Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Old May 31st 2018, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-new-gst-rules

Amazon will not ship overseas goods to Australian customers after new GST rules that target international retailers come into effect in July.

Amazon’s new rule, announced on Thursday, will prevent Australians from buying from the Amazon US store – or any international Amazon stores – which frequently have cheaper goods and a greater range compared with the Australian Amazon store.

From 1 July this year, Australian customers who visit an international Amazon store will be redirected to the Australian site, which has been running since late last year.

================================================== ====

Might be possible to circumvent the ban using a VPN, but Amazon will not deliver to Australia so we'll need people in the UK, US or wherever to on-forward stuff to us.

As I'm sure most people have realised,Amazon Australia is just a waste of space.
Old May 31st 2018, 10:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bye Bye Decent Shopping - Amazon to block Australian customers

Originally Posted by Pollyana
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-new-gst-rules

Amazon will not ship overseas goods to Australian customers after new GST rules that target international retailers come into effect in July.

Amazon’s new rule, announced on Thursday, will prevent Australians from buying from the Amazon US store – or any international Amazon stores – which frequently have cheaper goods and a greater range compared with the Australian Amazon store.

From 1 July this year, Australian customers who visit an international Amazon store will be redirected to the Australian site, which has been running since late last year.

================================================== ====

Might be possible to circumvent the ban using a VPN, but Amazon will not deliver to Australia so we'll need people in the UK, US or wherever to on-forward stuff to us.

As I'm sure most people have realised,Amazon Australia is just a waste of space.
This is f++ked - I buy shitloads off their websites. I will still buy stuff from them and get it shipped here via my auntie in Hawaii or use a consolidator, but let's see what's available and the prices on Amazon Global. Most of the items on Amazon.com cannot be shipped to Australia anyway. I had a look at a few other US websites and Newegg are adding GST but still shipping to Australia and B&H Photo make no mention of GST for orders under $1000. I doubt that Chinese sites are going to collect GST for the Australian government! Lot's of other countries are looking at taxing online shopping and the UK has it a bit worse (especially given the higher prices there already) in that VAT AND import costs are charged at the moment on personal orders

Unfortunately, governments can't help themselves when it comes to collecting tax - they can never have enough

Amazon AU is rubbish but it is getting better and will definitely do so when they launch Prime. There's no question though that they bungled their launch here

Last edited by Amazulu; May 31st 2018 at 10:35 am.
Old May 31st 2018, 10:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that suitable way around this stupidity, possibly using forwarding agents, will be in operation before we get to July.

I doubt people will be paying much GST, but I do expect parcels will be further slowed down and impeded as politicians screw things up in an effort to delay the inevitable.

Remember to say 'thank you' to Joe Hockey and Big Ears Abbott who's daft idea and naked cash grab this was. Isn't it nice to realise they continue to have a malign influence so long after they were kicked out for incompetence? And also remember the next time you are told that "GST is a simple and efficient tax to collect, and it doesn't matter that it's regressive and hits lower income families most".

I'm sure you will agree that this is preferable to getting Gina to pay her fair share ....
Old May 31st 2018, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is f++ked - I buy shitloads off their websites. I will still buy stuff from them and get it shipped here via my auntie in Hawaii or use a consolidator, but let's see what's available and the prices on Amazon Global. Most of the items on Amazon.com cannot be shipped to Australia anyway. I had a look at a few other US websites and Newegg are adding GST but still shipping to Australia and B&H Photo make no mention of GST for orders under $1000. I doubt that Chinese sites are going to collect GST for the Australian government! Lot's of other countries are looking at taxing online shopping and the UK has it a bit worse (especially given the higher prices there already) in that VAT AND import costs are charged at the moment on personal orders

Unfortunately, governments can't help themselves when it comes to collecting tax - they can never have enough

Amazon AU is rubbish but it is getting better and will definitely do so when they launch Prime. There's no question though that they bungled their launch here
Its just f***ed as you say. I buy shedloads from Amazon, not just for myself but stuff as presents delivered direct to people in the UK. I'm reluctant to put a burden on family at home to ship things out for me, even if I can get access via a VPN.
They reckon this Amazon Global will have a very small amount of whats on UK and US, and we are bound to lose out. Amazon Aus is still pathetic, and I don't want to pay shipping fees to the UK when sending gifts.

I forsee two things - Amazon's loss will be ebay's gain, and Aus Post will have to lay people off due to the huge drop in parcel post.
Old May 31st 2018, 1:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The only things I get from Amazon US are kindle books and that's because people buy me gift cards which can only be used in the .com store. Every time I try and buy something tangible, I get the 'can't ship to Australia' note so I've given up trying.
Old May 31st 2018, 5:47 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The only things I get from Amazon US are kindle books and that's because people buy me gift cards which can only be used in the .com store. Every time I try and buy something tangible, I get the 'can't ship to Australia' note so I've given up trying.
My main annoyance is over the stuff I buy for the family. All my Christmas stuff and almost all the birthdays are done online with Amazon for delivery in the UK. No way am I using Amazon Aus and paying shipping (even if they stocked the stuff, which they don't.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My main annoyance is over the stuff I buy for the family. All my Christmas stuff and almost all the birthdays are done online with Amazon for delivery in the UK. No way am I using Amazon Aus and paying shipping (even if they stocked the stuff, which they don't.
I know you have family over here Polly, but if you need a third party to send one of your UK family members a gift direct from Amazon I'll be here for a while yet and would be happy to do that for you.
Old May 31st 2018, 10:13 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Its

I forsee two things - Amazon's loss will be ebay's gain, and Aus Post will have to lay people off due to the huge drop in parcel post.
My Local post office will be very happy. Every time I go in to pick up a parcel that they could not be bothered to deliver in the first place, they complain about the number of parcels they have to deal with every day, they take up too much room in the stock room and how hard it makes their job. They don't seem to want parcels which is crazy as it's where they make their money. Having said that they complain about passport applications too, which are also a good earner for them. But that's another thread..................
Old Jun 1st 2018, 5:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't considered this aspect - I use Amazon almost exclusively for my Christmas and family birthday shopping. Will need to VPN up for this going forward.

S
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:15 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I hadn't considered this aspect - I use Amazon almost exclusively for my Christmas and family birthday shopping. Will need to VPN up for this going forward.

S
I've got my fingers crossed that it'll be more like the Marks & Spencer site, where, so long as you promise faithfully that you're just sending it to a UK address, they let you access the good stuff.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I know you have family over here Polly, but if you need a third party to send one of your UK family members a gift direct from Amazon I'll be here for a while yet and would be happy to do that for you.
You're too kind I shall bear your offer in mind you lovely creature!

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
Yep, thats the bit I am most annoyed about. Its so easy to send presents that way, knowing they will arrive in a couple of days.

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I've got my fingers crossed that it'll be more like the Marks & Spencer site, where, so long as you promise faithfully that you're just sending it to a UK address, they let you access the good stuff.
I was kind of hoping that but everything I read seems to indicate that if it picks up an Aus IP address it will divert you to the Aus site, plus a so-xpcalled global site with a few generic items on it (something like 4 million as opposed to the entire UK site of over 50 million. Obviously we'll have to try it to be sure, but its not sounding good at present

I got accused today of supporting Amazon in its avoidance of GST. Its not that at all, in fact I would pay the GST in items coming into Asutralia if asked to do so. My argument is that its a) against free trade and b) preventing people from buying stuff to be delivered to UK residents, as gifts, so the goods are not coming anywhere near Australia.

Ebay sellers stand to gain a lot out of this I reckon.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have that issue. I send a hamper to the Mil and that's it.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:02 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I understand how they are going to block you from using Amazon UK for example because as people have said ........ a VPN will give you a different IP address. I wonder if they will connect it to Australian bank credit cards?
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:13 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm not sure I understand how they are going to block you from using Amazon UK for example because as people have said ........ a VPN will give you a different IP address. I wonder if they will connect it to Australian bank credit cards?
A VPN will allow access as they won't know we are in Aus, although we still have the problem that they may not deliver to Aus addresses. At least with a VPN we can order stuff to be delivered to the UK. We will have to wait and see whether people in the UK ordering stuff to be sent to friends in Aus are able to do so, or whether there will be a blanket ban on deliveries to Australia ( no more Christmas pressies coming my way then!)
But without a VPN any IP address detected as being in Aus will divert the site to the Aussie site - which is less use than a dead dog. Many people here don't have VPNs and when you are at work etc they don't often allow them. I recently did a big order of textbooks for work through Amazon UK as even with shipping it was cheaper than Amazon Au - but I did it from wirk and we have no VPN axxess there so unde the new regime I could not have done the order.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 1st 2018 at 7:15 am.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:22 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It would certainly piss me off as like you I order stuff from Amazon UK to be sent free of charge to UK addresses. It saves me from paying €12 to the Italian Post Office for a small package (money which can be spent on better or other gifts) and it eliminates the risk of the Italians losing packages. I always check both the Italian and UK Amazon if I need something for myself or the kids as a lot of stuff is cheaper on Amazon UK or just doesn't exist on the Italian one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.