Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Old Jun 1st 2018, 8:56 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

So does this mean that we won't be able to use amazon.co.uk even if we are using UK gift vouchers or paying in GBP? If so, we're stuffed as my brother sends evouchers to the kids for birthdays and Xmas, and they are in GBP. We also buy gifts using GBP.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:13 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
So does this mean that we won't be able to use amazon.co.uk even if we are using UK gift vouchers or paying in GBP? If so, we're stuffed as my brother sends evouchers to the kids for birthdays and Xmas, and they are in GBP. We also buy gifts using GBP.
Only really hassle is you won't be able to get the VAT back, and you might have to go via a third UK party.

Remember this screw up when you vote - its all thanks to Hockey, Abbott, Morrison and Trunbull....
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:16 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't claim the vat back anyway. I just want to make sure we can still purchase items on UK websites, for delivery to the UK, using GBP.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Only really hassle is you won't be able to get the VAT back, and you might have to go via a third UK party.

Remember this screw up when you vote - its all thanks to Hockey, Abbott, Morrison and Trunbull....
And Billy Boy Shorten and Bowen are going to dump it if they get government?

Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Don't claim the vat back anyway. I just want to make sure we can still purchase items on UK websites, for delivery to the UK, using GBP.
The way I understand it, Amazon UK (and all other sites) will be unreachable unless you have a VPN to disguise your IP address so they can't tell you are in Aus.
When you log in to Uk it will detect your location and divert you to the Australian site. Even if you do manage to reach the UK site they will not deliver to Australia, you will need to order for delivery in the UK and get someone there to forward it on.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a hassle for some of us. My family have busy lives. I will now have to say to them that I need them to trail up to the parcel depot to collect a package for me that counldn't be delivered cos they were at work, and then relabel and repost it to me. And then I have to get the money to them to pay for the postage.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:51 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if I wanted to buy you a birthday present on Amazon Italy and have it delivered to you in Australia?
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:21 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
What happens if I wanted to buy you a birthday present on Amazon Italy and have it delivered to you in Australia?
Well their information published so far says that deliveries to Australian addresses will only be possible through Amazon Australia, so I guess your purchase will be prevented by that annoying message that your item cannot be delivered to your chosen address. Please chose an alternate address"

Quoting the Guardian article from my first post - Amazon’s ban applies to all shipments to Australian addresses, which means that even customers with VPNs (virtual private networks) that hide their location will be able to access an international site but not be able to ship their goods home.

So no more pressies from home for any of us. My sister is going to be spitting bricks when I tell her.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 6:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A while back I ordered a Kindle ebook from the .com site. They automatically transferred me to the Au site. However I was paying using a gift card which wasn't accepted on the Au site. I had a very nice web chat with a .com woman who said it was dumb and she wasn't supposed to do but she'd switch my info back to the .com site. I find books on Bookbub and the link sends me to the Au site so I have to copy and paste to the .com site. However 9 times out of 10 I have to first go on ublock to update the ip addy before I can access the .com site. I wonder how gift cards will work if people don't get them from the Au site.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 10:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A while back I ordered a Kindle ebook from the .com site. They automatically transferred me to the Au site. However I was paying using a gift card which wasn't accepted on the Au site. I had a very nice web chat with a .com woman who said it was dumb and she wasn't supposed to do but she'd switch my info back to the .com site. I find books on Bookbub and the link sends me to the Au site so I have to copy and paste to the .com site. However 9 times out of 10 I have to first go on ublock to update the ip addy before I can access the .com site. I wonder how gift cards will work if people don't get them from the Au site.
Thats another headache for me - I do surveys for which I get paid in Amazon vouchers, which can either be in £ or US$....
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:42 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Some information that's come out (may or may not be what happens) :
  • The "you must buy from AmazonAU" seems to be based on delivery address - if it's in Oz you need/are forced to use AmazonAU
  • The AmazonAU site is supposed to offer those products that ship to Oz on the AmazonUS site on the AmazonAU site (with the 10% tax theft). Seems like it's only AmazonUS though.
  • You should be able to order from overseas Amazons if the total is over $1000.
  • eBooks should still be able to be purchased from overseas stores (no deliver address)
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:27 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Some information that's come out (may or may not be what happens) :
  • The "you must buy from AmazonAU" seems to be based on delivery address - if it's in Oz you need/are forced to use AmazonAU
  • The AmazonAU site is supposed to offer those products that ship to Oz on the AmazonUS site on the AmazonAU site (with the 10% tax theft). Seems like it's only AmazonUS though.
  • You should be able to order from overseas Amazons if the total is over $1000.
  • eBooks should still be able to be purchased from overseas stores (no deliver address)
Good work, Garry.... I hope you realise we're holding you liable for the accuracy of this information now
Old Jun 6th 2018, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

As a consolation prize you could try 20% off Ebay valid until 7.00pm PT. Not straightforward but it's 20%! https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/20-...w-live-2950568 If you want to use it more than once, buy as a guest.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think Garry is right - they are only going to ship to Australia the stuff that they already ship - which isn't very much - and just add GST. So no change really. For reasons only known themselves, Amazon cocked up their Australian launch, but they are definitely getting better - hence the $299 GoPro Hero 5 Black offer today (an extraordinary price). Any retailer or consumer who thinks that Amazon is not going to drive a freight train through Australian retail is kidding themselves

It will be interesting to see which retailers comply with this stupid tax. Of the online outfits that I use, Newegg are - just adding the tax and still shipping from the US, but it looks like the brilliant New York based B&H Photo isn't. M&S are. I doubt that many of the Chinese websites will

If a government is going to implement taxes on international online shopping, this is the way to do it. The collection-based system, like the UK has, is too expensive to administer (estimate of $900m to raise $300m in tax for Australia). I know a lot of people on here think civil servants are some kind of protected species but that's just stupid. In the UK - which has pathetically high tech and other prices already - you have to pay VAT and an admin fee to collect your parcel. Ridiculous. We don't want that shit here

ScoMo reckons that they're going to raise $300m over 4 years. Whoopie f**king doo, how ambitious. They could easily cut $75m a year in costs and not notice it one bit. Hell, they could sack a couple of hundred civil servants and get that with zero loss of productivity. So $75m a year to piss off a load of voters. Clever

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 7th 2018 at 11:48 am.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think Garry is right - they are only going to ship to Australia the stuff that they already ship - which isn't very much - and just add GST. So no change really.
So currently all books, dvds, and cds are shippable from UK Amazon to Aus. Lets see if that remains the case in 4 weeks time........
And what the is the answer tor the issue of people in Aus wanting to to use the UK site to get goods delivered to UK residents as gifts.....because the stuff I want to buy as gifts doesn't appear on Amazon Aus, even without thinking of the horrific shipping cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.