Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Caboolture Queensland??

Caboolture Queensland??

Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caboolture Queensland??

Does anyone know anything about this town - would it be recommended as a good place to settle and bring up children? Does anyone know what the schooling is like there?
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:33 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Caboolture Queensland??

Originally posted by Tracey
Does anyone know anything about this town - would it be recommended as a good place to settle and bring up children? Does anyone know what the schooling is like there?
Caboolture and the surrounding areas are as good as anywhere else around the Northern region of Brisbane. It has a dairy and farming past but is now a bedroom community for Brisbane workers.

Proximity to Bribie Island, Sunshine Coast and rural hinterland are pluses. Some comment that Caboolture is a cheap area. There certainly are estates that I would not like to live in. The better areas are Bellmere, parts of Morayfield like Excelsior Park, Gingerbrook Farms and generally areas South and West of the CBD.

Electric rail links to Brisbane cost A$40 for a weekly ticket to Brisbane Central.

For more some info

Caboolture Shire

My kids go to Minimbah State and they are happy. For schools check the Queensland Government website.

Caboolture Schools

Last edited by Florida_03; Jul 9th 2003 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard that it is a nice area. A friend of mine grew up there and he says it was a nice place to live.

Off the subject just a little, have a look at Tim Sorrell's site, he lives in Samford, moved there in January 2000. His site is full of useful information.

http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au/

Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Caboolture def has good and bad bits. Lots of housing comission and unemployed hence the cheaper houses. Probably a good tip for that area would be to rent first, live there and find out the iffy bits. Husband had rellies lived there, lovely home on acerage, but they found it hard to handle some of the "lower class element" their words not mine, that go there cause of lower prices. Price and Class go hand in hand in OZ probably more so than the UK, people very aware of what they pay in 'certain areas'. Good thing tho is anywere within fairly easy reach of Bris is going to go up further as people are forced to move out. Just dont rush in till you have experienced the area is my tip.
Old Jul 10th 2003, 1:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

A friend of mine lives in the Morayfield part of Caboolture on an acreage/new estate/plots. Anyway - land is lot cheaper there, the houses tend to be bigger - because the land is cheap, people tend to put their money into building big houses - i.e. you see some lovely big mansion type homes. As for the area - it depends on what part of caboolture, some parts it really does have a rough/hick element, other parts tend to be people who have moved there for the space and or retirement. My friend paid around $65,000 for his plot (it's just over an acre) about a year, ayear and a half ago - they are now selling next to him about $95,000. So as you see land is still pretty cheap in that area.

The town of Morayfield is thriving - quite a busy little spot actually. Most of the do-it-yourself, landscaping, and furniture shops are up that way... I'm always going up there to buy stuff for the new house I'm building. (noticed the post about goodguys earlier - there's one in Morayfield which I go to - I had the same discount when I paid by my credit card as I would have with cash - I asked, as I was prepared to go to the bank and get the cash - everything is negotiable when you buy a couple of grands worth)

Caboolture shire district covers a wide area of suburbs and towns - I'm pretty sure Bribie Island falls into the caboolture council area too. So it depends where in Caboolture.

Anyway rent up there first (I'm saying up - because I'm down in Redcliffe ) - Not a place I like that much - but plenty of people do seem to like it of course. You need to look at the area for yourself, nobody can decide on your behalf what is right for you.

Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2003, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Caboolture is basically a suburb of Brisbane. It isn't considered a town any more. It is close to the motorway and the Sunshine Coast. The closest major shopping centre is at Strathpine but there are many smaller centres with supermarkets dotted around everywhere. The Brisbane suburban train line has a stop there and there is a stop at Strathpine near the Mall where there are cinemas.

There is a TAFE (polytechnic) a few state primary and high schools, a Lutheran Primary school, a Catholic 2ndary school, a golf course, a hospital, and you are a short drive to the beaches at Bribie Is.

There are new estates amongst older neighbourhoods so it is best to sus the place out when you get here. House prices will rise as this area is growing rapidly.
Old Jul 20th 2003, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kaleb777
The closest major shopping centre is at Strathpine...
Not true Morayfield Shopping Centre is a major shopping centre.

Commercial Development

The Brisbane suburban train line has a stop there and there is a stop at Strathpine near the Mall where there are cinemas.
True but why go to the Strathpine cinema complex when you can go to one of the 8 at the Morayfield cinema complex?

Morayfield Cinema
Old Jul 21st 2003, 12:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Modigliana

Commercial Development

True but why go to the Strathpine cinema complex when you can go to one of the 8 at the Morayfield cinema complex?

Morayfield Cinema

True

Morayfield has a large shopping centre - can't remember which store is in there - it's either Woolworth's or coles ,also it has shops such as Kmart etc are in the shopping centre. Morayfield has plenty of shops , Harvey Norman, Good guys, Fast food , Pubs, All the major stores are up on the main RD, quite a big stretch of road- it's quite a busy town/place - there is no need to go to other places to shop such as strathpine. I'm not sure if Caboolture is considered a suburb of Brisbane - why I say this? because their phone numbers starts with a 4 - Friend recently signed up with the internet , because the exchange is in Brisbane - he was told that everytime he dials up to the net - the call is not a local call , he gets charged more for it - this is what Telstra told him. Most Brisbane phone numbers start with a 3, most places in Morayfield do not have a 3 number start.

Caboolture covers towns such as Morayfield and even Bribie falls into the shire too

A link for the councils web site
- http://www.caboolturesc.qld.gov.au/c...nt/default.htm

A link for Brisbane suburbs maps - caboolture is not on there, neither is Redcliffe
http://www.arta.com.au/qldmaps/brisubs.html

another link for Brisbane suburbs - caboolture and redcliffe is not on this one either
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/brisbane/brisbane_suburbs/

I'm not sure when is a town/place considered a suburb of Brisbane. When people say they live in N.Brisbane (north of Brisbane) - that usually means they are in places like Redcliffe, Sandgate, caboolture, Pine, etc etc. - Geographical speaking. I'm not sure when technically speaking ,when places are considered suburbs of Brisbane
Caboolture is a shire, it has it's own council and covers a few suburbs such as Morayfield and Bribie. Redcliffe also has it's own council (where I live) and it's is called "Redcliffe city" it also covers a few suburbs. Pine is also a shire - and that too covers a lot of suburbs.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 21st 2003 at 3:09 am.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Modigliana

Commercial Development

Morayfield Cinema
What is your problem? The last time I was on the north side there wasn't a shopping centre at Morayfield, not one big enough for 8 cinemas anyway. I haven't been on the north side for a while so was relying on a refidex that is only a couple of editions out of date and didn't even show a proposed centre at Morayfield.

I'm not trying to mislead anyone, only trying to help with information that I didn't see in any previous posts. Maybe you could offer some information since I assume you live up there rather than looking for mistakes other people make. A change in attitude wouldn't go astray either. This is supposed to be about helping people.

It must have really killed you that only one piece of information I offered was actually wrong. Nice attempt though with the second dig. Now perhaps you can offer some information that you think might be of use rather than spewing attitude.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Morayfield

When we went in April, we went to a large shopping centre which I think was just outside Morayfield. We went ten-pin bowling and yes it does have a large cinema complex. Unfortunately cannot remember exactly where it was.

Mandy