Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bye bye Sydney, hello Brisbane? Help me to persuade OH

Bye bye Sydney, hello Brisbane? Help me to persuade OH

Old May 8th 2007, 4:54 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bye bye Sydney, hello Brisbane? Help me to persuade OH

We fly to Brisbane this weekend for a mini-reccie, as part of my campaign to persuade my OH that we should leave Sydney and move to Brisbane. OH is a bit reluctant to make the move - although he can see some of the positives (eg there are more work opportunities for me there, housing is cheaper, my sister lives there, I like it) he still prefers Sydney (he likes beaches, we have friends here).

However, he's never really had a chance to properly explore Brisbane and so his opinion of the city is pretty much based on what others say about it - and most people we have spoken to are very disparaging about it and fill his head with ideas that he'll be bored senseless as 'Brisbane's dead'. Which isn't very helpful!

It's been a fair few years since I lived in Brisbane, and it has undoubtedly changed from then! We plan to visit a selection of suburbs and view some houses so he can see what we can get for our money compared to Sydney, and I've got some job interviews lined up.

What else can I do to make him fall in love with Brisbane? What places can I take him to convince him that this move would be a good idea?

(PS I'm also bribing him with promises of a jeep, a playstation, and his very own boy's room, if we do move up )
Old May 8th 2007, 5:05 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye bye Sydney, hello Brisbane? Help me to persuade OH

ha ha is just trying to get more stuff thrown into the deal, maybe a boat
Old May 8th 2007, 5:10 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
ha ha is just trying to get more stuff thrown into the deal, maybe a boat
Well, I could stretch to a kayak - I'll see if that clinches it!
Old May 8th 2007, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Well, I could stretch to a kayak - I'll see if that clinches it!

I have a blow up police boat (pool toy) if you want it
Old May 8th 2007, 5:42 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Wendy
Oi you lot, this is a serious thread!

Have you got a blow up police man to go with that blow up police boat? Now that would be an interesting offer...
Old May 8th 2007, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a blow up police man to go with that blow up police boat? Now that would be an interesting offer...

No, I broke it
Old May 8th 2007, 7:02 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I might have....

Look, personally, I can't be that happy up there, but it depends what you want out of it, doesn't it?
If it means you're closer to family, and therefore happier Chels, then perhaps it's worth making the move.
On the other hand, if you move there and he's bored witless with the surrounds, then neither of you are going to be happy, and personally, I think that's a recipe for disaster.
At least living in Sydney, you can get a flight up to Brissie to see your sis on a regular basis.

I can't really recommend any places that would really make it worthwhile living there because I simply don't know the area very well apart from Robina area... but just be certain why you want to move and try not to force him into it because he has to want to give it a chance under his own impetus rather than yours... If he makes his own mind up to do it, there's no blame for you.

x
Old May 8th 2007, 9:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We fly to Brisbane this weekend for a mini-reccie, as part of my campaign to persuade my OH that we should leave Sydney and move to Brisbane. OH is a bit reluctant to make the move - although he can see some of the positives (eg there are more work opportunities for me there, housing is cheaper, my sister lives there, I like it) he still prefers Sydney (he likes beaches, we have friends here).

However, he's never really had a chance to properly explore Brisbane and so his opinion of the city is pretty much based on what others say about it - and most people we have spoken to are very disparaging about it and fill his head with ideas that he'll be bored senseless as 'Brisbane's dead'. Which isn't very helpful!

It's been a fair few years since I lived in Brisbane, and it has undoubtedly changed from then! We plan to visit a selection of suburbs and view some houses so he can see what we can get for our money compared to Sydney, and I've got some job interviews lined up.

What else can I do to make him fall in love with Brisbane? What places can I take him to convince him that this move would be a good idea?

(PS I'm also bribing him with promises of a jeep, a playstation, and his very own boy's room, if we do move up )
Whereabouts are you heading for, north or south Brissie?
Old May 8th 2007, 10:56 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I got the fire engine version, so there
Old May 8th 2007, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brisben
I got the fire engine version, so there

I've got that one too (and an inflatable crocodile)
Old May 8th 2007, 11:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be there like a shot ...
Old May 8th 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

I've got that one too (and an inflatable crocodile)
You're just not taking this seriously are you?!

Old May 8th 2007, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'd be there like a shot ...
That's it Chels. Dump your bloke and take Hutch instead.

Problem solved.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:09 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
That's it Chels. Dump your bloke and take Hutch instead.

Problem solved.
If only life was that simple hey !
Old May 8th 2007, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
You're just not taking this seriously are you?!

It's my way of keeping the thread at the top of the page

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.