Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a vehicle - what are the (hidden) costs?

Buying a vehicle - what are the (hidden) costs?

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Sorrento is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a vehicle - what are the (hidden) costs?

Hi

I'm using carsales.com.au and the like to do some research into how much a new or near new vehicle is likely to set us back once we arrive in Melbourne in a few weeks time.

The forecourt price is one thing - but what else do I need to add on - any taxes or registration costs? I would really appreciate any help you can offer in this area. I want to budget for as many 'hidden' costs as possible....

Many thanks,

Sorrento
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a vehicle - what are the (hidden) costs?

You pay stamp duty on used cars which was a bit of a shock to us. Can't remember the percentage but we had done the deal and only realised this as we completed the paperwork - we were pretty hacked off that we hadn't been told but obviously all Australians would know this already.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Sorrento is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - something to look out for - I wonder if anyone knows the % that the Stamp Duty amounts to? Sounds as though it might make new cars a more attractive proposition.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Try this link

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/on..._will_you_pay/
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:48 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Ask for the on the road cost and haggle from there.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really niceloubiegreen is just really nice

Hi, sorry for being a bit thick but do they expect you to haggle the price? Maybe a stupid question but would rather know than make a complete fool of myself as I don't need much help to do that lol.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Is there a stamp duty on cars in the NT? It didn't show it on that website, it isn't on the NT government website and I haven't found it via search engine
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiegreen View Post
...but do they expect you to haggle the price?...
Yes... but if you can't be arsed to waste hours and hours of your time the best way by far is to use a car broker... have a search and you'll find plenty of threads about it and some examples of the savings some of us made...
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brav View Post
Is there a stamp duty on cars in the NT? It didn't show it on that website, it isn't on the NT government website and I haven't found it via search engine

Yes: http://www.revenue.nt.gov.au/oversd.shtml
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Just read this

"On 20 April 2005, it was announced by the Treasurers of various States or Territories that they will phase out a number of duties over the course of the next five years. However, duty on transfer of ownership in land will remain."

Maybe they do away with tax on vehicle?

Also this

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...03-462,00.html

The states are slowly getting rid of state taxes, such as duty on mortgages, rents and leases, albeit at different speeds, and not fully until as far out as 2012 in some cases.

Last edited by Brav; Mar 2nd 2008 at 8:48 pm.