check in as we arrive in at 8am after a long journey and she promptly emailled me back saying that wouldn't be a problem - so it's a thunbs up for customer service so far!

2. We are hoping to arrange viewings of modern, furnished two bedroom apartments for around $250 per week and have seen lots of availability on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au but just wondering if this is the best way to arrange viewings or contact letting agents directly or should we wait til we arrive and visit the letting agent offices? We like the look of the northern beach resorts (Clifton Beach, Palm Cove, Kewarra Beach, etc.)

3. We will be renting a car for approx 1 week until we can purchase one - if anyone knows of a good value car rental company at the airport it would be a big help to us!! Also any tips of buying a second hand car as cheaply as possible would be much appreciated too!! Oh and also we want to get a tomtom (i have no sense of direction whatsoever!) and wonder if we should purchase one in the UK for approx. £80 then download OZ maps (is this free?) or wait til we arrive and buy one?

It's funny how you come on to ask one question and more just pop into your head! Thanks to anyone who can help with the above
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: cairns - advice about short term accomodation and rental agents

This is probably the cheapest and easiest place to book a car http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com/

There is also plenty of 2nd hard cars for sale in the local cairns post, probably the cheapest way to go to get one.

Best if you buy your tom tom from here https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart....asp?idpage=11 There is a shop on the mulgrave rd situated close to town.

Last edited by rocket01; Feb 6th 2010 at 5:54 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

That rent seems very expensive is it for a week only? I would recommend waiting till you get here.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
That rent seems very expensive is it for a week only? I would recommend waiting till you get here.
$250 per week for a furnished 2 bed rental is about right R!

Personally, I would wait until you get here to arrange viewings. It would also be good if you drive around the areas first as you may decide one area is more you than another. Make sure you bring references with you too.

There is a rental company near the airport that do older cars
www.cairnsoldercarhire.com

We used Mini car rentals
www.minicarrentals.com.au

You could also look at this one -
www.cairns-car-rentals.com They also do older cars.

I think most places do free pick-up from the airport.

I don't know what that holiday park is like but I do know that the Coconut holiday park is meant to be one of the best
http://www.coconut.com.au/
No idea about cost though and you are arriving in holiday season.

If you are buying a car privately, you need to be very certain that there is no outstanding credit on it. I can't remember how you can do this but hopefully someone elase will know.
This is quite a good site too!
http://www.carsales.com.au/
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Excellent info - thanks alot! Oh i didn't think about the possibility of a second hand car having outstanding finance!! Hopefully some1 will know of a way to check this, in the uk it is quite easy to do online through the RAC or AA so if anyone knows of a similar oz website that would be really helpful to us!! thanks again
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kat83
Excellent info - thanks alot! Oh i didn't think about the possibility of a second hand car having outstanding finance!! Hopefully some1 will know of a way to check this, in the uk it is quite easy to do online through the RAC or AA so if anyone knows of a similar oz website that would be really helpful to us!! thanks again
Advice here...........
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring_advi...and__registers
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Oh well done Bix
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh well done Bix
Following your lead madame.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bix - i've stored the web address in my favourites and will use it to make sure we don't get a nasty surprise when buying a car!! Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whats chance off a 2nd hand cheap car still having finance on it still? I recon about 0.0001%
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:52 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

You may be right but chance to it having no rego, CTP or safety cert is much higher.

Buyer beware.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:08 am
Just Joined

mikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nicemikeyp is just really nice

Originally Posted by kat83
Hi,

Moving to Cairns 4th July - just booked our flights yesterday - very exciting!!

We're hoping for some advice about short term accomodation when we arrive and also if anyone can recommend good letting agents in Cairns?

1. Wondering if anyone in Cairns knows of the Whiterock Leisure Park? It is located south of Cairns and looks like a reasonbly priced option for us to book a cabin for 5 days short term accomodation while we visit different suburbs and hopefully view apartments. I emailled the owner about an early check in as we arrive in at 8am after a long journey and she promptly emailled me back saying that wouldn't be a problem - so it's a thunbs up for customer service so far!

It's funny how you come on to ask one question and more just pop into your head! Thanks to anyone who can help with the above
At work I have come across a few people who have been living long(ish) term at White Rock Leisure Park - can't say they've had great things to say about it..........I would advise you to perhaps look at the other options

Mike
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I would take heed of what Mike says.

I don't know the actual establishment but it backs onto the main railwayline and Bruce Highway.

White Rock in general is a shite place IMO.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

My wife works here and its nice http://www.trinity-links-resort.com/
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:42 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by rocket01
My wife works here and its nice http://www.trinity-links-resort.com/
Lived there for 3 months a while back.
Good gated complex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.