Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Byford Quarantine

Byford Quarantine

Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:44 am
Just Joined

richab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nice
Default Byford Quarantine

Hi there

We're waiting for our dog's import permit and just wondered if anyone has any idea of the current waiting time at Byford. I have emailed them also.

Many thanks
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Byford Quarantine

Originally Posted by richab
Hi there

We're waiting for our dog's import permit and just wondered if anyone has any idea of the current waiting time at Byford. I have emailed them also.

Many thanks
Give them a ring, you can book ahead... My boys (the byford two) were only delayed because the grey nomads had let their vacinations slip by 3 weeks...
But they are cats...

They appear to have at last forgiven me for the trauma of flying/quarentine....
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:58 am
Just Joined

richab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nice

Thanks for that - I'm using a shipping company and they're chasing up the permit but will ring Byford tomorrow to get an idea. Glad your cats have forgiven you!!

I'm dreading sending him but furniture shipping/flights can't be booked until he's sorted - my life's in his paws!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - I'm using a shipping company and they're chasing up the permit but will ring Byford tomorrow to get an idea. Glad your cats have forgiven you!!

I'm dreading sending him but furniture shipping/flights can't be booked until he's sorted - my life's in his paws!
Dont forget he'll be out of circulAtion for a while...in quarantine... Furniture shipping takes a sight lot longer than shipping a pet... They dont stick them on a slow boat via hong kong ... They arrive by pane in a very short time....
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:35 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

The girls at Byford were excellent with my cat Gordon, I couldnt fault them. I wasnt charged for the two vet visits for my cat when he chewed some carpeting on the cat rung and gave himself the shits.

They also kept him 3 extra days to allow me to move house and didnt charge me, they took superb care of him.

Sometimes quarantine is the safest place they can be while you get settled because the journey is traumatic enough without adding new house, furniture moving in, you settling in to the mix.

Best you get yourself sorted and unpacked so it looks like home and then get your cat home because boxes and unpacking can sure unsettle them.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
The girls at Byford were excellent with my cat Gordon, I couldnt fault them. I wasnt charged for the two vet visits for my cat when he chewed some carpeting on the cat rung and gave himself the shits.

They also kept him 3 extra days to allow me to move house and didnt charge me, they took superb care of him.

Sometimes quarantine is the safest place they can be while you get settled because the journey is traumatic enough without adding new house, furniture moving in, you settling in to the mix.

Best you get yourself sorted and unpacked so it looks like home and then get your cat home because boxes and unpacking can sure unsettle them.
We gave ourselves 3 years before the byford two joined us... The grey nomads decided to follow us and immigrate too... So the boys home for life ....wasn't.

They really are good there, you will find people who are critical, but its hard to accept the restricted visiting and limited time with your bestfriend... Its a hard time for owners....
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes - that's why I want to get him safely on his way before the shippers come in to take our stuff esp as he's very attached to me (he's like velcro dog)

thanks for the replies, makes me feel better, as you say it's very stressful
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:04 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - that's why I want to get him safely on his way before the shippers come in to take our stuff esp as he's very attached to me (he's like velcro dog)

thanks for the replies, makes me feel better, as you say it's very stressful
Ill see if I can dig out my Byford photos, Gordon was so spoiled there, he bonded with his kennel maid and missed her when we took him away.

We bought the girls Tim Tams, biscuits and stuff to say thank you, they looked after him so well.

Quarantine is a huge guilt trip on the owner, there are time restraints for visiting and it is so hard for all concerned but for the animals, they are fed, cleaned, watered, petted and if they get to see their owners, bargain. Not a bad life for an animal.

Keep us updated, oh yes, take a comb in - we did, Gordon loved us grooming him at visiting sessions.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies - have been informed that Byford quarantine is currently booked up until mid August
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the replies - have been informed that Byford quarantine is currently booked up until mid August
So are you going to book your place now and follow based on that?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Yep - he's booked in, so now I need to book the furniture shippers and my flight - eek