Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying in WA? Be careful...

Wikiposts

Buying in WA? Be careful...

Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:35 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Buying in WA? Be careful...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
We may just buy a small investment property in a part of WA in which we would not want to live. That way, we get to live in a great area but still get some kind of foot on the WA property market.
This is what we are considering. Our house in the Uk is safely tenanted (for now) so we are considering an apartment as investment to get the proverbial foot in the door.

Stressful huh!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
This is what we are considering. Our house in the Uk is safely tenanted (for now) so we are considering an apartment as investment to get the proverbial foot in the door.

Stressful huh!
It could be but I think the biggest stress is finding somewhere to rent in Perth that you are happy to make your home long term. Once you have achieved this (and navigated around the real estate sharks), then you get the breathing space to figure out what to do.

Don't forget that if the market does rise say 15% this next year (I don't think it will but I have nothing other than gut feeling and the patterns shown over the rest of Australia to go by), followed by say 3% a year for the next two years after then this gives a simple (rather than compound) rise of 21% over three years. There are other investment vehicles where you could get something not too far behind 7% per annum (we've achieved 15% per annum just with unit trusts over the last two years) - minimising the difference between what your savings would be worth and what the potential property would be worth.

These figures are obviously hypothetical and they could be an over or under estimate but they serve to show that panic buying into the market might not necessarily result in the gains over the next few years through property price increases compared with the next best alternative.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:43 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnj

It is no longer the cheap option that it was compared to buying an established property, 3 years ago you could have picked up a block in a new develpoment for $60k now it's $150k,

Lynn

Aussie friends of ours bought their land (850sqm) for $61,000, built their property and have just sold it for $290,000. I think they sold at the right time.

I remember that she had to sleep overnight in her car to be one of the first in the queue when the land was released for sale...bet they don't do that now!!?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
http://www.ga.gov.au/urban/geohazard...ami_ausgeo.jsp

Interesting, and maybe not implausible when you consider that the earth's oceans are predicted to rise substantially with the melting of the polar icecaps....?
True but while the west coast got some high tides from the big tsunami it didn't get anything worse. I would be more worried about things that are more likely to affect house prices like freeway extensions, rescessions etc etc etc
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:02 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We live in a fantastic house, pool, sea views, the lot and we rent. People ask us why we "waste" money renting and it's because if we did have a mortgage, for the same rent we are paying we'd barely be able to afford a $300,000 house rather than the $1,000,000 one we currently live in.

We do still own a lovely house in the UK and we can't bring ourselves to sell it.

People have spoken about things like terrorist attacks or Tsunamis but there are a couple of much more likely things that could affect house prices in Australia - bird flu and peak oil. The first might not happen the second will, possibly very soon and could cause a major economic collapse.
Fair play, I wouldn't dream of knocking anyone for their choices, but personally I was ver happy to ditch links to the UK and feel more committed to Australia.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:11 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

We live in a fantastic house, pool, sea views, the lot and we rent. People ask us why we "waste" money renting and it's because if we did have a mortgage, for the same rent we are paying we'd barely be able to afford a $300,000 house rather than the $1,000,000 one we currently live in.

We do still own a lovely house in the UK and we can't bring ourselves to sell it.

People have spoken about things like terrorist attacks or Tsunamis but there are a couple of much more likely things that could affect house prices in Australia - bird flu and peak oil. The first might not happen the second will, possibly very soon and could cause a major economic collapse.
Renth, I think the tasteful green changing rooms on Beaumaris school oval are going for about $300k right now. Invest in bricks and mortar near the sea - you know it makes sense! You could even demolish them and build a two storey with 'ocean glimpses' between Dewsons and Blockbuster!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:11 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
It could be but I think the biggest stress is finding somewhere to rent in Perth that you are happy to make your home long term. Once you have achieved this (and navigated around the real estate sharks), then you get the breathing space to figure out what to do.

Don't forget that if the market does rise say 15% this next year (I don't think it will but I have nothing other than gut feeling and the patterns shown over the rest of Australia to go by), followed by say 3% a year for the next two years after then this gives a simple (rather than compound) rise of 21% over three years. There are other investment vehicles where you could get something not too far behind 7% per annum (we've achieved 15% per annum just with unit trusts over the last two years) - minimising the difference between what your savings would be worth and what the potential property would be worth.

These figures are obviously hypothetical and they could be an over or under estimate but they serve to show that panic buying into the market might not necessarily result in the gains over the next few years through property price increases compared with the next best alternative.
In the end we chose a rental property that is in a gorgeous area, is big, has a pool, plenty of room for guests, walking distance to shops and restaurants, 10 minutes walk to beach but we compromised with the actual look of the house. But we are renting with two young children and a dog, so...... it suits us. I do get a little green eyed when I go to friends house's tho'.

We have decided that panic buying (and selling) is not for us, so will watch the market and decide in the next 12 months what to do.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
I remember that she had to sleep overnight in her car to be one of the first in the queue when the land was released for sale...bet they don't do that now!!?
They certainly do, people were camping out for a number of recent land releases in the northen Perth suburbs, for really small blocks.

The property developers have realised that they can get just as much for a smaller block as they used to get for the traditional quater acre. Money for old rope I say.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:38 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

They certainly do, people were camping out for a number of recent land releases in the northen Perth suburbs, for really small blocks.

The property developers have realised that they can get just as much for a smaller block as they used to get for the traditional quater acre. Money for old rope I say.
Blimey thought that may have been a thing of the past!! Pricey too I bet!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
Blimey thought that may have been a thing of the past!! Pricey too I bet!
I think one of the places was Brighton. I can't remember the prices but it's still over $100,000 for a small block.

Nothing like Harbour Rise here are the latest prices for some blocks, INSANE :

450sqm $525,000 - Right on the Front, opposite “A” Class Reserve
600sqm DUPLEX $595,000 - Great Value
859sqm $690,000 - Views over Marina Enter off Barbados
450sqm $410-$449,000 - Quiet Way OFFERS COSIDERED
451sqm $550,000 - Beachfront
450sqm $560,000 - Beachfront

http://www.harbourrise.com.au/land.htm
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:50 am
(It's not my real name)

Here's a Harbour Rise bargain you wouldn't want to miss:

"This has to be the best value for money in Perth.:"

353 Sqm - $560,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:07 am
home again, home again

Here's a Harbour Rise bargain you wouldn't want to miss:

"This has to be the best value for money in Perth.:"

353 Sqm - $560,000

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=
That was waste land when we left, I think they were just about building on the plot above this part. Looks lovely though
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=renth]I think one of the places was Brighton. I can't remember the prices but it's still over $100,000 for a small block.

Nothing like Harbour Rise here are the latest prices for some blocks, INSANE :

450sqm $525,000 - Right on the Front, opposite “A” Class Reserve
600sqm DUPLEX $595,000 - Great Value
859sqm $690,000 - Views over Marina Enter off Barbados
450sqm $410-$449,000 - Quiet Way OFFERS COSIDERED

The last Brighton release which was for blocks in Ridgewood saw people camping out for 5 days before the release. 600sqm blocks were selling for $150k. all the blocks were gone by the time the people who had camped out for 2 days hit the front of the queue. 2 years ago you could have bought a 4x2 in Ridgewood for $150k.

Lynn
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:00 am
home again, home again

[QUOTE=lynnj]

The last Brighton release which was for blocks in Ridgewood saw people camping out for 5 days before the release. 600sqm blocks were selling for $150k. all the blocks were gone by the time the people who had camped out for 2 days hit the front of the queue. 2 years ago you could have bought a 4x2 in Ridgewood for $150k.

Lynn
This has got to be the cheaper option to buying an already established house as the prices for those really seems to have shot up? Although I think it's taking the builders longer to build them than two years ago?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:14 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=janeyray]
Originally Posted by lynnj
This has got to be the cheaper option to buying an already established house as the prices for those really seems to have shot up? Although I think it's taking the builders longer to build them than two years ago?
$150k for your land plus at least the same again for your build plus finishing costs......... factor in the rent you pay while you are building and there probably isn't much in it.

Lynn