Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BUYING A VEHICLE WHAT DO YOU NEED

BUYING A VEHICLE WHAT DO YOU NEED

Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Paul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nicePaul from Poole is just really nice
Default BUYING A VEHICLE WHAT DO YOU NEED

HI WE ARRIVE IN BRISBANE ON THE 2ND DEC, I WANT TO BUY A VEHICLE IN ADVANCE SO ITS READY WHEN WE GET THERE. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO.WHAT DOCUMENTS, INSURANCE, DO YOU NEED AN ADDRESS.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUYING A VEHICLE WHAT DO YOU NEED

OK when we bought our car we were told it was much easier if we had a driving licence so we got one. No worries after that. Otherwise you need proof of address etc etc etc.

Jo
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:01 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I think we got away with passport and two credit cards as proof but it was a bit of a drama as they were faxed accross etc.

As above it much easier to get your driver license, and then do it as everything road wise is linked to your driver number in QLD

Read http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...otor_vehicles/

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...tforms/QF4362/

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...tforms/QF3518/

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...qtforms/QF3503
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:16 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: BUYING A VEHICLE WHAT DO YOU NEED

you also have to pay stamp duty on second hand cars!

bit like buying a house in the uk, the stamp duty goes up the more the car costs.

... then like the UK the car slowly depreciates in value!

sorry bit too much wine...

hic'

</IMG>
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

sarahntonygoingtooz is on a distinguished road

We got married just before coming over and I had documents in married name, passport, and UK driving licence, unfortunately Queenslands government wouldn't accept my marriage cert as proof because it hadn't been certified (e.g. embrossed stamp)

So although my permanment residence visa had been transfered and my passport changed - I couldn't buy a car in queensland and my husnband had to buy it for me!!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

did know about the stamp duty on cars!!

who gets that and whats it for?

Thought i was leaving a 'tax you for whatever we like state!'

Here's the guide 2% or not its gotta be better off in my pocket

Although QLD seems the fairest

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/on...l_you_pay/#qld

Dougie
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
did know about the stamp duty on cars!!

who gets that and whats it for?

Thought i was leaving a 'tax you for whatever we like state!'

Here's the guide 2% or not its gotta be better off in my pocket

Although QLD seems the fairest

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/on...l_you_pay/#qld

Dougie

Oh dear!!! Tax and more tax here. Plus the lovely stamp duty.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

What is the situation if you buy in one state and drive to live in another?

Going to SA and looks like it will cost a lot more there than any of the adjoining states.

Twinset
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi unless you are buying new i would rent for 4 weeks, ive seen to many families buy from uk then had large garage bills the week after. In the uk we decided to go for holden rodeo think it was $40000 new but should be good for 5 years trouble free motoring. After arriving in aus we found we needed two cars so went for a newish lancer & rodeo ute 15 year old with no rust , this worked out well as we had to buy & transport beds, fridge, washers ect.
good luck with the move Gary