British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Byford, Gosnells and Thornlie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/byford-gosnells-thornlie-239782/)

Kendonakasaki Jul 2nd 2004 10:42 am

Byford, Gosnells and Thornlie

Anyone got any views on these areas? Property prices seem much cheaper here, any particular reason why.

ABCDiamond Jul 2nd 2004 10:53 am

Re: Byford, Gosnells and Thornlie

Originally posted by Kendonakasaki
Anyone got any views on these areas? Property prices seem much cheaper here, any particular reason why.
Where are these areas ?

Sander Jul 2nd 2004 11:22 am

Re: Byford, Gosnells and Thornlie

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Where are these areas ?
I'm guessing Perth...

Vegemite Kids Jul 2nd 2004 11:29 am

Part of the reason they are cheaper is that they are that bit further outside the city.

Thornlie is a suburb of Gosnells and doesnt have that good a reputation, Gosnells itself is OK and has quite a bit of history (in OZ terms) as its one of the earlier settlements of Perth and Byford is rural.

Prsonally of the three I would chose Byford, even if it is a bit further out and doesnt have many facilites, but it is effectively a small country town so may not be for you. Second Choice from the three would be Gosnells (plenty of facilities) and I wouldnt touch Thornlie.

Kendonakasaki Jul 2nd 2004 11:33 am

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Part of the reason they are cheaper is that they are that bit further outside the city.

Thornlie is a suburb of Gosnells and doesnt have that good a reputation, Gosnells itself is OK and has quite a bit of history (in OZ terms) as its one of the earlier settlements of Perth and Byford is rural.

Prsonally of the three I would chose Byford, even if it is a bit further out and doesnt have many facilites, but it is effectively a small country town so may not be for you. Second Choice from the three would be Gosnells (plenty of facilities) and I wouldnt touch Thornlie.
Whoops! sorry I did mean Perth, when people say that soem of hte suburbs dont have good reputations is that because they are rough areas or just dont have the facilities like decent schools train stations etc?

Vegemite Kids Jul 2nd 2004 11:37 am

Generally it means they are rougher areas.

Certainly in the case of Thornlie it has a bit of a rep for toughness and is quoted as one of the highest places in perth in terms of insurance premiums for house contents etc....

Kendonakasaki Jul 2nd 2004 11:48 am

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Generally it means they are rougher areas.

Certainly in the case of Thornlie it has a bit of a rep for toughness and is quoted as one of the highest places in perth in terms of insurance premiums for house contents etc....
I have noticed that a lot of the homes advertised for sale in that area are equipped with alarms. Oh well back to the map.

Vegemite Kids Jul 2nd 2004 11:54 am

If you let us know exactly what you are looking for perhaps somebody on here can help to point you in the right direction ???????